Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New built pc hangs up on 3d games

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 19, 2012 2:25:23 PM

Hello, i've just built this pc for gaming and when i try to run games such as battlefield 2 and 3, COD the game hangs up and returns to windows. Windows 7 64-bit installed and Catalyst 12.6 and 12.7 beta installed still the problem exists... please anyone, i need your help...

PC Specs :

Intel LGA 2011 3820 3.6 Ghz
Asus Sabertooth x79 mobo
CORSAIR PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600MHz) 16GB (8GB × 2)
Asus HD7850-DC2-2GD5 RADEON HD7850
Crucial m4 256GB SATA 6Gbit / s
BXRTS2011LC water cooling for Intel Thermal Solution SandyBridge-E
Thermaltake SP-850M Series 850W power supply unit
TT Level 10GT case.
Benq EW2430 Monitor

hangs up after 3-5 minutes of gaming. could it be my GPU? i hope someone out there could help me...

More about : built hangs games

July 19, 2012 2:29:58 PM

first of all, why are you running 2 sticks of ram. 2011 is more optimized for 4 sticks

might be the ram but it could be the fact that 3d is more optimized for nvidia cards. is your monitor AMD 3D certified?
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 2:30:43 PM

and one more thing. do you mean stereoscopic 3d (with glasses)or regular games
m
0
l
Related resources
July 19, 2012 3:11:14 PM

The monitor he listed isn't 3d, so probably just means regular Direct3d gaming.

I would try running MemTest86 and/or Prime95. It doesn't seem like it should be a temp issue if it's happening in BF2, but you should double check those as well.

Check your PSU voltage levels as well, make sure it's looking ok.

Try some older drivers versions as well, like 12.4.
It does sound like the card, but it's better to take steps to check everything else than spend months shipping various parts back and forth.
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 11:07:36 PM

TheBigTroll said:
and one more thing. do you mean stereoscopic 3d (with glasses)or regular games

thanks for the reply... i mean the regular direct 3d games only... i'll be buying 2 sticks in the future i'm quite on a tight budget right now.
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 11:10:38 PM

you shouldnt of bought lga 2011 as there is no performance increase with 2011 compared to 1155 unless you are planning to video edit or do some workstation processes
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 11:14:03 PM

djscribbles said:
The monitor he listed isn't 3d, so probably just means regular Direct3d gaming.

I would try running MemTest86 and/or Prime95. It doesn't seem like it should be a temp issue if it's happening in BF2, but you should double check those as well.

Check your PSU voltage levels as well, make sure it's looking ok.

Try some older drivers versions as well, like 12.4.
It does sound like the card, but it's better to take steps to check everything else than spend months shipping various parts back and forth.


thanks for the reply! ok i'll run Memtest/Prime. Do you think it's a temp issue? I'm currently using a 850w PSU, my friend is just using a 750w (same specs of rig) but he can play all of these games with no problem...

i've tried the 12.4 but still the same. if it's the GPU that's causing me the problem, can you suggest a better GPU with the same price range... thanks!!
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 11:16:27 PM

TheBigTroll said:
you shouldnt of bought lga 2011 as there is no performance increase with 2011 compared to 1155 unless you are planning to video edit or do some workstation processes


if it's the GPU that's causing me the problem, can you suggest a better GPU with the same price range... thanks!!

m
0
l
July 19, 2012 11:27:13 PM

the GPU is fine. its probably memory right now
m
0
l
July 20, 2012 4:45:27 AM

TheBigTroll said:
the GPU is fine. its probably memory right now

i'm planning to replace the RAM with
Kingston 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (Kit of 4) XMP KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX what do you think?
m
0
l
July 20, 2012 11:15:03 AM

id just buy another kit of memory of the same kind
m
0
l

Best solution

July 20, 2012 2:16:38 PM

leinad0931 said:
thanks for the reply! ok i'll run Memtest/Prime. Do you think it's a temp issue? I'm currently using a 850w PSU, my friend is just using a 750w (same specs of rig) but he can play all of these games with no problem...

i've tried the 12.4 but still the same. if it's the GPU that's causing me the problem, can you suggest a better GPU with the same price range... thanks!!


So a couple of notes. First, if the problem is the GPU, you don't need to buy a new one, you simply have to RMA the one you have that isn't working properly. However, you have to pay shipping usually, and wait quite a while, so it's best to figure out which component is faulty, and not jump to conclusions if possible. If your friend is willing (and close enough to visit) you could likely test your GPU and RAM in his system (or vice-verse) one at a time to see what component of his makes your computer work correctly.

Second is, that Wattage is only one factor of a PSU design to keep in mind, and while your PSU is a decent one (and more than sufficient power rating for your PC), that doesn't absolve it from suspicion since any piece of hardware can be defective; if your video card came with any temperature/monitoring software, try having a look at that and see if it reports the 12V supply voltage (which is the primary supply for your GPU), that should be between 11.9 and 12.1V, and shouldn't droop or spike up when you play games.


