Sign in with
Your question

What's the problem?

Last response: in Systems
July 20, 2012 12:00:03 AM

So I just finished building my computer a few days ago. I booted up my PC just to have no display on the monitor. I was curious about the part that isn't working. Is it the mobo, CPU, GPU? It can't be the RAM because I've reseated tried different slots and other kinds of RAM. I'm replacing the ASRock 770iCafe with an ASUS M5A97. All fans turned on and everything. Or was the BIOS on the old mobo not update to support the FX 4100 I have. If you need all specs just tell me.

More about : problem

July 20, 2012 12:50:26 AM

i'm no expert at this, but here's a couple thoughts...

did the GPU fan start up? if it did, that would seem to indicate that the motherboard is getting power, because i believe the GPU fan gets power from the PCI slot. If it doesn't, try unplugging and plugging the 24 pin connector back in, and if that doesn't work, try reseating the GPU. If that doesn't work, just unplug and replug everything back in. I know this is an easy one, but if nothing else works make sure the CPU is in correctly. I don't know about the BIOS needing updated, i wouldn't think so considering that you have a 970 series chipset, but i could be wrong. It could just be a bad mobo that won't post, but i wouldn't give up too easily. Is the power supply definitely good? what brand is it?
m
l
July 20, 2012 12:58:56 AM

I have a Cool Max CU-700B(great reviews) GPU fan started. I plugged in everything an replugged in everything. I don't believe the 970 chipset is on the Asrock 770iCafe. I think it has a 770 chipset. I got it for 60 bucks so I'm assuming it's kind of dated. Hopefully the ASUS works with the 970. The guy at Office Depot said it could be a shorted mobo. All fans started and everything. I plugged in the HD audio and the mobo didn't beep or anything. The Dr.Debug said 00 too. So no post. I would've preferred an OCz PSU or Coolermaster. Used Cool Max because it was a cheap 700 watt.
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2012 1:23:29 AM

hunterpostit88 said:
I have a Cool Max CU-700B(great reviews) GPU fan started. I plugged in everything an replugged in everything. I don't believe the 970 chipset is on the Asrock 770iCafe. I think it has a 770 chipset. I got it for 60 bucks so I'm assuming it's kind of dated. Hopefully the ASUS works with the 970. The guy at Office Depot said it could be a shorted mobo. All fans started and everything. I plugged in the HD audio and the mobo didn't beep or anything. The Dr.Debug said 00 too. So no post. I would've preferred an OCz PSU or Coolermaster. Used Cool Max because it was a cheap 700 watt.

ohh i thought you meant you were currently using the ASUS M5A97, i didn't realize you were trying the ASRock first. Yeah it might be the motherboard then.
m
l
July 20, 2012 1:37:42 AM

Can you list the full specs as you tried it?
m
l
July 20, 2012 3:31:47 AM

Specs:
FX 4100
ASRock 770iCafe replaced by ASUS M5A97 so M5A97
EVGA GTX 560SE
8GB of Crucial Ballistix 1333MHz
250GB WD Cavier HDD
Coolermaster Elite 311
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Cool Max CU-700B