Sign in with
Your question

First build Feedback and Advice

Last response: in Systems
July 19, 2012 2:53:04 PM

Hello all,

This is my first post. I would really appreciate some feedback on the following build, which is my first. I would like to build it ASAP.

I have found a deal for the Processor, Motherboard and RAM. I have found another bundle deal for the Case and PSU.

I would like to use the PC to run engineering software, CAD programmes, mathematical analysis. Hence I need as many cores as possible (with a budget of course).

I would also like to play games on it, smoothly with not too much trouble, but I will not be able to spend £100+ on a graphics card.

Here is the proposal build http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/cwTq

I look forward to you input, feedback and advice, thanks.

More about : build feedback advice

July 19, 2012 2:59:59 PM

I would recommend swapping 4x4gb RAM to 2x8gb RAM if the price difference isn't too major, and you can also swap the 650W psu for a 500W one.
Related resources
July 19, 2012 3:02:30 PM

it looks as if it costs more but its just that most of the parts that you included did not have a price
July 19, 2012 3:04:09 PM

I liked this build -- seems enough for what you are looking for.

The only part I´d change was the PSU, first because you won´t need 650W, secondly because the brand. Cooler Master is great for cases and cpu coolers, but not very good doing PSUs.

So I´d have a 500W PSU like Corsair CX500 V2 http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/part/corsair-power-supply-cm...
July 19, 2012 3:13:07 PM

Thanks everyone such your input and getting back to me so quickly!

I just assumed that as the motherboard has a max RAM capacity of 16mb, I may as well fill up the slots and if one RAM goes back I can just replace that one. Would 2x8gb RAM be quicker than 4 x 4gb RAM?

Yes I wasn't sure about the PSU wattage and make (CoolerMaster 650W). Would 500W give me enough for upgrades in the future? I have never had more than 450w in the past. But All my systems in the past have been rather modest and standard cheaper ATX PSU where used. I am certainly convinced to avoid cheap PSU's.

As for the processor. I thought the 8 core would pack some punch over the intel quads? I use some analysis software which allows you to select the number of cores you have to speed up the analysis. I thought 8 cores may help me with that.

July 19, 2012 3:18:14 PM

no. just get 8gb now. you arent even video editing

intel brings destruction to any amd chip. unless you are doing a lot of multi-threading tasks, fx is not right for you
July 19, 2012 3:23:03 PM

Thanks TheBigTroll, I currently have a Intel Dual Core with 8GB RAM and for some of my analysis the analysis fails and the error is that 8gb is not enough memory to run the analysis.
July 19, 2012 10:17:00 PM

its probaby because you are using a 32bit program?
July 20, 2012 2:04:07 AM

The OP uses a 64-bit system.

2x8gb RAM won´t be quicker than 4 x 4gb, but it would be cooler, tough a lot more expensive. In terms of ram get a 1333MHz kit with as low latencies as possible. 16GB Ram will be soon the average amount of ram in most computers.

500W won´t give you enough room for any upgrades in the future -- assuming you are referring to video card. For a SLI 2x config you need a 750W PSU.

July 20, 2012 8:40:15 AM

Yes, just to confirm I am using a 64 bit OS.
!