However, I overlooked TheBigTroll's comment about RAM, and I'm curious, is your friend also running with 2 sticks of RAM as well. I would be a little suprised if LGA 2011 didn't support running only 2 sticks, but it's a bit of a niche technology so it wouldn't be suprising to see some quirkiness. Also, as TheBigTroll said, going with LGA 2011 was rather unnecessary for a gaming machine, when you build your next PC I would suggest making your way back here to have the build checked out before buying, could save you a lot of money.
Share
July 20, 2012 11:49:00 PM

djscribbles said:
So a couple of notes. First, if the problem is the GPU, you don't need to buy a new one, you simply have to RMA the one you have that isn't working properly. However, you have to pay shipping usually, and wait quite a while, so it's best to figure out which component is faulty, and not jump to conclusions if possible. If your friend is willing (and close enough to visit) you could likely test your GPU and RAM in his system (or vice-verse) one at a time to see what component of his makes your computer work correctly.

Second is, that Wattage is only one factor of a PSU design to keep in mind, and while your PSU is a decent one (and more than sufficient power rating for your PC), that doesn't absolve it from suspicion since any piece of hardware can be defective; if your video card came with any temperature/monitoring software, try having a look at that and see if it reports the 12V supply voltage (which is the primary supply for your GPU), that should be between 11.9 and 12.1V, and shouldn't droop or spike up when you play games.


However, I overlooked TheBigTroll's comment about RAM, and I'm curious, is your friend also running with 2 sticks of RAM as well. I would be a little suprised if LGA 2011 didn't support running only 2 sticks, but it's a bit of a niche technology so it wouldn't be suprising to see some quirkiness. Also, as TheBigTroll said, going with LGA 2011 was rather unnecessary for a gaming machine, when you build your next PC I would suggest making your way back here to have the build checked out before buying, could save you a lot of money.


thanks! yes one of my friend with asus px79 pro mobo uses only 2 sticks and all works fine. i've also asked another friend of mine if i could borrow his RAM (16gb 4x4) so i could test my pc as TheBigTroll suggested. i'll be testing it today and i hope everything would turn out fine, if not i'd be testing GPU , PSU , and mobo. i'll post again after testing... thank you guys! happy to feel that i am not alone!

m
0
l
July 21, 2012 1:23:55 AM

if it is not the ram, 99% its the video card then
m
0
l
July 22, 2012 10:57:25 PM

Guys! thanks for all the help... ! Yesterday i was really quite busy testing my rig... swap RAMs, GPUs and PSUs. all tests were successfully done except for the GPU, so yesterday i really thought that my GPU was faulty so i have no other choice, i have to do an RMA. But before doing that I decided to overclock it to its peak since it was faulty anyway. Installed the bundled software Asus GPU tweak (as Djscribbles suggested... thanks man!!!), run the program, pushed GPU and memory clock, voltage and fan speed to the maxx... Was scared at first coz the fan noise speed was really terrible... I thought it was gonna pop-out from the case and blow... Run BF3 played the game for 3 - 10 -15 -30 -1hr hooooooooraahhhhhhh... i was really waiting for the game when will it stop... Fortunately haha it didnt stop , no hang ups or whatever... Opened other games and was really shocked, amazed, mixed emotions hahaha!!! All went well... God is good all the time!!! Stop for a while and returned to the Asus GPU tweak program. And as i have observed the default voltage of the GPU was far from Djscribbles statement ( if your video card came with any temperature/monitoring software, try having a look at that and see if it reports the 12V supply voltage (which is the primary supply for your GPU), that should be between 11.9 and 12.1V, and shouldn't droop or spike up when you play games. ) default voltage was 11.3v which was really low and maybe just enough for regular use of the pc. Now i've just set the GPU clock to 870mhz,gpu voltage to 11.9 , memory clock to 4840mhz fan speed to 50%. I hope this solved my problem, i'm still running games to make sure...
Lastly guys what is the ideal temp for the GPU on full load? i got 52-55 degrees temp while gaming, is it ok? if not maybe i'll just push the fan speed a little bit higher... THANK YOU GUYS!!! GOD BLESS!!!
m
0
l
July 22, 2012 11:22:16 PM

Best answer selected by leinad0931.
m
0
l
July 22, 2012 11:35:57 PM

52C is great for gaming!
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 12:26:11 AM

Agreed, anything below 80 is perfectly fine, under 90 is still ok but it's a bit shaky (I would say), and above 90 is getting scary.
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 12:27:04 AM

azeem40 said:
52C is great for gaming!



ok thanks!!!
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 12:32:59 AM

djscribbles said:
Agreed, anything below 80 is perfectly fine, under 90 is still ok but it's a bit shaky (I would say), and above 90 is getting scary.


Thanks man!!! You're the man!!!

Some might say that LGA 2011 and x79 are overkill for gaming. But for me on stock speeds, this set-up blows me away though a little bit achy on the pocket... well i'm happy with it and that's what i get, consider it a prize... Thanks !!! till next!!!
m
0
l
!