Do any current phones store address info? Was MPX220 ever ..

Last response: in Network Providers
August 16, 2005 9:46:46 PM

Replacing my Siemens S46 and I'm looking for a current phone that stores
addresses (& web? &/or e-mail?) along with multiple phone numbers in the
CONTACTS or PHONEBOOK. Should also sync with MS Outlook 2003.

Appears that the BlackBerry, Treo and Siemens PDA/phones have organizer
info, but they don't work on Singular's MEdiaNet. Instead, they seem to
require the more expensive "BlackBerry" data plan. The Audiovox SMT5600
smartphone also requires the more expensive data plan.

The Motorola MPX220 would have been nice and was compatible with MEdiaNet,
but was apparently recalled. Was that problem ever fixed? Moto still has
it on their website. Would finding a used and/or unlocked one work?
August 17, 2005 8:20:10 AM

No.

Fred

"[ a m z ]" <amz.REMOVETHIS@eskimo.REMOVETHIS.com> wrote in message
> Replacing my Siemens S46 and I'm looking for a current phone that stores
> addresses (& web? &/or e-mail?) along with multiple phone numbers in the
> CONTACTS or PHONEBOOK. Should also sync with MS Outlook 2003.
>
> Appears that the BlackBerry, Treo and Siemens PDA/phones have organizer
> info, but they don't work on Singular's MEdiaNet. Instead, they seem to
> require the more expensive "BlackBerry" data plan. The Audiovox SMT5600
> smartphone also requires the more expensive data plan.
>
> The Motorola MPX220 would have been nice and was compatible with MEdiaNet,
> but was apparently recalled. Was that problem ever fixed? Moto still has
> it on their website. Would finding a used and/or unlocked one work?

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:39:28 AM

"Fred" wrote:
> "[ a m z ]" wrote:
> > Replacing my Siemens S46 and I'm looking for a current phone that stores
> > addresses (& web? &/or e-mail?) along with multiple phone numbers in the
> > CONTACTS or PHONEBOOK. Should also sync with MS Outlook 2003.
> >
> > Appears that the BlackBerry, Treo and Siemens PDA/phones have organizer
> > info, but they don't work on Singular's MEdiaNet. Instead, they seem to
> > require the more expensive "BlackBerry" data plan. The Audiovox SMT5600
> > smartphone also requires the more expensive data plan.
> >
> > The Motorola MPX220 would have been nice and was compatible with
MEdiaNet,
> > but was apparently recalled. Was that problem ever fixed? Moto still
has
> > it on their website. Would finding a used and/or unlocked one work?
>

> No.
>
> Fred

"No" to which question? Other phone? MPX220? What?
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 9:15:00 AM

toosexy1 wrote:
> i have a sony ericsson z500a and it has muiltiple phone numbers, email
> adresses and web adresses for my contacts. you can also use media net
> on it

The Nokia 6620 also stores full contact information and syncs with
Outlook.

tg.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:36:31 AM

--
toosexy1
August 17, 2005 8:41:08 PM

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:46:46 -0700, "[ a m z ]"
<amz.REMOVETHIS@eskimo.REMOVETHIS.com> wrote:

>Replacing my Siemens S46 and I'm looking for a current phone that stores
>addresses (& web? &/or e-mail?) along with multiple phone numbers in the
>CONTACTS or PHONEBOOK.

<snip>

Sorry, but in previous post, didn't relize you needed multiple phone numbers per
contact. The v551 & RAZR may, or may not, allow that. They will synch, however,
so I'd suggest you look at those first. Should be easy to ascertain the
multiple-numbers issue.
--
John Bartley K7AAY USBC/DO PDX OR USA
"This is a carburetor," Hank tells his son. "Take it apart, put it back together; repeat until you're normal." - KOTH

"[ a m z ]" <amz.REMOVETHIS@eskimo.REMOVETHIS.com> wrote in message
> Replacing my Siemens S46 and I'm looking for a current phone that stores
> addresses (& web? &/or e-mail?) along with multiple phone numbers in the
> CONTACTS or PHONEBOOK. Should also sync with MS Outlook 2003.
>
> Appears that the BlackBerry, Treo and Siemens PDA/phones have organizer
> info, but they don't work on Singular's MEdiaNet. Instead, they seem to
> require the more expensive "BlackBerry" data plan. The Audiovox SMT5600
> smartphone also requires the more expensive data plan.
>
> The Motorola MPX220 would have been nice and was compatible with MEdiaNet,
> but was apparently recalled. Was that problem ever fixed? Moto still has
> it on their website. Would finding a used and/or unlocked one work?

