Cannot get bf1942 server working

Hi everyone,

I've got a problem using de dedicated bf1942 server and hope some of you
might have an idea. I cannot connect to the server from any external
location. It's only possible to connect using the internal IP.

First of all let me explain my current configuration:
- PC running latest BF1942 client on WinXP (10.0.0.8)
- Laptop running latest dedicated server on WinXP (10.0.0.9)
- ADSL connection with router running DHCP (10.0.0.1 and external IP)

What I've done so far:
- Setup router to forward UDP port 14567 to 10.0.0.9
- Enabled BF1942 server when Windows Firewall pop-up message appeared
- Used custom network property setup to enable port 14567
- Placed 10.0.0.9 in the DMZ table on the router

However, I've been unsuccesful in making an external connection until now.
I've also tried the disable the firewall as a whole and used the BF1942
Server Manager but did didn't help either. I'm hoping for your input....

Kind regards,

Dutch

"Adri van den Wittenboer .nl>" <duckyman@xs4all<nospam>

Well you didn't say the model of router, but that's probably where the
problem is.

> What I've done so far:
> - Setup router to forward UDP port 14567 to 10.0.0.9

Which should be a NAT RDR rule, sounds OK.

> - Enabled BF1942 server when Windows Firewall pop-up message appeared

Presumably this was on server laptop, again, OK.

> - Used custom network property setup to enable port 14567

Please explain where you did this - on the router?

> - Placed 10.0.0.9 in the DMZ table on the router

And there is a firewall rule which allows port 14567 packet type UDF to pass
to the DMZ? Maybe the previous step you described?

> However, I've been unsuccesful in making an external connection until now.
> I've also tried the disable the firewall as a whole and used the BF1942
> Server Manager but did didn't help either. I'm hoping for your input....

You are trying to connect using "add server -> ip address" you are not
looking for the server in the in-game browser?

L.

Hi Lorian,

Thanx for your quick reply...

> Well you didn't say the model of router, but that's probably where the
> problem is.

It's a Trust Speedlink XDSL 445A.

> Presumably this was on server laptop, again, OK.

Correct.

> Please explain where you did this - on the router?

Windows Firewall exception settings

> And there is a firewall rule which allows port 14567 packet type UDF to
> pass to the DMZ? Maybe the previous step you described?

Actually placed it in the DMZ after the first options didn't work.

> You are trying to connect using "add server -> ip address" you are not
> looking for the server in the in-game browser?

Correct. If I type in the internal IP of the laptop (hosting the game) I can
connect. If you use my external IP it doesn't :-(

Cheers,

Dutch...

"Adri van den Wittenboer .nl>" <duckyman@xs4all<nospam> wrote in message
> Hi Lorian,
>
> Thanx for your quick reply...
>
> > Well you didn't say the model of router, but that's probably where the
> > problem is.
>
> It's a Trust Speedlink XDSL 445A.
>
> > Presumably this was on server laptop, again, OK.
>
> Correct.
>
> > Please explain where you did this - on the router?
>
> Windows Firewall exception settings
>
> > And there is a firewall rule which allows port 14567 packet type UDF to
> > pass to the DMZ? Maybe the previous step you described?
>
> Actually placed it in the DMZ after the first options didn't work.
>
> > You are trying to connect using "add server -> ip address" you are not
> > looking for the server in the in-game browser?
>
> Correct. If I type in the internal IP of the laptop (hosting the game) I
can
> connect. If you use my external IP it doesn't :-(
>
> Cheers,
>

> Dutch...

is the server setup as lan only?

dr ratt

Hi dr ratt,

> is the server setup as lan only?

Nope, can't be that either... it's definatly marked as "Internet"

Grz,

A3

"Adri van den Wittenboer .nl>" <duckyman@xs4all<nospam> wrote in message

On the router (I am not familiar with you model) there are two things to do:

Add a NAT RDR (Network Address Translation ReDiRect) to forwars 14567(UDP)
to 10.0.0.9 which you have done.

But also you almost certainly need to set up a firewall rule in the router
(assuming it has one) to allow 14567(UDP) to be passed from the external IP
address to the internal LAN address of the router (or to the DMZ).

L.

Hi Lorian,

> But also you almost certainly need to set up a firewall rule in the router
> (assuming it has one) to allow 14567(UDP) to be passed from the external
> IP address to the internal LAN address of the router (or to the DMZ).

I've just read that it could be some kind of 'loop' bug which causes
internal PC's being unable to 'see' the server using the external IP...
Anyway could someone please try to connect to 80.126.92.101 on port 14567
(default) to check this?

Thanks again.

Dutch

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:13:55 +0100, "Adri van den Wittenboer"
<duckyman@xs4all<nospam>.nl> wrote:

>I've just read that it could be some kind of 'loop' bug which causes
>internal PC's being unable to 'see' the server using the external IP...

That is true and I would have suggested that, but your previous
messages read like you were getting others to try connecting
externally. It isn't a bug.
--
Andrew, AKA DeadDred

> Hi Lorian,
>
>> But also you almost certainly need to set up a firewall rule in the
>> router (assuming it has one) to allow 14567(UDP) to be passed from the
>> external IP address to the internal LAN address of the router (or to the
>> DMZ).
>
> I've just read that it could be some kind of 'loop' bug which causes
> internal PC's being unable to 'see' the server using the external IP...
> Anyway could someone please try to connect to 80.126.92.101 on port 14567
> (default) to check this?

It's not a bug, it's a feature. Most high end firewalls, as well as most
routers with NAT, will not allow packets back to the same interface they
came from. As your internal PC will pass the packet to the router to get to
80.126.92.101, the router will not pass it back. It's part of the
anti-spoofing features - there should never be a need for a packet passed
into the router to go out of any interface except the one it didn't come in
on.

However, you should be able to connect to the server from a PC on the same
LAN using it's internal address, and from a machine on the net using the
external address.

Dan

Hi everyone,

Thanx for all your help and info... It seems I didn't have a problem at all
:)

Grz,

> Hi everyone,
>
> Thanx for all your help and info... It seems I didn't have a problem at
> all :)

Glad to hear it.

L.

Malcolm

Adri van den Wittenboer <duckyman@xs4all wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've got a problem using de dedicated bf1942 server and hope some of you
> might have an idea. I cannot connect to the server from any external
> location. It's only possible to connect using the internal IP.
>
> First of all let me explain my current configuration:
> - PC running latest BF1942 client on WinXP (10.0.0.8)
> - Laptop running latest dedicated server on WinXP (10.0.0.9)
> - ADSL connection with router running DHCP (10.0.0.1 and external IP)
>
> What I've done so far:
> - Setup router to forward UDP port 14567 to 10.0.0.9
> - Enabled BF1942 server when Windows Firewall pop-up message appeared
> - Used custom network property setup to enable port 14567
> - Placed 10.0.0.9 in the DMZ table on the router
>
> However, I've been unsuccesful in making an external connection until now.
> I've also tried the disable the firewall as a whole and used the BF1942
> Server Manager but did didn't help either. I'm hoping for your input....
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Dutch

this might help too

http://www.lanage.ca/lanage_game_server_setup_guides_battlefield_1942.php#firewall