Sign in with
Your question

Haswell/Broadwell cpus solderer onto motherboards!?

Last response: in CPUs
November 30, 2012 9:01:21 AM

I was just doing some research on ddr4 ram when i came across a few rumors stating the new line of cpus (haswell, and later on broadwell) will have their cpus soldered onto the motherboard. Few articles claim that it wont affect majority of computer owners since only a small portion build their own computers and do upgrades while the rest just buy a whole new computer. Just wanting to know if these rumors are true cause if they are, its going to be a huge disappointment. I dont really see how its taking a step forward.
a c 79 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 30, 2012 9:08:55 AM

haswell definitely not, broadwell is rumoured to be soldered(there is another thread somewhere) but no definitive word either way, the intel customer dude on here has said he had heard nothing to back up the rumour, but then he might not be allowed to know.
m
l
November 30, 2012 9:45:31 AM

Likewise.

The article I read was speculating that Broadwell may be soldered, but there's nothing definitive since it's so far out.

I agree in that it seems like a step backward, and provides a number of complications, but we'll have to see how it goes.

It may end up just being for mobile devices and laptops, which actually would make a bit of sense.
m
l
Related resources
November 30, 2012 9:54:16 AM

Also read on that somewhere... hopefully either it reduces the price of CPU+MB significantly or its not going to happen ... else it looks like they are going the way of Apple/Microsoft ... only wanting to make more $$ I think MB manufactorers will also need to make many MBs Number of MB models * Number of Indel CPU models ...
m
l
November 30, 2012 10:41:17 AM

Yeah, I read it as well.

In fact, it makes sense in a way. There are already solutions where the CPU gets soldered to mainboard and they don't sell that bad, at least in my country.

I think that it has a lot to do with the fact that enthusiast and high-end segments are losing their touch, while in the business/corporate/education and artistic segments, longevity and low prices are most sought-after. From a logical standpoint of view, CPU soldered to MB does make a sense - it helps prevent some problems the cunstomers may encounter (bad termic paste, dust under CPU, bad cooling, dirty socket, umatching socket and I can go on), but it kills what the enthusiast likes - the option to choose.

Truth is, every company is founded to make profit. You go ahead and form a company that goes preferably for being in loss, then we can talk. And what do you think will bring Intel more $$? An enthusiast buying one $500 CPU every two years, or one corporation, buying 10 000 computers at once, even if for $1 each? Same for repairs - the technicians will no longer need to poke through several components to see which one to replace, they'll just take the CPU-MB combo, throw it through the window and buy new.

Regardless, I really think that it's not gonna be the only solution out there. If you take average company's needs, it is mostly enough for them to own technology that is 5-10 years old and they will run it for another 5-10 years, changing their solutions once per 15 years (two corporate generations), if ever. Meanwhile, while those corporations don't run for PCs, there needs to be enthusiast segment, where people will throw their money on the companies, that will work to push the limits of their silicones even harder, achieving better performance, so that in those 15 years, they will have somethin to offer to the corporations... That's why I think soldering CPU to MB will NEVER be the ONLY solution.
m
l
December 1, 2012 7:23:08 AM

Yea i guess that does make sense, i dont really like the idea though, from a gaming point of view, you just may as well buy a console since those are already soldered on cpus, if you know what i mean. The whole point of building a computer is that its your own. hopefully they must be having some sort of alternatives than just soldered cpus, maybe the mainstream and low end cpus like i3 and i5 will be soldered while the i7 range (not that its going to be called i3 i5 or i7 by the time broadwell is released) will not be soldered to the motherboard, or maybe high end motherboards have sockets. As you guys said before, to save costs for businesses, schools etc, they dont usually buy high end rigs.

Atleast the haswell cpu range wont be soldered, partially happy about that, from the way its going it seems like cpus are likely to be soldered on to the mobo.
m
l
December 5, 2012 10:34:22 PM

Many people swap out their motherboard along with their CPU, so this might be something that people could get used to.

Some are also speculating that this is Intel's first step towards a "SoC revolution". Now THAT would be a massive step backwards. Why do they want to lock everything down and turn the desktop into a laptop/tablet without a screen? I hope this is just speculation, but if it does turn out to be true, they should at least let us swap out the RAM and GPU instead of soldering those onto the MB as well.
m
l
December 5, 2012 11:25:36 PM

dc200 said:
Many people swap out their motherboard along with their CPU, so this might be something that people could get used to.

Some are also speculating that this is Intel's first step towards a "SoC revolution". Now THAT would be a massive step backwards. Why do they want to lock everything down and turn the desktop into a laptop/tablet without a screen? I hope this is just speculation, but if it does turn out to be true, they should at least let us swap out the RAM and GPU instead of soldering those onto the MB as well.

If that is the case then im jumping out the window, that would be pretty stupid, in a gaming point of view, PC has always surpassed console due to the availability to upgrade, if we cant do that anymore then all that is out the window. I dont like these new ideas at all =[
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a c 151 V Motherboard
December 5, 2012 11:33:09 PM

I assume it is an elaborate plot by AMD. First infiltrate Intel, then redirect design department into stone age, AMD keeps configurable platform and the market... good thinking
m
l
December 5, 2012 11:39:17 PM

Yep, I love Intel chips, but I'm running off to AMD the minute Intel confirms this Broadwell BGA story.

azed3000 said:
If that is the case then im jumping out the window, that would be pretty stupid, in a gaming point of view, PC has always surpassed console due to the availability to upgrade, if we cant do that anymore then all that is out the window. I dont like these new ideas at all =[

It's just speculation, and yeah, I really hope that they're wrong.

Either way, here's something to cheer you up: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Socketed-LGA-packaging...
m
l
!