consultant1027

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Router 1: I have a WRT120N wireless router connected to the Internet. It has IP 192.168.1.1 and DHCP is enabled with address range 192.168.1.100 up.

Router 2: I have a WRT310N router connected to the LAN via LAN port to ethernet jack in the wall (not WAN/Internet port). It has ip 192.168.1.2 and DHCP is DISABLED.

All the devices on my network can see each other. Devices connecter to router 1 can see devices connected to router 2.

The problem is, devices connected to router 2 cannot get to the Internet. I verified clients connecting to router 2 are assigned the same DNS addresses and the same gateway 192.168.1.1 as the clients connected to router 1. But for some reason router 2 doesn't know how to router Internet traffic out through router 1?

I tried plugging the LAN cable into the Internet/WAN port on Router 2 but then devices on Router 2 can no longer see devices on Router 1.

I've seen discussions of setting up router 2 on its own subnet: 192.168.2.1 instead of 192.168.1.2 but then supposedly devices on router 2 will still not be able to see devices on router 1.

I'm guessing router 2 can't access the Internet because it is default configured to send Internet traffic to the Internet port, no t the LAN port.

Any suggestions on how to configure it so all devices on both routers see each other and router 2 devices can get to the Internet is greatly appreciated.

your original setup sounds right using 192.168.1.2 and the LAN port on router2 to connect to router1.

have tried to connect a computer to the network cable coming from the wall to see if you can browse the internet?

have you tried connecting a computer to the LAN port on router2 via network cable and see if you can connect to the internet?

consultant1027

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
We're on to something...

I can't access the Internet if I plug a notebook directly into the wall ethernet jack that Router 2 is plugged into. HOWEVER, I can see all other devices on the network that are connected to Router 1. For some reason Router 1 won't router Internet traffic for devices connected through Router 2 but it will route LAN traffic for those devices.