Nokia 6230 and even the 3120 will sync (use Nokia PC Suite - FREE D/L from
Nokia). Phone book supports 5 numbers, email, mailing and text field for
notes. 3120n requires cable, 6230 has IRDA and Bluetooth or uses the same
cable.

Mark
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 11:18:47 PM

In <0JvMe.46$j32.1518@news.uswest.net> on Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:46:46 -0700, "[
a m z ]" <amz.REMOVETHIS@eskimo.REMOVETHIS.com> wrote:

>Replacing my Siemens S46 and I'm looking for a current phone that stores
>addresses (& web? &/or e-mail?) along with multiple phone numbers in the
>CONTACTS or PHONEBOOK. Should also sync with MS Outlook 2003.
>
>Appears that the BlackBerry, Treo and Siemens PDA/phones have organizer
>info, but they don't work on Singular's MEdiaNet. Instead, they seem to
>require the more expensive "BlackBerry" data plan. The Audiovox SMT5600
>smartphone also requires the more expensive data plan.

Simple way to beat the system:

1. Order SIM-only service from Cingular, or order service with a cheap
GPRS-capable phone (for backup or resale).

2. Subscribe to a regular phone plan, and add the MEdia Net Unlimited option.

3. Put the SIM in an unlocked (or Cingular-locked) PDA-phone.

Works for laptops too, even with a GSM/GPRS/EGPRS/EDGE PC Card.

August 18, 2005 12:10:50 AM

"John Bartley K7AAY telcom admin, Portland OR" <johnbartley@email.com>
wrote:
> "[ a m z ]" wrote:
>
> >Replacing my Siemens S46 and I'm looking for a current phone that stores
> >addresses (& web? &/or e-mail?) along with multiple phone numbers in the
> >CONTACTS or PHONEBOOK.
>
> <snip>
>
> Sorry, but in previous post, didn't relize you needed multiple phone
numbers per
> contact. The v551 & RAZR may, or may not, allow that. They will synch,
however,
> so I'd suggest you look at those first. Should be easy to ascertain the
> multiple-numbers issue.

The Motos apparently do store multiple numbers, but I was told that they
show up as "Bob-home, Bob-cell, etc." in the phonebook. Also, they do NOT
store addresses, etc. Thanks for the reply, though.
August 18, 2005 2:04:16 AM

> The Motorola MPX220 would have been nice ...Was that problem ever fixed?

Hi. Moto just recently published a software update for the Mpx 220.
http://direct.motorola.com/ENS/web_producthome.asp?Coun...

I know the phone has many complaints, but the phone has worked ok for me.
The camera is still terrible even after the update.
I just recently got the phone to sync with my laptop via Bluetooth. Pretty
neat.
--
Dana

"[ a m z ]" <amz.REMOVETHIS@eskimo.REMOVETHIS.com> wrote in message
> Replacing my Siemens S46 and I'm looking for a current phone that stores
> addresses (& web? &/or e-mail?) along with multiple phone numbers in the
> CONTACTS or PHONEBOOK. Should also sync with MS Outlook 2003.
>
> Appears that the BlackBerry, Treo and Siemens PDA/phones have organizer
> info, but they don't work on Singular's MEdiaNet. Instead, they seem to
> require the more expensive "BlackBerry" data plan. The Audiovox SMT5600
> smartphone also requires the more expensive data plan.
>
> The Motorola MPX220 would have been nice and was compatible with MEdiaNet,
> but was apparently recalled. Was that problem ever fixed? Moto still has
> it on their website. Would finding a used and/or unlocked one work?

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 4:35:12 AM

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:18:47 GMT, John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>Simple way to beat the system:
>
>1. Order SIM-only service from Cingular, or order service with a cheap
>GPRS-capable phone (for backup or resale).
>
>2. Subscribe to a regular phone plan, and add the MEdia Net Unlimited option.
>
>3. Put the SIM in an unlocked (or Cingular-locked) PDA-phone.

Aren't the Treos fussy about what kinds of SIMs must be used?

>Works for laptops too, even with a GSM/GPRS/EGPRS/EDGE PC Card.

Yah. Do this with a Sierra Wireless AirCard.

