Budget build parts & suggestions?

Hello everyone! I am currently working on my first pc build. Please note I am a novice in pc building and might need simpler explanations. Anyway, I am budget limited, and wan't to get the best performance for my buck... The PC will be primarily used for gaming, and web surfing. I would like to play titles like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Arma 2, etc. So here is what I have so far:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cvnS
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cvnS/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cvnS/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($117.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V Power Supply ($57.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.65 @ Amazon)
Total: $591.59
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-19 00:46 EDT-0400)

Please leave comments and suggestions regarding the parts. I can't really add any more to the price, and if I can save by buying different hardware that would perform same/better with my setup, that would be great. I actually have done quite a bit of research on these parts, so now I just need your approval and I'm ready to go :)

Thanks,

Viktor
18 answers Last reply
More about budget build parts suggestions
  1. wheres the case?

    decided not to include it anyways
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cz6E
  2. TheBigTroll said:
    wheres the case?

    decided not to include it anyways
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cz6E


    I already bought the case --> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6798985&CatId=1842
  3. i already know that diablotek makes garbage power supplies. im not going to even bother with their cases but since you bought it, not much can be done. i would have bought the antec one
  4. Troll is right, you can save money by going to the H77 chipset instead of the Z77 (unless you plan on getting an i5 at some point in the future...).

    And he's right about the diablotek too. But hopefully it'll work for you.
  5. Hmm. Well for one make sure that mobo has core unlocker so your i3 can turn into a quad core because it's going to be tough running those games with quad cores. I would go with an i5 preferably. And your GPU is junk. Go with nVidia like a GTX 560 or 560Ti. 6870 isn't a powerful card really.
  6. pls go for i5-3450 or better i5-3570k.. and mobo pls choose Z77 platform.. the rest look good. 6870 is a good car but not as good as 560Ti.. if u can get 560ti with good price. then u shuld go for it.
  7. hunterpostit88 said:
    Hmm. Well for one make sure that mobo has core unlocker so your i3 can turn into a quad core because it's going to be tough running those games with quad cores. I would go with an i5 preferably. And your GPU is junk. Go with nVidia like a GTX 560 or 560Ti. 6870 isn't a powerful card really.


    Um...Core i3s don't even have the silicon for 3rd and 4th cores, so there's no such thing as a "core unlocker" that will work with it.

    What they do have is hyperthreading..and gaming chops. My HTPC is powered by a Core i3 SB on a z68 and can game pretty well.

    And the 6870 is roughly equal to the non-ti version of the GTX 560. It's a decent card that will game well at 1920x1080 with the i3 on a budget.
  8. daamz said:
    pls go for i5-3450 or better i5-3570k.. and mobo pls choose Z77 platform.. the rest look good. 6870 is a good car but not as good as 560Ti.. if u can get 560ti with good price. then u shuld go for it.


    560ti would be a step up, true.

    If you're not getting a k processor, there's little reason to get the Z77 in a budget build...H77 will be just fine.
  9. inanition02 said:
    560ti would be a step up, true.

    If you're not getting a k processor, there's little reason to get the Z77 in a budget build...H77 will be just fine.



    Yea i'm planning to upgrade later probably to i5-2500k. 560ti is not an option for me right now though. I also found this mobo, what are your opinions on it?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Motherboards%20-%20Intel-_-ASRock-_-13157271&AID=10440897&PID=3938566&SID=
  10. its smarter to start off with a i5 2500k or 3570k
  11. TheBigTroll said:
    its smarter to start off with a i5 2500k or 3570k


    If he can't afford it, it's smarter to start off with a PC than no PC. :)

    Also smarter to not be in debt to afford a slightly faster CPU than you can actually afford.
  12. viktorcheb said:
    Yea i'm planning to upgrade later probably to i5-2500k. 560ti is not an option for me right now though. I also found this mobo, what are your opinions on it?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Motherboards%20-%20Intel-_-ASRock-_-13157271&AID=10440897&PID=3938566&SID=


    That's a nice board, I've built with the extreme4 before and liked it. The 3 doesn't have front panel USB3 headers, but I don't think your case could use them anyhow.

    It is the z68 designed for SB though, but it should work with IB with a bios upgrade.
  13. inanition02 said:
    That's a nice board, I've built with the extreme4 before and liked it. The 3 doesn't have front panel USB3 headers, but I don't think your case could use them anyhow.

    It is the z68 designed for SB though, but it should work with IB with a bios upgrade.


    What about the mobo that I have in the first post. It has z77 chipset and supports IB, and for some reason its also cheaper than z68 extreme3. Why is that?
  14. viktorcheb said:
    What about the mobo that I have in the first post. It has z77 chipset and supports IB, and for some reason its also cheaper than z68 extreme3. Why is that?


    Pro line vs Extreme line I would guess. Also the i3 you picked is SB anyhow.
  15. because z68 is dying and the stores are running out of stock as manufacturers dont make them anymore


    he can wait dude. theres no point of getting a i3 and then getting a i5 when you can save the extra 80 or so dollars instead of spending 120 now and 200 later on
  16. its not like his computer is failing him in everything
  17. I don't know.... i5 sure looks very tempting, but the price gap is $80, and I just cant spend that much right now... It sucks that I have to buy brand new OS, because I can get a Windows 7 Pro Upgrade for like $60 bucks with student discount, but then there is now way to install that update without having full windows to upgrade from... Or is there? Do you guys know a way around that?
  18. upgrade packs usually can be used as if it is a regular disc from what i know
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product