Can't get signal from GTX 670

bennetinc

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Hey guys, I've run into a problem with my first system build. I am building my first system and my monitor is not recieving any signal from my hdmi output on my GTX 670 FTW. I have a MSI z77 mobo and my graphics card is hooked up to my pcie3 slot. Any ideas,

Thanks

Solution

Simple fix, but very frustrating. As to why the RAM would keep the computer from displaying video, the long answer gets kind of absurd to get into but the short answer is because the the CPU and GPU have to be able to talk directly with the RAM and share data with it.

bennetinc

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Yah my processor works I think, but I don't know yet because I can't tell. My set up is... I5-3570k, evga 670 ftw, 8 gb corsair vengeance ram, msi z77a - g43a (<--- I think thats the right number I know it's an msi z77), antec 620W 80 plus bronze, thats about it, for the things that I'm testing on right now.

G

are you getting signal from the onboard graphics output?
did you plug your monitor in that first and go to the bios to set you PEG (Pci-E Graphics) as you graphics output?

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

The motherboard would auto-detect the PEG if it's installed and powered. He shouldn't need to enable it as the primary adapter for the computer to display video, all that would do is speed POST times if he doesn't use the integrated graphics.

Anyway, OP, make sure your graphics card's power cable is plugged in etc, etc, otherwise you have a bad component somewhere (possible culprits could be GPU, RAM, CPU, Motherboard). Try and get the error code of your motherboard and then check your mobo's manual to verify the code, if you're not getting any error codes (Beeps, Letter/Number code - something like FF or 01) than it's your motherboard that is defective.

G

do NOT assume that!

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

That MSI board (and every other Z77 as far as I know) auto-detect PEG if installed and where required, powered. It'd only be different if he or someone else, somehow managed to change that BIOS value to integrated only before he put his PEG card in.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

That's the best thing to do, really. Just test each part individually until you find out which part is bad. But like it has already been said; if you have reset your CMOS jumper so the BIOS is at the factory default and then tried the motherboard's integrated graphics and then still didn't have picture, it's probably the motherboard, CPU, or RAM that's bad. Unfortunate that you can't use beep-code. You'd probably be able to pinpoint what part is bad if you did.

G

this is not a debate, you do not assume that auto detect is the default setting in the BIOS until it is checked.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

I'm not assuming anything, this is from personal experience. Unless he managed to change the BIOS value before installing his GPU; auto-detect or Initialize Integrated first, then PEG second is how the BIOS will be configured.

G

and my own personal experience from what i have owned and the several hundred people i have helped here is never assume auto detect is the default setting.
there are a lot of bios out there where onboard is the default and won't initialize the PEG until it is selected.

go search the forums if you doubt that.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/352574-33-mobo-7970-video-output

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

I never said it wasn't possible, I see that type of configuration a lot on Dells/HP prebuilts. I suppose I should have mentioned that I was referring to midrange and high end (ie. Z68/Z77) retail motherboards where they are almost always configured to initialize ING/PEG.

G

the link refers to a "mid range Z77" motherboard, fyi.

never assume/believe/infer (or whatever you want to call it) the bios is default to auto detect.

end of story.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

By midrange to high end I meant the chipsets -Z68/77; boards that use those chipsets like I said, if retail, 99% of the time are setup to initialize ING/PEG as default.

Obviously I know not to assume anything but I was trying to save time as it still doesn't sound like it's a PEG initialization failure. Apparently arguing preferences in troubleshooting did not save time, so oh well...

bennetinc

Honorable
May 14, 2012
So I've heard it's possible for my RAM, processor, GPU, and mobo, all to be the problem. The fan on my cpu is the stock intel heatsink and it keeps starting and restarting. Could that be part of the issue. Also if someone could explain how my RAM could be the problem, it would be appreciated.

tassietim

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
try removing the G-card and try starting up the system using the on board only
that should get past any bios setting on what is your primary graphics is coming from i would think
if it starts then u can set the bios to select the 670 as primary video source and try again after your shut down and replace the 670 in the 1st slot

G

remove the graphics, if you haven't done so, the RAM and unplugged the drives. try just one stick of RAM in each slot, trying to boot in-between. if no success try the other stick.

bennetinc

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I am going to go to Frys tonight or tomorrow, to pick up a new mobo and well see if its the problem. I don't know if it is but its a start... I guess it could be my RAM but I think it's less likely.