Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build - This Weekend

Last response: in Systems
July 19, 2012 10:59:07 AM

Hey all,

So, I have decided to build gaming rig (for lack of better words) this coming weekend (Saturday 21st). The parts I have compiled are all from an Australian site name Umart (I live in Australia), which price competitively, so please don't link me to Newegg or anything of that sort.

Firstly, I'll explain something. The Video Card which I have chosen (the oc Sapphire 7970) cannot be changed, due to my need for a "MINI"Displayport output. I am connecting this build to a 27" 2560x1440 2010 iMac via Mini-Displayport, therefore cannot change to the Nvidia 670 or 680 (no, I shall not use converters to appease the masses + I believe the 3g of Vram will assist at this resolution).

So here is my build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K/3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/LGA1155 Ivy Bridge - $355.00

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO + BitFenix Spectre PRO Series 120mm Fan (Additional Fan) - $37 + $23.00

Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 - $259.00

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) Perf XMP 1.3 - $125.00

Case: CoolerMaster HAF X 942 Black + CoolerMaster 200mm Red Led Case Fan - $189.00 + $16.00

SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120G SATA3 SSD - $101.00

HDD: 4 Spare HDD's + 1 External - Free

Optical Drive: LG Black Blue Ray HD Combo - $55.00

PSU: SilverStone ST85F-P 850W Strider Plus Power Supply 80+ Silver - $159.00

GPU: Sapphire ATI HD 7970 OC 3GB (Unchangeable) - $509.00

Grand Total = $1828.00

My budget is precisely $1830 (allowing $10 if need be), and has allowed me to come up with this build. To be honest, I am extremely happy with all the parts and prices, considering this is Australia and we have no access to Newegg or cheaper computer part stores.

Anyway, I would appreciate any improvements within the budget, and additionally opinions on the build as a whole. Don't worry about peripherals, I already have my mouse/keyboard/speaker system. Thank you in advance for your help!

Edit: I don't need an OS, I will be obtaining Windows 7 through my own distributors...

More about : build weekend

July 19, 2012 11:22:18 AM

TheBigTroll said:
i dont even know why you bought a imac display when you can get something that is much cheaper

heres what i would get. should be silent

http://pcpartpicker.com/au/p/cwoU

It isn't an iMac display, it is an iMac with a MDp input. I had purchased this iMac in 2010 for video editing purposes, and discovered that these models can operate in Target Display Mode, acting as a monitor - so I am now using it as one.
m
l
Related resources
July 19, 2012 11:23:33 AM

it should have a full size display port or a dvi port
m
l
July 19, 2012 11:24:37 AM

big troll has a great build.
m
l
July 19, 2012 11:24:39 AM

one more thing to take note of is that apple displays are not suited for games so i can already suspect that it will have a slightly higher response time
m
l
July 19, 2012 11:34:03 AM

TheBigTroll said:
one more thing to take note of is that apple displays are not suited for games so i can already suspect that it will have a slightly higher response time

It is not meant to act solely as a monitor, just has the option, so only has a MDp which was upgraded to Thunderbolt in the 2011+ models, thankfully the 2010 model had it still as MDp.

Secondly, with a response time of 10ms (GTG) it is comparable to similar Samsung monitors at 27" (6ms), despite the fact that all but one of theirs support only 1920x1080. I am not here to dispute monitors, but thank you for your contribution anyway.
m
l
July 19, 2012 11:37:00 AM

For a gaming rig its quite overkill. You don't need an i7, 16GB of RAM or an 850W PSU as on a single monitor you will never need more than dual cards. TheBigTroll's rig is perfect for a gaming build (SSD is a bit big though).

