Solved

Can't get signal from GTX 670

Hey guys, I've run into a problem with my first system build. I am building my first system and my monitor is not recieving any signal from my hdmi output on my GTX 670 FTW. I have a MSI z77 mobo and my graphics card is hooked up to my pcie3 slot. Any ideas,

Thanks
33 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about signal
  1. Is the GPU fan running? Have you tried using DVI? Have you tried using the mobo (I assume it too has an HDMI or DVI output)?
  2. Yes to everything... The fan runs, I've tried dvi - vga adapter, I've tried the mobo which also doesn't work...
  3. Does ANYTHING work? Do you get any beeps from the mobo? Does your PSU work? Make sure all your connections are tight.

    What is your setup?
  4. Yah my processor works I think, but I don't know yet because I can't tell. My set up is... I5-3570k, evga 670 ftw, 8 gb corsair vengeance ram, msi z77a - g43a (<--- I think thats the right number I know it's an msi z77), antec 620W 80 plus bronze, thats about it, for the things that I'm testing on right now.
  5. are you getting signal from the onboard graphics output?
    did you plug your monitor in that first and go to the bios to set you PEG (Pci-E Graphics) as you graphics output?
  6. Is your computer plugged in?
  7. Anonymous said:
    are you getting signal from the onboard graphics output?
    did you plug your monitor in that first and go to the bios to set you PEG (Pci-E Graphics) as you graphics output?

    The motherboard would auto-detect the PEG if it's installed and powered. He shouldn't need to enable it as the primary adapter for the computer to display video, all that would do is speed POST times if he doesn't use the integrated graphics.

    Anyway, OP, make sure your graphics card's power cable is plugged in etc, etc, otherwise you have a bad component somewhere (possible culprits could be GPU, RAM, CPU, Motherboard). Try and get the error code of your motherboard and then check your mobo's manual to verify the code, if you're not getting any error codes (Beeps, Letter/Number code - something like FF or 01) than it's your motherboard that is defective.
  8. s3anister said:
    The motherboard would auto-detect the PEG if it's installed and powered. He shouldn't need to enable it as the primary adapter for the computer to display video, all that would do is speed POST times if he doesn't use the integrated graphics.


    do NOT assume that!
  9. I can't here beeps because I don't have a microphone. I think I'm going to give my card to a friend to test or I'll see if Frys can test it there.
  10. did you try the onboard video out?
    if you don't get a signal from that, the card is not the problem.
  11. Anonymous said:
    do NOT assume that!

    That MSI board (and every other Z77 as far as I know) auto-detect PEG if installed and where required, powered. It'd only be different if he or someone else, somehow managed to change that BIOS value to integrated only before he put his PEG card in.
  12. bennetinc said:
    I can't here beeps because I don't have a microphone. I think I'm going to give my card to a friend to test or I'll see if Frys can test it there.

    That's the best thing to do, really. Just test each part individually until you find out which part is bad. But like it has already been said; if you have reset your CMOS jumper so the BIOS is at the factory default and then tried the motherboard's integrated graphics and then still didn't have picture, it's probably the motherboard, CPU, or RAM that's bad. Unfortunate that you can't use beep-code. You'd probably be able to pinpoint what part is bad if you did.
  13. s3anister said:
    That MSI board (and every other Z77 as far as I know) auto-detect PEG if installed and where required, powered. It'd only be different if he or someone else, somehow managed to change that BIOS value to integrated only before he put his PEG card in.

    this is not a debate, you do not assume that auto detect is the default setting in the BIOS until it is checked.
  14. Anonymous said:
    this is not a debate, you do not assume that auto detect is the default setting in the BIOS until it is checked.

    I'm not assuming anything, this is from personal experience. Unless he managed to change the BIOS value before installing his GPU; auto-detect or Initialize Integrated first, then PEG second is how the BIOS will be configured.
  15. s3anister said:
    I'm not assuming anything, this is from personal experience. Unless he managed to change the BIOS value before installing his GPU; auto-detect or Initialize Integrated first, then PEG second is how the BIOS will be configured.

    and my own personal experience from what i have owned and the several hundred people i have helped here is never assume auto detect is the default setting.
    there are a lot of bios out there where onboard is the default and won't initialize the PEG until it is selected.

