Sign in with
Your question
Solved

TP-750 + Gigabyte GTX670 Windforce OC, how to wire up?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 26, 2012 7:58:50 AM

Originally posted in PSU section, posting here to see if a Graphics Card guru might know.

In the following link below you will see a table containing: Direct Cabling Connectors, for reference.
It lists two non modular pci-e connectors, both on different rails, they are the connectors of interest.

http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/TP-750_Manual_EN.pdf

Basically, there's two rails I can use at 25 amps each (rail 3 and 4).

Rail 3 non modular = 1 pci-e 6+2 connector.
Rail 4 non modular = 1 pci-e 6+2 connector.

Rail 3 modular = 1 pci-e 6 connector.
Rail 4 modular = 1 pci-e 6 connector.

From what I understand the Gigabyte GTX670 Windforce OC requires both 8 and 6 pin pci-e power connectors. Having said that, I NEED to use one of the non modular 6+2 connectors, the question is should I use the other non modular connector, which is on a different +12v rail.

Question 1.
Is 25amps (300watts) enough to power a single Gigabyte GTX670 Windforce OC at full load.

Question 2.
Is it ok to mix the two separate rails that are non modular? For example, connect both rail 3 and 4 to the graphics card?

Thanks
May 26, 2012 8:26:20 AM

From what I can understand, rail 3 modular and rail 3 non modular lead to the same source inside the PSU so if you need to use both rails to power the card you would have to use rail 3 of one and 4 of the other. As for if you can power this video card from a single rail, having just installed the Gigabyte windforce gtx 670 in my own system I can confirm it requires 1 regular 6 pin AND 1 8 pin connector.

The wattage and amp requirements are a bit tricky to find, it sounds like you have enough wattage however from what I can find looking on the internet you are going to need at least 30 amps so most likely you will need to use both rails (this is why I never ever buy a PSU with more than 1 12v rail, too confusing)
m
l
May 26, 2012 8:44:02 AM

jim45682 said:
From what I can understand, rail 3 modular and rail 3 non modular lead to the same source inside the PSU so if you need to use both rails to power the card you would have to use rail 3 of one and 4 of the other. As for if you can power this video card from a single rail, having just installed the Gigabyte windforce gtx 670 in my own system I can confirm it requires 1 regular 6 pin AND 1 8 pin connector.

The wattage and amp requirements are a bit tricky to find, it sounds like you have enough wattage however from what I can find looking on the internet you are going to need at least 30 amps so most likely you will need to use both rails (this is why I never ever buy a PSU with more than 1 12v rail, too confusing)

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at review too and from the looks of it the 30amps you are referring to is the entire system requirements. From what I can see the entire system requires 299w to 336 - 360w with the video card included at load.

Referring to what you are saying I can use rails 3 and 4 into the video card, is that safe to mix two differently labeled +12v rails?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 26, 2012 5:46:04 PM

Having always stayed away from multi rail PSU's I am not entirely sure based on experience. But based on my electronics tech experience I wouldnt see where it would be a problem, the 2 rails are there for use at the same time, therefore they should provide the same power at the same time and be safe to power a single component.
May 27, 2012 4:01:44 AM

Best answer selected by Simo606.
m
l
!