Bad CPU or bad motherboard?

Oompa2021

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
So it all started when my old 8600 GTS died on me. Yesterday I got a brand new 9800 gt. I installed it and the drivers, and everything was doing great. Then I had the grand idea to try the overclock option on my asus p5n-e SLI motherboard. 5% was awesome, so I tried 10%. Blue screen, but I had to leave for work so I just turned it off and unplugged it hoping the bios would reset without removing the battery. (It's a 6 year old battery) After work, I plug the computer back in, and try turning it on, but my screen doesn't get any signal. After trying a couple times, I unplug it again, remove the battery, AND move the jumper to 2&3. With the jumper back at 1&2, the screen still gets no signal. I tried putting my old dying gpu back in, but still no signal. Tried resetting the bios multiple times with no success. Did I kill my cpu or motherboard trying to oc to 10%? 5% had the CPU at 2.5 ghz instead of the stock 2.4 ghz. Sigh...I think I've already accepted that I probably killed something, but I would at least like to have some idea of what went wrong. :/

GeForce 9800 gt
Asus p5n-e sli
Intel duo core something or other 2.4 ghz.
Xp 32 bit

She ran fine for 6 years with the original 8600 gts.

Hard to say what's wrong. I would remove and reseat the 24 pin atx connector; if the fans turn briefly, then you'll know the board is getting power. Usually the board fails, not the cpu. But I usually replace both when I upgrade. You may find some of those model number boards on craigslist or ebay, but I wouldn't spend too much. Might be just as cheap to switch to a ddr3 board without the sli feature.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Are you getting any Bios error beep codes at all, or is it a case of a black screen, no video signal and the fans are spinning ?
If not it could be a case of the Cpu has died.
Locate your bios chip in its cradle, and push your finger down on the top of the chip with a bit of pressure, somtimes they can work loose enough to cause bad contact. do this with the system turned off and the see if it boots up after pressing the bios chip into its cradle.

Oompa2021

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Wow, thanks for the replies people. The PSU is an ultra v series 600w, and the case is an old antec. Don't remember which model though. It's pretty roomy with a clear panel that is removed with 2 quarter turn knobs. Idk if that helps. Stock cpu cooler.

No bios beeps. Just spinning fans, temp readings on the front, and blinking LEDs...

I've tried 4 different sticks of ram by themselves, and different combinations of ram per slot.

I haven't tried pushing on the bios chip, but I can try it real quick. Guess it wouldn't hurt any.

Thanks