Also consider ordering from PC Case Gear as well. I find that them, Umart and MSY always have the cheapest prices between them.
m
l
July 19, 2012 12:43:12 PM

there is a large difference between 10ms and 6ms espically when you start playing fps or RPGs. that applies for me mainly. depends on the person

heck the ssd isnt big. it should be that big given how much money you are going to spend. plus the 256gb performs a fair bit better than th 128gb
m
l

Best solution

July 19, 2012 12:48:00 PM

I'm having difficulty filling my 128GB (most games and user files on the HDD, all programs and OS on the SSD). And the performance increase isn't the reason to get a bigger SSD. And if I wanted to waste $100 in a build I would put it into the case (as you can see below) or a good water cooler (or maybe RAID 0 some small HDD's?).
July 19, 2012 1:45:23 PM

RAID 0 hard drives dont really make much sense. the most speed you can get out of them is probably 300mb/s and if one drive dies, the other one dies along with it

i tend to use a fair bit of space since i have a couple of steam games and i store all my files on the SSD. if you dont think it is useful to have that much space, you can always downgrade
m
l
July 19, 2012 2:05:17 PM

TheBigTroll said:
RAID 0 hard drives dont really make much sense. the most speed you can get out of them is probably 300mb/s and if one drive dies, the other one dies along with it

i tend to use a fair bit of space since i have a couple of steam games and i store all my files on the SSD. if you dont think it is useful to have that much space, you can always downgrade

You really need to research a bit more...you do know what RAID 0 does right?

Quote:
RAID 0 results indicate very good performance scaling, peaking at around 1GB/s with both sequential read and write tests.

m
l
July 19, 2012 2:10:42 PM

HARD DRIVES not SSDs
m
l
July 19, 2012 2:13:56 PM

and i do know what is raid
m
l
July 19, 2012 2:23:00 PM

TheBigTroll said:
HARD DRIVES not SSDs

Same concept, except you need to back up your files especially if storing things in RAID configurations. If your motherboards supports RAID 10, go for it. Your speeds would greatly increase, and you would not have to worry about loosing files due to a bad hard drive or a RAID 0 failure. Down the road when I have a little more money to spend, I will be building a RAID 10 array with 4 1TB HHDs.

Quote:
RAID Level Total array capacity Fault tolerance Read speed Write speed
RAID-10
500GB x 4 disks 1000 GB 1 disk 4X 2X
RAID-5
500GB x 3 disks 1000 GB 1 disk 2X Speed of a RAID 5 depends upon the controller implementation

You can clearly see RAID 10 outperforms RAID 5 at fraction of cost in terms of read and write operations.
m
l
July 19, 2012 2:27:31 PM

im talking mainly about the speed benefit of raid 0 hard drives. there isnt much.

yes, raid 10 would be the best but then you need more hard drives which doesnt make much sense.

i dont think he will be doing raid anyways
m
l
July 19, 2012 2:33:32 PM

RAID comes down to personal preference. It is just like any other computer component, cost vs gain. If you do not have your personal files in some type of RAID 1 config, your playing with fire IMO. To me, RAID 1 and RAID 0 give you what you pay for. RAID 10 is border line cookoo, but hey we also run water through our computers, force voltage through our CPU's, run torture tests on our systems, and I think cookoo jumped ship a long time ago.

Speed benefits of RAID 0 vary (sata II vs sata III), but always nearly double performance.
m
l
July 20, 2012 6:13:27 AM

I meant RAID'ing some HDD's just as a way to waste some cash. I have no intention to do it (though I have considered a RAID1 since I'm lazy with backups), it was just a thought. Didn't think it would start an argument.
m
l
July 20, 2012 6:17:05 AM

TheBigTroll said:
there is a large difference between 10ms and 6ms espically when you start playing fps or RPGs. that applies for me mainly. depends on the person

heck the ssd isnt big. it should be that big given how much money you are going to spend. plus the 256gb performs a fair bit better than th 128gb

So you know how to measure response time? Most of the time, the listed response time by the manufacturer isn't correct.
m
l
October 23, 2012 8:25:20 AM

Best answer selected by Thrallsman.
m
l
!