Want To Move From Amd To Nvidia, Will Prices Drop?

velazkid

Distinguished
May 26, 2012
Hello, I want to upgrade my GPU sometime this year most likely. I've never really followed Nvidia pricing trends so I don't know what to expect out of these new cards. I've been using a 5850 for the past couple of years and really want to move on to Nvidia seeing as I've been hearing drivers for these cards are much more reliable. The fact that just more games seem to be optimized for Nvidia (BF3, Arkham City, any Crysis) has made this decision a lot more clear cut then it was a few years ago. What's always turned me off from Nvidia products however, is the price. I payed $300 for my 5850, and that's always where I've drawn the line for GPU upgrades. With the release of the GTX 670 though, I might be willing to give a little bit more, seeing as how I really want one.

I had been reading reviews on the 570 before hand until I discovered the 670 was just released. One review said the 570 released at $350. Now they are at $300. The 670 released at ~$400 and of course, hasn't moved yet. Can we expect it to? If so, by how much? I would think it would be at least $50, if not more. Only basing that on it's predecessors price range though, and that might be irrelevant since I've heard fewer cutbacks were taken to the 670 from it's big brother the 680 than the 570 to the 580. If, or rather when(?) the card takes a price dive, how long can we expect that to be? A few months? A year? It seems to me that $350 is the sweet spot for this card, but that might be reaching to some people. Can some of you Nvidia vets tell me your predictions on this topic, so that I might pinpoint a smart time to by one? $400 just itches me the wrong way to be honest. It's at that price point that I get that little voice in my head. His name is doubt. He tells me I should just wait for DX 11.1 cards. Or that it's not enough bang for buck. Maybe even tells me that there are better things to buy. I don't like him, but he shows up whenever I see a high dollar amount. So help me out guys. I sure need it.

noreaster

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I always seek council from Best Graphics Cards For The Money: May 2012. As you can tell its a monthly review of graphics cards and their price tendancies, they give you recommendations based on your budget and rank the graphics cards by teirs of relative performance at the end so you can compare your current graphics card to one you are interested in. And you can sift through previous months to see the trend of prices over time to give you an idea of when to buy.

velazkid

Distinguished
May 26, 2012
Hmm, interesting, I'll keep an eye on that. Hopefully they talk a lot about the 670 when they update for June.