Can't decide on CPU - i3 3225 vs. A10-5800K

Tags:
  • Computers
  • CPUs
  • Components
Last response: in Components
November 30, 2012 7:22:01 AM

Hi there!

I have found myself in the possition of upgrading my not-so-old computer's insides for the sake of dying motherboard that I can't really replace (it's quite old and obscure MSI 790XT-G45 model, whose buses started to freak out anytime I play a game and that seems to be overheating), so I have to upgrade the motherboard, RAM and CPU.
However, as a failure, it was sort of unexpected, so I need to work on a bit of budget. Currently, I am looking at two options to purchase and would welcome some opinions. The two units I am looking for are:

CPU: Intel Core i3-3255 OR AMD A10-5800K
GPU: Integrated OR I can plug in my computer's HD5750 and change it later
RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 HyperX blu Edition (for Intel) OR Crucial 4GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9 Ballistix Tactical (for AMD)

What I expect to be doing on the computer is mainly a lot of video transcoding, some video editing, music editing, programming and of course gaming, but I am not too choosy when it comes to details.
Which option would you go, and why?

Thanks

More about : decide cpu 3225 a10 5800k

a b à CPUs
November 30, 2012 8:05:29 AM

I would go with the i3 and the hd 5750 as the 5750 is as good as the A10's integrated or better.

The i3 is faster when paired with a better GPU in games so makes your system last much longer and you can upgrade to an i7 if you need to and the A10 doesn't really have an upgrade path.
November 30, 2012 9:00:56 AM

What is your current CPU? Depending on its performance relative to current gen processors, it may be salvagable.
If it's a Phenom 2 / Athlon 2 quad core, you can upgrade to a 900 series MB, so you can drop in a AM3+ socket CPU later as an upgrade, if you wish to.
November 30, 2012 9:37:49 AM

Spelli said:
What is your current CPU? Depending on its performance relative to current gen processors, it may be salvagable.
If it's a Phenom 2 / Athlon 2 quad core, you can upgrade to a 900 series MB, so you can drop in a AM3+ socket CPU later as an upgrade, if you wish to.

Currently, I have AMD Phenom II X4 940BE@2.60GHz (underclocked from stock 3.00GHz after the mainboard problem started. Even tough the temperatures were normal on the CPU, the system started to crash with HT_Error or SyncFlood, later confirmed to be the mobo issue.) CPU-Z lists it as Socket AM2+, and I am really not sure if AM2+ and AM3+ sockets are compatible?
November 30, 2012 11:24:23 AM

Ah, this is a pity. The 940BE is still quite a powerful CPU, but AM2+ CPUs don't fit in AM3/AM3+boards.. pin incompatible, and AM2+ CPUs only have a memory controller for DDR2 RAM.

So keeping the CPU is a no-go after all :/ 

What is the main purpose of the machine? I will try to whip up something cheap & good.
a b à CPUs
November 30, 2012 11:33:52 AM

If you're okay with just playing games on Medium for the forseeable future, go for the A10. The integrated graphics are good enough to play games at around 720p - some at 1080p, and you can trade the HD 5750 for an HD 6670 GDDR5 to Crossfire with it later if you want better gaming performance. Also, get the fastest RAM you can afford.
November 30, 2012 1:29:50 PM

From ur information on what this system will be use, a true quad core will favor u more, the amd will be a better choice, u may want to ask n google more on this.

But the i3 will favor more on games, but it just a dual core processor. But the i3 socket will able u to upgrade in future to i5 or i7.

If u dont want to upgrade and spend on the future, get the amd.
November 30, 2012 1:35:36 PM

Spelli said:
Ah, this is a pity. The 940BE is still quite a powerful CPU, but AM2+ CPUs don't fit in AM3/AM3+boards.. pin incompatible, and AM2+ CPUs only have a memory controller for DDR2 RAM.

So keeping the CPU is a no-go after all :/ 

What is the main purpose of the machine? I will try to whip up something cheap & good.

There will be two main purposes:
1) Video transcoding and subtitling - I run an anime translating team, but recently, we got very low on encoders, so I need a machine capable of transcoding low-res (1024*768 tops) videos, capable of burning our subtitles into the videos as fast as possible.
2) Smooth gaming with at least medium details - I do enjoy playing games a lot, but I realy do not care about details. Also, most of the games I will run are RPGs or Action/RPG hybrids, with Mass Effect 3 being the most demanding among them, I think. But of course, I am looking for a computer I could keep with relatively little replacing for the next two-three years...

Aside from that, I will of course do a lot of mundane work, some DTP (Manga translations) and lots of programming, but of the not-so-demanding kind (I am just beginning with it and I am aiming to work with number-crunching apps, no games).

So, yes, that covers about 99% of time. Funny part is that - aside from work - I almost never watch films, edit photos and so on. But I guess that since I need transcoding/gaming machine, everything else is pretty much irelevant.
!