Gilatar

Honorable
May 23, 2012
So I wanted to try out having two monitors. I have been using a DVI to VGA cable and now I just got a HDMI to VGA cable which I have been using with the mini-HDMI port on my PC.

Now, I wanted to use a smaller monitor as my 2nd one, and I'm able to use the DVI to VGA cable between my PC and 2nd monitor. However, when I connect the DVI to VGA cable to my computer while it's running, both screens instantly go black.

Is it my graphics card, or can't I use the mini-HDMI port with a DVI-port, or is it the fact that my 2nd monitor is very small and very old?

If you can't understand what I'm saying, I'll post a screenshot of the cables and such soon.

No they don't. Don't try to connect while computer is running. Turn computer off, connect the cables and then turn it on. Also, what connections does your GTX 580 have? And what connections do your monitors have?

Gilatar

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Right, I'll try that.

My GTX 580 has two VGA connections and one mini-HDMI (which I'm using now).

My primary monitor has one VGA connection and one DVI connection. My secondary has one VGA connection.

Why can't you use two VGA cables then? :)

Or perhaps you meant so say GTX 580 has two DVI connections? If so, try different DVI connection, because one most certainly shares output with HDMI, and will not show video with it at the same time.

Gilatar

Honorable
May 23, 2012
I tried the other DVI connection as well. Didn't work.

I think my secondary monitor is broken, I can't see any other explanation.

Gilatar

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Yes, they do.

I got it working now though. I connected a 12 year old monitor I found in the attic to the PC and it works flawlessly. Thanks for all the help, the secondary monitor is faulty, now I know :p