Slide shows on TV

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 17, 2005 8:43:15 PM

Forgive my ignorance. In considering only the visual quality of the
images from a slide show as seen on a standard TV, is there any
difference between JPEGs, VCD and DVD?

Thanks,

Gordon

More about : slide shows

August 17, 2005 8:43:16 PM

Gordon Macpherson wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance. In considering only the visual quality of the
> images from a slide show as seen on a standard TV, is there any
> difference between JPEGs, VCD and DVD?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gordon

To begin with, JPEG denotes a common file format for images. VCD and DVD are formats of
disks that can be used to display photos, etc. on TVs. I can't begin to answer every
question you may still have, so please be more specific.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:43:16 PM

Remember that TV is a relatively low resolution device...even the best
large screen units (42-50") are only 1300x768 resolution devices!

Now I'm curious...I guess I should try the same photo at each
resolution with my Canon G2, to see if there is any observable image
quality difference with direct input from my G2's video connector to my
32" TV, and also burn the same photos to DVD to see if my Sony DVD
recorder plays images thru the S-video connector with any higher
quality!
August 17, 2005 8:43:46 PM

"Gordon Macpherson" <gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Forgive my ignorance. In considering only the visual quality of the
> images from a slide show as seen on a standard TV, is there any
> difference between JPEGs, VCD and DVD?

That's a very good question: which is the best?

A friend says he gets great results hooking his Digital Rebel directly to
the TV set's Video connector. I made a VCD picture disc once but I was not
impressed.
August 17, 2005 9:03:28 PM

"Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in message

> "Gordon Macpherson" <gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message
>> Forgive my ignorance. In considering only the visual quality of the
>> images from a slide show as seen on a standard TV, is there any
>> difference between JPEGs, VCD and DVD?
>
> That's a very good question: which is the best?
>
> A friend says he gets great results hooking his Digital Rebel directly to
> the TV set's Video connector. I made a VCD picture disc once but I was not
> impressed.

You should try one of the many DVD slideshow apps out there. I use
MemoriesOnTV and it's a great way to share photos with others.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 3:53:59 AM

Gordon Macpherson <gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance. In considering only the visual quality of the
> images from a slide show as seen on a standard TV, is there any
> difference between JPEGs, VCD and DVD?

Typical video signals are not very high resolution anyway. A typical DVD
is encoded at roughly 720x480, as is miniDV camera footage. VCDs are MPEG
videos encoded at roughly 352x240, or 1/4 the resolution. You'll probably
notice this as blurry or fuzzy pictures. It might not look "bad" but you'd
definitely notice the difference compared to a DVD of the same image,
particularly if it's moving video and not just a still picture. (Still
pictures which move or zoom, aka the "Ken Burns effect", will also betray
the lack of resolution.)

So, your two front-runners are JPEG and DVD. The easy answer would be, if
your JPEGs are stored at a higher resolution than 720x480, they will probably
look better. That's hard to tell for sure though, since there are so many
different ways that JPEGs can be shown on a TV -- through a VGA-to-video
scan converter, through a TV-out on your video card, even burned onto a CD
or DVD for playback in a JPEG-enabled DVD player.

Software that turns JPEGs into slide shows on a DVD are actually converting
your JPEG images into 720x480 DVD video streams anyway. They do, however,
have the advantage of being able to generate crossfades, wipes or other
effects, which obviously you can't do with just images.

Hope that helps, somewhat. :-)
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 10:55:26 AM

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:43:46 GMT, "Dave R knows who"
<kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote:

>"Gordon Macpherson" <gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message
>> Forgive my ignorance. In considering only the visual quality of the
>> images from a slide show as seen on a standard TV, is there any
>> difference between JPEGs, VCD and DVD?
>
>That's a very good question: which is the best?
>
>A friend says he gets great results hooking his Digital Rebel directly to
>the TV set's Video connector. I made a VCD picture disc once but I was not
>impressed.

Not surprising; VCD is lower quality than VHS.
DVD will give the better between VCD and DVD. Just like DVD will give
better quality between DVD and VHS.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"