Whats the best eyefinity setup with a hd7850 OC

rimike4

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
This is my first build and I'm unfamiliar with eyefinity and AMD/ATI as a whole. Last min i decided on AMD because it was the only decently priced GPU w/ pci express 3.0!

I just got a saffhire hd7850 OC and i plan on putting rig together this weekend if i can get my MOBO bios flashed by my buddy?

I am looking into getting a Triple monitor setup for gaming. I currently have a Samsung Syncmaster 2232GW Monitor

I was wondering what size monitors work good with triple setup, and also what size resolution would i be most likely trying to achieve? I don't feel like dishin' out another 270 for crossfire just yet? But is that the only way i gonna run eyefinity maxed out?

After buying the hd7850 of course I have read around a little and I'm getting the feeling that I shouldn't expect much out of my video card as far as eyefinity goes? I read this in some forum:

*****Sorry, I'm thinking 7950... With a 7850 and eyefinity it's going to struggle. At 1920x1080 in SP mode all options maxed in BF3, it gets an average of 40fps. Online, frames are going to be lower, add in the extra resolution and you'll really have to cut the graphics settings.*****

I read this and it made me think ...........should just think about saving for 1 really nice 3d monitor instead of 2 side monitors?

Will i be disappointed if i get 2 more monitors and then try eyefinity with my hd7850 OC?

Thanks for your time and any thoughts or advice!!!

i5 3570k
AsRock z68 Extreme 3 gen 3
Corsair Vengeance 1600 4gbx2
128gb Crucial m4 SSD
Saffhire Hd7850 O.C.
NZXT modular PSU 750w
CoolerMaster 430 Elite Case W/ Hyper 212 Heatsink
LG CD-rom, CD RW, CD-R,DVD-R-DL
1 Samsung SyncMaster 2232GW

randomkid

Distinguished

It depends on your expectations. I am able to finish Avatar, AVP, DeadSpace2 & some other games with 1x6950. With these games I could play in high settings but only around 30-40fps. I got the 2nd 6950 4 months later & play crysis2, ACB & latest is Skyrim. In these games I get at least 45 & even beyond 60fps. I think a single 7850 being more powerful than the 1x6950 could still cut it.

I have played 3D as well in my TV ( Avatar ) but between 3D & Eyefinity, I prefer Eyefinity.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
The low amount of VRAM on some of these cards hold you back for Eyefinity. I have 6870 1GB cards in xFire, and I'm sure the chips are strong enough, but not enough RAM to do the job well. Getting 120Hz out of 1 monitor will take less power than getting playable in Eyefinity, though.