Do I need a graphic/video card???

aarons10

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Hello all,
I am a first time builder and have heard different things from different people about a graphics/video card. I want your opinions. I am using this computer for general use such as surfing the web, tasks i need to do for school, streaming videos, and watching dvd movies on it. I am not a gamer, but will play the occasional online game. This is the motherboard I am getting. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271
My question is do I need to purchase a graphics card for what I am going to be using it for? Are there benefits to having one even if I don't game? If I do need a graphics card, what is a good option to go with, brand price etc. Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you!

According to the description details on Newegg, that board doesn't have onboard graphics, So you will either need a graphics card, or an Intel processor that has graphics integrated in the CPU. There are some Intel CPU's that do not have integrated graphics (I5-2380P, 2450P). As Intel integrated graphics are not considered "gaming quality", I would recommend getting a CPU with at least HD4000 graphics. What CPU were you planning on getting?

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
No you will not. H61 and Z68 chipsets are designed for LGA 1155 processors and can use their integrated graphics chip to run a display. No discrete card is required. P67 on the other hard is unable to use integrated graphics and DOES required a discrete card

Nearly ANY discrete graphics card will outperform the integrated graphics in a gaming scenario. If all you are going to do is surf the internet or watch pre-recorded videos, then you can get away with using integrated graphics, particularly the HD4000 graphics. The only caveat to check is to make sure that your motherboard will support the 3570K without a BIOS update, otherwise, you would be better off getting the 2500K. According to the ASRock website:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3
It requires BIOS level P2.10 to support the 3570K.