Sign in with
Your question

Can Drag But Can't Drop Files

Last response: in Windows 7
February 1, 2012 2:34:08 PM

So I've read into the various can't drag and drop issues with Windows 7, but none seem to be exactly the same as this one. The big one of disabling UAC and reenabling it hasn't done anything for me. I'm hoping that someone here might have some insight into this.

The other day I found that I was unable to move files around in Windows by dragging and dropping. I am fully capable of dragging the files, but as soon as I drop them, they just go right back to where they were. No moving, no copying, no error message, just a lack of anything past me dragging an icon and it resuming its original position.

More about : drag drop files

February 1, 2012 2:47:19 PM

Where are you trying to drop the files?
February 1, 2012 6:49:58 PM

From Desktop to folder on Desktop, folder to folder, folder to external drive. The location makes no difference. It seems to be the case for all of windows.
Related resources
February 1, 2012 7:42:56 PM

This might have to do with your permissions on the drive.
Right click on the drive or folder click properties, and make sure under security the user account you are under is able to make these changes, even if you are an admin you may not have permission if the drive was used originally by another pc.
February 2, 2012 1:07:06 AM

Windows has disabled this valuable option. I've spent much time researching it as well.

Arranging files for easy accessibility or convenience is no longer an option in win7. You have to let windows arrange your files for you using auto arrange. Which means manually organizing music, pics, etc in a single folder is impossible. The only drag and drop you can do is from one folder to a different folder.
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 1:15:31 AM

EpyonAC said:
From Desktop to folder on Desktop, folder to folder, folder to external drive. The location makes no difference. It seems to be the case for all of windows.
This is not normal Win7 behavior.
Boot up in Safe Mode and see if you can do it there.

a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 1:19:36 AM

pharoahhalfdead said:
Windows has disabled this valuable option. I've spent much time researching it as well.

Arranging files for easy accessibility or convenience is no longer an option in win7. You have to let windows arrange your files for you using auto arrange. Which means manually organizing music, pics, etc in a single folder is impossible. The only drag and drop you can do is from one folder to a different folder.
I can do everything you say is impossible.
I wonder why that is?
February 2, 2012 1:46:00 AM

WR2 said:
I can do everything you say is impossible.
I wonder why that is?

So booting up in safe mode is the only way to do it? Once you reboot normally does everythang revert back?
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 1:47:29 AM

Not on my system. No limitations on dragging and dropping.
February 3, 2012 12:00:21 AM

Which version of windows are you on? I know there are severe limitations to windows 7 starter edition and a few other versions.
February 4, 2012 3:52:07 PM

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
February 16, 2012 4:55:55 PM

Safe mode doesn't change the situation. Still can't move files by dragging and dropping. Need to Cut/Copy then paste.

Does anyone have any ideas or is this a Microsoft hasn't ever fixed it sort of problem???
April 17, 2013 10:40:17 AM

Was this ever resolved? I have the EXACT same issue.
April 17, 2013 10:40:17 AM

April 17, 2013 10:40:18 AM

April 17, 2013 1:07:44 PM

I had almost given up finally got this fixed about two weeks ago. The problem was that my mouse of all things was malfunctioning. Apparently the mouse was sending a signal as though a button was being held down constantly. Swapped to a new Razer mouse and haven't had a problem since. So for future reference to those with this issue, try swapping the mouse.

This problem can be marked as solved finally.
!