killer512

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
hey guys
first of all how are you ? :D
so am going to tell you the whole story ( sorry if its long xD)
so i bought a card Zotac GTX 460 SE (used coz i got it with a low price ) i tested it on some benchmark progs and it worked like charm even thought the fan was alittle noisy anyway so i put it in the PC started it everything worked great but when i started playing a hardcore game (like Crysis 2 ) after 2 hrs the PC stoped and i was like what happened so i tried testing the PC and i found that the card was overheating and then stop the whole PC so i dont know what is the problem ... is the card broken or does it need something to start working good (maybe trying to use some thermal paste ) ?!?! so if u guys can help me what should i do in order to fix it (or so) before i do something that would damage it more (thats if its not completely damaged :( )
and also i have another question :
when i started MSI afterBurner to check the temp i found that the card name was strange i dont know something like G60 (idont know for sure ) not GTX 460 SE (or GTX 460 at all ) and the fan limited to 70 % (coz i tried to put it the max it might do better but no ... ) so is this a problem or its ok ?

thanks alot guys and sorry if its long but can you please help me with this problem

70 percent is the max i found with my 550ti card and that afterburner software. if you have a micro case or one with one fan try taking the side panel off to see if the card runs cooler. the card bios and hardware should be clocking the card down when the card hits it max temp to stop a runaway condition. if the card is an overclocked card see if you can turn it down to stock speeds and see if it still over heats.

killer512

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

thank alot for this fast reply
it is a case with one fan but i always keep the side panel out but it runs the same and i tried it on another PC with about 4 fans and the same thing
about overclocking no am not applying any overclocking at all

G

How comfortable are you with taking the graphics heatsink off? I've had it happen once where I had a video card that a friend had tried to overclock (and fail at doing so) and he had run it so hot the thermal paste actually dried up. I would suggest that maybe something similar happened here where the thermal paste has dried out over time. Take off the heatsink (google how if you can't figure it out) clean the old gunk off and use some good non-conductive thermal paste (read: NOT ARCTIC SILVER 5! Maybe Arctic Silver Ceramique if you can find it and the right amount, too much can be worse than not enough!) and re-apply carefully and see what happens. Or you could RMA it (most places don't ask for original receipts or care if you bought it used.)

Good luck!

killer512

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
How comfortable are you with taking the graphics heatsink off? I've had it happen once where I had a video card that a friend had tried to overclock (and fail at doing so) and he had run it so hot the thermal paste actually dried up. I would suggest that maybe something similar happened here where the thermal paste has dried out over time. Take off the heatsink (google how if you can't figure it out) clean the old gunk off and use some good non-conductive thermal paste (read: NOT ARCTIC SILVER 5! Maybe Arctic Silver Ceramique if you can find it and the right amount, too much can be worse than not enough!) and re-apply carefully and see what happens. Or you could RMA it (most places don't ask for original receipts or care if you bought it used.)

Good luck!

thanks alot man i am going to try doing this and see what happened and ill reply to this