--
John Bartley K7AAY USBC/DO PDX OR USA
"This is a carburetor," Hank tells his son. "Take it apart, put it back together; repeat until you're normal." - KOTH
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 8:42:05 AM

[ a m z ] <amz.REMOVETHIS@eskimo.removethis.com> wrote:
> The Motos apparently do store multiple numbers, but I was told that they
> show up as "Bob-home, Bob-cell, etc." in the phonebook. Also, they do NOT
> store addresses, etc. Thanks for the reply, though.

My Nokia had a distinct name and associated numbers, but only two, so I
wound up with bob-home, bob-cell, etc.
My Motorola V551 has a name and a number. Maybe the same name with another
number, and so on. The default is to display all of the, which might lead
to some people making the bob-home, bob-cell, etc. But there is an option
to only display the "primary" number for each name. If you select that
name, you can then scroll to the other entries under the same name.

There are a bunch of phone number types. I'm not sure how many entries
could be stored under one name. I don't have any addresses in my Outlook
contacts, so I haven't tested whether an address gets transferred.

--
---
August 18, 2005 8:54:26 AM

In <4303d778.27232187@coronis.nyed.circ2.dcn> on Thu, 18 Aug 2005 00:35:12
GMT, johnbartley@email.com (John Bartley K7AAY telcom admin, Portland OR)
wrote:

>>In <0JvMe.46$j32.1518@news.uswest.net> on Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:46:46 -0700, "[
>>a m z ]" <amz.REMOVETHIS@eskimo.REMOVETHIS.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Replacing my Siemens S46 and I'm looking for a current phone that stores
>>>addresses (& web? &/or e-mail?) along with multiple phone numbers in the
>>>CONTACTS or PHONEBOOK. Should also sync with MS Outlook 2003.
>>>
>>>Appears that the BlackBerry, Treo and Siemens PDA/phones have organizer
>>>info, but they don't work on Singular's MEdiaNet. Instead, they seem to
>>>require the more expensive "BlackBerry" data plan. The Audiovox SMT5600
>>>smartphone also requires the more expensive data plan.
>
>On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:18:47 GMT, John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>
>>Simple way to beat the system:
>>
>>1. Order SIM-only service from Cingular, or order service with a cheap
>>GPRS-capable phone (for backup or resale).
>>
>>2. Subscribe to a regular phone plan, and add the MEdia Net Unlimited option.
>>
>>3. Put the SIM in an unlocked (or Cingular-locked) PDA-phone.
>
>Aren't the Treos fussy about what kinds of SIMs must be used?

There have been some minor issues, but not in general AFAIK.

August 19, 2005 4:40:54 PM

"John Bartley K7AAY telcom admin, Portland OR" <johnbartley@email.com> wrote
in message news:430367b7.55084953@coronis.nyed.circ2.dcn...
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:46:46 -0700, "[ a m z ]"
> <amz.REMOVETHIS@eskimo.REMOVETHIS.com> wrote:
>>>The Motorola MPX220 would have been nice and was compatible with
>>>MEdiaNet,
>>but was apparently recalled. Was that problem ever fixed? Moto still has
>>it on their website. Would finding a used and/or unlocked one work?
>
> Many, many complaints to this day.
> --

Could you elaborate on this? I currently have an evaluation MPX220 in my
hands for work. So far I haven't seen anything wrong with it and it seems
like a nice phone. I'd like to know what people are complaining about to see
if it's really a problem while I'm still evaluating it.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:16:04 AM

It is alleged that [ a m z ] claimed:

> Replacing my Siemens S46 and I'm looking for a current phone that stores
> addresses (& web? &/or e-mail?) along with multiple phone numbers in the
> CONTACTS or PHONEBOOK. Should also sync with MS Outlook 2003.
>
> Appears that the BlackBerry, Treo and Siemens PDA/phones have organizer
> info, but they don't work on Singular's MEdiaNet. Instead, they seem to
> require the more expensive "BlackBerry" data plan. The Audiovox SMT5600
> smartphone also requires the more expensive data plan.

It's "Cingular", and the Treo does work with MEdiaNet. I use it on a
pay-for-use basis with my Treo.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Arranged marriages, every one, but they worked out. They inspired me.
Knowing that they were waiting at home for me is what keeps me here -
75 lights years away." (Amb. Mollari, B5 "The War Prayer")
!