Faulty Hard Drive?? help

G

When I boot up my system I get the following message after system detects drives:
SMART Failure Predicted on Primary Master. WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.
I have been getting this message for 2 weeks now, but my system has been running just fine. Does anyone know why I'm getting this message, how to get rid of it, and should i worry?

Please help, thanks
btw, i have a ibm deskstar 60 GB

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tranzept2 on 08/05/01 04:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I hope someone in the harddisk industry could help you on this.

The maker doesn't put it (SMART) there for nothing. It cost extra money. If that smart thing is doing it's job, then it's a sign of something not good is just around the corner.
If this happened to my system. I'll backup and do a low level format and do a clean install. Probably a sign of bad sector. If your lucky, low-level & high-level formating will get rid of it. A really bad drive that render itself unusable is when you hear clanking sound. Then it's really is a goner.

It don't come easy.......not always.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Here is a snip it from this link here ::: <A HREF="http:// http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,7373,00.asp" target="_new"> SMART </A>
As far as I know the SMART technology monitors the bits that are transfered over the bus, and if it finds an abnormal number then it usually has something to do with hardware failure.

"SMART automatically checks the status of hard disk drives and informs users of problems in advance, before "total catastrophic failure of the drive"

The technology allows users to back up data so that they don't lose anything in the event of a crash."

Hope that helps, but I would get the data off the drive pronto!

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>

G

I actually did hear a clanking sound about a week ago, but i rebooted and i never heard it again. I will try the low level format... if i still get tht error I'll try to exchange it.. i bought the hdd only 2 months ago, from newegg.com

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The LLF probably won't do anything because the SMART doesn't have anything to do with the data. I would just save the time and call and get it replaced ...

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
You did hear a clanking sound. If the SMART still reporting error and since it is still new and under warranty, my advise is to get it replaced.

G

Ok my ibm desktar is in the mail.. hopefully i'll get the replacment by friday..
I put my old 12 gig in for now (got with a dell system 2 years ago)
Now this hdd makes really loud noises, and i get a write error, so i rebooted and scanned my disk. It said that there is 1 sector of physical damage to my disk.
However, I am NOT getting any smart errors.
Now i'm wondering if this computer is jacking up my hdd's?
Does anyone know if this is possible, or is it just a coincidense that this hdd is giving me problems to?
here are my system specs..
a7m266, athlon 1.4 (not overclocked), 512MB ram, 300 watt power supply...

any ideas?

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
3 things.

1. Test that harddisk on another motherboard to see if its ok.

2. Go <A HREF="http://www.tweakfiles.com/diagnostic/amidiag.html" target="_new">here</A> download, boot to Dos and install the program. Test your harddisk and the interface.

3. Check the voltages supplied to the harddisk. They should not be far away +/- from 12V and 5V.