  • Outlook Express
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
April 5, 2005 4:19:04 AM

Hi,

How can I share Outlook Express with other PCs in my house, so that we can
check and review my sent and received e-mails from any of our PCs?

Thanx!

TTFN

More about : sharing outlook express

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:38:53 PM

"Frazer Snowdon" <Frazer Snowdon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How can I share Outlook Express with other PCs in my house, so that we can
>check and review my sent and received e-mails from any of our PCs?

You would have to take over the mail store to all PCs. The place where
OE stores the data can be found in Tools > Maintenance >Store Folder.
The data has to be kept up-to-date manually, that means, you have to
copy the newest version of the files to all PCs when you have used OE
on one machine.
Also export the mail accounts from one PC and then copy the IAF files
to all other PCs to import the accounts there. This has to be done
once and then only when you add/remove or chance an account.

--
(tm)
Anonymous

Thanks for your reply.

ALl the PCs are networked. Could I not just share the mail store folder
among all the PCs? For example, set all of the separate PC e-mail accounts to
use the same store folder?

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "Frazer Snowdon" <Frazer Snowdon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >How can I share Outlook Express with other PCs in my house, so that we can
> >check and review my sent and received e-mails from any of our PCs?
>
> You would have to take over the mail store to all PCs. The place where
> OE stores the data can be found in Tools > Maintenance >Store Folder.
> The data has to be kept up-to-date manually, that means, you have to
> copy the newest version of the files to all PCs when you have used OE
> on one machine.
> Also export the mail accounts from one PC and then copy the IAF files
> to all other PCs to import the accounts there. This has to be done
> once and then only when you add/remove or chance an account.
>
> --
> (tm)

April 5, 2005 3:52:14 PM

> ALl the PCs are networked. Could I not just share the mail store folder
> among all the PCs? For example, set all of the separate PC e-mail accounts
> use the same store folder?

possible, but think about that there could (! I'm not sure) be problems when
running OE on two machines at the same time. I don't know if OE uses the
files permanently so that another program can't gain access.

Chris
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:28:43 PM

"Frazer Snowdon" <Frazer Snowdon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>ALl the PCs are networked. Could I not just share the mail store folder
>among all the PCs? For example, set all of the separate PC e-mail accounts to
>use the same store folder?

No. OE will not allow you to move the Store Folder to a network drive.

--
(tm)
Anonymous

> No. OE will not allow you to move the Store Folder to a network drive.

wrong! it does! just tried!

Chris
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:30:02 PM

Actually, no.

It will let you change the store folder to a shared place on that particular
PC, but not to a shared folder on another PC. When you try to change it to a
folder on another PC, the "ok" box greys out.

Thanks anyway!

Any other ideas, anyone?!

FS

"Christian Kirsch" wrote:

> > No. OE will not allow you to move the Store Folder to a network drive.
>

> wrong! it does! just tried!
>

> Chris

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:30:03 PM

"Frazer Snowdon" <FrazerSnowdon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Actually, no.
>
> It will let you change the store folder to a shared place on that
> particular
> PC, but not to a shared folder on another PC. When you try to change it to
> folder on another PC, the "ok" box greys out.
>
> Thanks anyway!
>
> Any other ideas, anyone?!
>
> FS
>
> "Christian Kirsch" wrote:
>
>> > No. OE will not allow you to move the Store Folder to a network drive.
>>

>> wrong! it does! just tried!
>>

>> Chris
I know how to share OutlLook Folder on Samba share, but then the folder can
only be accessed by one instance at a time! Makes for easy backups!
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:23:57 PM

> Actually, no.
>
> It will let you change the store folder to a shared place on that
> particular
> PC, but not to a shared folder on another PC. When you try to change it to
> folder on another PC, the "ok" box greys out.

Well, then we've got different versions, i just tried it again! The ok box
is *not* grayed out and after i clicked on ok, OE told me to restart the
program. Everything's fine!

Chris
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 2:51:43 PM

"Frazer Snowdon" <FrazerSnowdon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Actually, no.
>
>It will let you change the store folder to a shared place on that particular
>PC, but not to a shared folder on another PC. When you try to change it to a
>folder on another PC, the "ok" box greys out.
>
>Thanks anyway!
>
>Any other ideas, anyone?!

A workaround: set up your accounts so that mail is not deleted from
the server when you recieve it. You will then have the data available
from all computers. This however depends on that your mail provider
does not auto-delete mail after a certain time and that he provides
enough data space.

--
(tm)
!