Computer restarting, not sure whats wrong.

KH3player

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Alright so iv'e looked at this site for awhile and it has helped me a few times, but im stuck. Ive been looking up for several days on this and nothing.

So it started about 3 weeks ago that my computer shut down and restarted itself and it came up with the message "CPU Fan Has Failed". So i restarted it and it didnt come up again and it booted into windows, then about 10min later it restarted again and did several times. So i decided to go ahead and replace the CPU Fan and Heatsink and i did because i thought the CPU was just getting too hot and shutting the computer down. I installed the new one and its working fine, the CPU and Motherboard are around 29C which is good and the fan is going at 2300RPM which is good. So if Overheating isnt the problem then what could it be? I also tested the RAM and came up as 3 Passes so its not that. Im just not sure if its Hardware or Software thats the issue.

Notes:

1. It shouldn't be overheating, most likely not the problem
2. Not the Memory, came back 3 Passes
3. It was working perfectly for 3 Months then started doing this.
4. If idle or not messed with it will not restart itself (stayed on for 10hrs without a problem), only when i am working on it then it takes about an hour for it to do it again.
5. I use this computer for ALOT of gaming.
6. It will restart at random times, doesnt matter if im doing anything specific.

Specs
Intel i5 3570K (Not Overclocked)
PSU 850W
GPU: Nvidia 570 GTX 2.5GB
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V Pro LGA 1155
RAM; 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3

I have looked up other things like possibly re installing Windows but im trying to avoid that.

Need anymore info and ill most likely have it.

Illsteward

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

A quick question - are you sure that the CPU fan is correctly provided with SW rotational controls? Almost all modern motherboards have BIOS option to set up the CPU's fan speed, either manualy, or to automatic.

The problem may be that when set to Automatic, your controller may mis-work and acidentaly slow down the fan instead of accelerating it. You are giving a temperature of 29 degrees Celsium. Is that in idle state, or from BIOS in booting? Or is it after such a heavy workload?

I have encountered two similar problems in the past. One was with mis-working fan controller, as described above. The other was with high-speed fan that - even if propertly seated - created a small gust of wind that basically resulted in the air AROUND the CPU circulating, but the unit itself transfering it's heat only to passive part of the cooler and both of the said problems led to overheating only under stress.

If you can measure the temperatures for a constant time (I think that in Windows, the included System Monitor might be of good use in this, because it can be set to save it's recordings right before crash), you can find out if it's the former (there will be sharp, disproportional rise in temperature) or the latter (the temperature will very slowly build-up, than the build-up will be more and more significant).

KH3player

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Ive looked high and low in the BIOS to turn off auto control but couldnt find it. But thats not the problem because i downloaded Fan Xpert 2 to change the speed and i got it from 1000RPM to 2300-2400 RPM with it. ( and i know its working cuz i can hear it. I really dont think its a heat issue

KH3player

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

I have a Corsair 850W. Im gonna try a spare PSU that i was able to get and see if thats what it is. I hope its that simple

KH3player

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

I do know that it is working. But if you can tell me how to turn of auto fan control in an Asus BIOS by alll means tell me. I cant seem to find it.

KH3player

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Im Using a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 'Heatpipe Direct Contact' 92mm

PSU: Corsair 850W

When it restarted i tried to play a game and it worked and i played for 20Min. Then stopped then after about 10min of Youtube it restarted.

THEN when it came back up i went to youtube again and i was on it for 45min and played a game for 10min and it fidnt restart. So i dont think it matters what in doing. Its just random in a way.

KH3player

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Fan Xpert 2 does all of that it has:

Fan Speed RPM
Voltage
Temps of everything

Along with being able to adjust fan speed up to 2600 RPM

KH3player

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

They stay on 29c or 30c. Im only on youtube or when im on the internet or just on the computer, im not even playing a game when it shuts down.

KH3player

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Someone IRl also suggested its the PSU so I have replaced it with a different one and im gonna see what happens.
(im using it now)
I hope thats ALL it is.