Not big difference in performance between 3.4ghz to 4.0ghz for i5 3750

koreanzombie

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
benchmark, it definitely improved my scores, but in real time...for games such as TF2...The FPS hasn't changed that much. my gpu is also GTX 560ti so yea i definitely need to upgrade the card.

I've been reading to get substantial FPS boost, the i5's should be clocked near 4.3~5.0ghz. If true, then I definitely have to mess with my voltage, ram timing etc. @ 4.0ghz it was a painless procedure without having to touch anything besides the cpu ratio value....which is why I oced it, but now I think i need to read up more on how to overclock past 4.0ghz

Put into perspective, if you get fps increase in games with overclock the CPU was the bottleneck. If not it is the GPU that is the bottleneck. In your case it is obviously the GPU since your CPU could keep up with higher power cards at std clocks.
This as well depends on resolution, on low res the more CPU bound it goes and you would see CPU overclock increase fps.

ram1009

Distinguished

Here's the situation in a nutshell. You're about to spend a significant amount of money and a LOT of time to get a few more FPS that will not allow you to enjoy your games any more but will allow you to brag about how fast your machine is and how much money you spent. Good luck.

koreanzombie

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

i dont understand this post? are you saying i spent a lot of time and money overclocking my i5 3570k? Or that i will spend more money on GPU?

im thinking about upgrading gpu soon.

ram1009

Distinguished

I don't know how to make it any clearer. The first few words of the second sentence are: "You're about to spend a significant amount of money.....". So far you haven't spent any extra money with your overclocking. Only a few BIOS clicks. If your GPU isn't performing as it should in the games you play then an upgrade is in order. Your original post implies that you're headed for 5GZ which will be expensive and IMHO provide no more enjoyment of your games. It's your money. I just hate to see people waste it just to be cool.

koreanzombie

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

True that, I wasn't looking to overclock to 5.0ghz lol. Theres really no point as I'm GPU limited at the moment. But i just find it weird that my fps won't really change in Tf2, as the 560ti is more than enough for that game, and its really CPU dependent than GPU dependent.

Most games are not dependent on the CPU so increasing the clockspeed will have little to no effect. If you want better performance, then you need to buy a more powerful graphic card.

However, if you play Skyrim you will likely see a small increase in performance, then again, your graphic card would be the primary bottleneck for performance.

ram1009

Distinguished

Quit analysing ther game and enjoy it.