Sign in with
Your question

Unable to connect to the internet

Last response: in Networking
July 23, 2011 4:20:02 PM

I am unable to connect to the internet on my desktop pc running Windows 7 64bit home premium.

I have tried unplugging and re-plugging the modem,router, and the switch. Plugging the computer directly into the router with two different cables. Installing the motherboard drivers (I was pretty sure they were up to date, but wanted to try anyhow). And restoring the computer to a date it was working.

There are two other computers on the network along with a Xbox 360, PS3, and various other wifi devices that work just fine.

I have Googled around a bit for this, but the couple things I tried didn't work and I don't really understand everything that was being said so I figured I would try asking myself.

Thanks
July 23, 2011 6:16:42 PM

have you check the Proxy Server settings?

can you PING the gateway?

can you ping 206.13.29.12?

can you ping www.yahoo.com?
m
l
July 23, 2011 6:54:37 PM

Emerald said:
have you check the Proxy Server settings?

can you PING the gateway?

can you ping 206.13.29.12?

can you ping www.yahoo.com?

The proxy server box was unchecked and nothing in the address field and 80 in the port field. Should I have something there?

I don't get a response when I ping the gateway or yahoo and all the packets are lost when I ping 206.13.29.12.

Any more advice/things to try?

Also when I try to troubleshoot the problem I get a message that says "Home' doesn't have a valid IP configuration".
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2011 7:15:57 PM

Quote:
The proxy server box was unchecked and nothing in the address field and 80 in the port field. Should I have something there?

it does not matter as long it is unchecked.

what is your IP?

it should start with 10, 172, or 192 depending on your router.

if the IP starts with 169, you are not communicating with the DHCP server in the router.

try assigning a Static IP

maybe your NIC is bad
m
l
July 23, 2011 8:55:41 PM

Emerald said:
Quote:

it does not matter as long it is unchecked.

what is your IP?

it should start with 10, 172, or 192 depending on your router.

if the IP starts with 169, you are not communicating with the DHCP server in the router.

try assigning a Static IP

maybe your NIC is bad

The IP address did start with 169 so I changed it to what I found on this site (http://portforward.com/networking/static-win7.htm) and I'm still not getting a connection.

What is the NIC?

Derp. My IP address is http://192.168.1.1 not what is says on that website so how do I go about fixing it?
m
l
July 23, 2011 10:34:53 PM

I may have just messed things up worse, but I'll keep trying to un-break things haha.

So you think the ethernet ports on my motherboard could be the problem? If I were to get a PCI network card could that fix things?
m
l
!