Sign in with
Your question

1300-1800 euro student workstation for modelling/rendering and gaming

Last response: in Systems
July 19, 2012 10:22:26 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: I'd like to have ordered it within the next 2 weeks

Budget Range: 1000-1300 euros. I don't know if I am getting rebates, so that's just a bonus. The budget is low because the parts here are so expensive. Straight converstion from norwegian kroners -> Euros gives me a 1300-1800 budget, but a ASUS Sabertooth X79, Socket-2011 costs 300 euros alone here.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Most important would be rendering. High quality pictures and animations. I like to game as well, but that comes second.

Parts Not Required: OS, mouse, speakers, keyboard, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Doesn't matter. The sites I use to order from are in norwegian, and this is an international site.

Parts Preferences: I don't know what's what anymore. I have always had Intel, and from reading here and there trying to gain som understanding people seem to advice Intel. I am open for anything, though. I got 3 monitors. Being able to use all 3 would be nice, but not a must and not something that would be worth sacrificing performance for.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: SLI I suppose.

Monitor Resolution:1920x1200

Additional Comments: I'd like a quiet computer. However, I realize with my low budget it might be hard to do.
Also, I am not 100% locked to my budget. I can go above some.
I was trying to set up a computer myself earlier, but with just these components I was already at 1200 euros:

-64gb ram (8x8 Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 32GB)
-ASUS Sabertooth X79, Socket-2011
-IntelĀ® Core i7-3820 Processor Socket-LGA2011, Quad Core, 3.6Ghz, 10MB, Boxed, no fan included

I am thinking maybe it's better to go with a 4x ram slots motherboard and 32gb of ram instead, to make it cheaper. I honestly don't know if 64gb is worth the money now. I am just a student and not a freelancer. I was also toying with the idea of getting 4x8gb ram for now since that's way cheaper and get the 8x8gb later, but someone said that wasn't a good idea and it was better to get less chips with higher memory (2x16 > 4x8). All I know is that 6gb, which my laptop has, is too little and the people in my class with 32gb are rendering everything 10 times faster than me, so I'd like 32gb ram atleast.

Thanks!
July 20, 2012 12:48:01 AM

On that kind of budget, lets try a lga 1155 socket build...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/czoz

This would be perfect. Feel free to change a few things to suit your needs. Add a few bells and whistles.

The CPU has 4 cores/8 threads running stock at 3.5GHz. this can easily be overclocked to 4.0-4.5GHz. I wouldn't go any higher than that though on air.

The HD 7870 is a strong GPU. Should be able to run most games on ultra no problem.

Hope this helps! :) 
July 20, 2012 2:05:05 AM

Ram usually doesn't matter with rendering, all it does is to load the scene into the rendering engine. Only the cpu and gpu matter, but that depends on the render engine which one it uses. I will post back with a build from pcpartpicker.
July 20, 2012 2:13:02 AM

italiasian said:
Ram usually doesn't matter with rendering, all it does is to load the scene into the rendering engine. Only the cpu and gpu matter, but that depends on the render engine which one it uses. I will post back with a build from pcpartpicker.

If what he^ says is true, go with 8-16gb of RAM and put the extra cash towards this GPU...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It'd be a better buy than the 7870.
July 20, 2012 2:31:13 AM

Here is a rig under 1300 euros http://pcpartpicker.com/p/czQ5 . I went with an 1155 instead of 2011, because the i7 3770k does better than the i7 3820 in 3d modeling and rendering. Also i went with gtx 670 instead of amd since more programs now are using cuda cores to accelerate in rendering, along with tessellation in newer nvidia gpu's to help in rendering 3d scenes and fluid dynamics.
!