Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can I support this Graphics Card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 26, 2012 12:35:53 PM

Hello,
I'm not sure if my PC can support this graphics card without bottlenecking it, or it getting too hot.
My specs are:
Processor: Pentium (r) Dual-Core E6700 3.2Ghz
Current Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4650
Case: Inspiron 560

The Graphics card I want to know if I can run is a GTX 550ti
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Let me know if you need anymore info to help me. Thanks in advance.

More about : support graphics card

a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 1:56:49 PM

No, it wont bottleneck. The 550 Ti is a good upgrade from your 4650.

Please take note it requires one 6PIN PCIe connector. Does you PSU have the 6PIN PCIe connector?
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 2:08:19 PM

It would fit in your case fine. Your 300w PSU would be close with a 100w TDP 550ti. And your PSU probably does not have a spare 6-pin PCIe cable.

Anyway, the Pentium Dual Core will most likely be a bottleneck for many games and you can't overclock. 550ti isn't a high end card but it would be bottlenecked, but it would be better than your HD 4650. You could buy a new PSU and GPU, but you'd be dissapointed in your CPU.

This card isn't quite as good as the 550ti but it uses half the power and doesn't require a 6-pin. You'll still run into issues with your CPU in most games though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'd recommend getting a new computer (or building one!! :D ) If you don't want to get a new one or can't afford it, the HD 7750 is your best option for improvement.

Edit: CPU bottleneck depends on what games you play, BTW.
Related resources
May 27, 2012 9:28:11 AM

I feel kind of dumb asking, but I'm pretty nooby at tech stuff. Do you think you could turn that into layman's terms?
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 9:41:36 AM

UhmBrock said:
I feel kind of dumb asking, but I'm pretty nooby at tech stuff. Do you think you could turn that into layman's terms?

Vettedude suggested that you pick another card instead of the 550 Ti for the reason that your power supply may not have the necessary connector & capacity to support the 550 Ti.

His recommendation is an AMD HD 7750 which is a little bit less powerful than the 550 Ti you selecte but have the advantage of smaller power requirement & not requiring the power cable that your power supply may not currently have. It means that it is easier to install & less risk of your power supply failing due to overloading.

I hope it helps.
Score
May 27, 2012 9:45:58 AM

randomkid said:
Vettedude suggested that you pick another card instead of the 550 Ti for the reason that your power supply may not have the necessary connector & capacity to support the 550 Ti.

His recommendation is an AMD HD 7750 which is a little bit less powerful than the 550 Ti you selecte but have the advantage of smaller power requirement & not requiring the power cable that your power supply may not currently have. It means that it is easier to install & less risk of your power supply failing due to overloading.

I hope it helps.

Yeah, that helped a lot. So if my PSU had a 6 pin connector, it would still be risky to run that card, due to the chance of my power supply overloading?
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 9:57:37 AM

For the 550 Ti, it is a bit risky. nVidia itself recommends minimum of 400W but that is purposely overstated for the purpose of safety. When I use this power supply calculator:
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
& input your PC configuration ( some components are assumed ), the result is minimum of 252W but recommended is 302W. It means you may get away with it but the older your power supply is, the greater is the risk it may be overloaded.

Using the same calculator for the 7750, the recommended is only 236W which gives your power supply a better margin of safety.
Score
May 27, 2012 10:03:37 AM

Thanks a ton. :) 
This site is the best, I can ask seemingly dumb questions and the community is always just as helpful.
Thanks again.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 2:18:13 PM

We were all noobs at one time, and we are all still learning! :) 
Score
May 27, 2012 4:37:01 PM

Best answer selected by UhmBrock.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 6:24:45 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!