    go search the forums if you doubt that.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/352574-33-mobo-7970-video-output
  16. Anonymous said:
    and my own personal experience from what i have owned and the several hundred people i have helped here is never assume auto detect is the default setting.
    there are a lot of bios out there where onboard is the default and won't initialize the PEG until it is selected.

    go search the forums if you doubt that.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/352574-33-mobo-7970-video-output

    I never said it wasn't possible, I see that type of configuration a lot on Dells/HP prebuilts. I suppose I should have mentioned that I was referring to midrange and high end (ie. Z68/Z77) retail motherboards where they are almost always configured to initialize ING/PEG.
  17. s3anister said:
    I never said it wasn't possible, I see that type of configuration a lot on Dells/HP prebuilts. I suppose I should have mentioned that I was referring to midrange and high end (ie. Z68/Z77) retail motherboards where they are almost always configured to initialize ING/PEG.

    the link refers to a "mid range Z77" motherboard, fyi.

    never assume/believe/infer (or whatever you want to call it) the bios is default to auto detect.

    end of story.
  18. Have you checked the monitor's OCD (on screen display) and made sure it is set to the correct input ?

    Quote:
    I can't here beeps because I don't have a microphone.


    A microphone won't help you detect beeps, unless you're the one making them :).

    Most MoBos have LED lights these days that indicate problem status.
  19. Anonymous said:
    the link refers to a "mid range Z77" motherboard, fyi.

    never assume/believe/infer (or whatever you want to call it) the bios is default to auto detect.

    end of story.

    By midrange to high end I meant the chipsets -Z68/77; boards that use those chipsets like I said, if retail, 99% of the time are setup to initialize ING/PEG as default.

    Obviously I know not to assume anything but I was trying to save time as it still doesn't sound like it's a PEG initialization failure. Apparently arguing preferences in troubleshooting did not save time, so oh well...
  20. So I've heard it's possible for my RAM, processor, GPU, and mobo, all to be the problem. The fan on my cpu is the stock intel heatsink and it keeps starting and restarting. Could that be part of the issue. Also if someone could explain how my RAM could be the problem, it would be appreciated.
  21. try removing the G-card and try starting up the system using the on board only
    that should get past any bios setting on what is your primary graphics is coming from i would think
    if it starts then u can set the bios to select the 670 as primary video source and try again after your shut down and replace the 670 in the 1st slot
  22. I'm not getting any signal from my motherboard...
  23. remove the graphics, if you haven't done so, the RAM and unplugged the drives. try just one stick of RAM in each slot, trying to boot in-between. if no success try the other stick.
  24. I am going to go to Frys tonight or tomorrow, to pick up a new mobo and well see if its the problem. I don't know if it is but its a start... I guess it could be my RAM but I think it's less likely.
  25. I got a new mobo tonight and it appears my monitor is detecting that there is a signal however there is no image... is this an issue with my processor or RAM?
  26. where do you have the monitor connected to?
    the motherboard (where it should be to troubleshoot)
    or the graphics card.
  27. I've tried both, I'm going to go buy a new processor and RAM which I can later return at Frys and see if that's the problem... If they aren't the problem, then I shouldn't be building this and I'm already about to send it all back... I don't honestly know why the processor or ram could do this.
  28. i really suspect you are missing something. please give this a read and follow the steps to be sure you have all the bases covered before you run around buying/returning things:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

    take a break if you get too flustered.
  29. Figured it out... it was the RAM
  30. Best answer
    bennetinc said:
    Figured it out... it was the RAM

    Simple fix, but very frustrating. As to why the RAM would keep the computer from displaying video, the long answer gets kind of absurd to get into but the short answer is because the the CPU and GPU have to be able to talk directly with the RAM and share data with it.
  31. bennetinc said:
    Figured it out... it was the RAM

    good for you. simple really; no good RAM, no boot; no boot, no video.

    nice job. too bad you can't give yourself best answer.
  32. Yes since I am now having trouble with my hard drive (you can see the thread under the hard drives section) I will be going to Frys for the 4th time in three days... I'll tell whats up with my drive so maybe you can help me... I seem to be missing one of the wires that fits into my western digital caviar blue, it's not the sata cable but another wire which it's name seems to be unknown... I can't figure out the name so any help would be great. Also I hope this post is coherent, as it's getting late and I've spent all day building a computer and driving all over town.
  33. Best answer selected by bennetinc.
Ask a new question

Read More

Systems