• Computer
  • Monitors
  • Cable
  • VGA
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 26, 2012 10:42:37 PM

I have a new 24 inch 1080p monitor.
Something happened and now it doesn't work.
I found a way to make it come on, but the entire screen shakes and has waves going everywhere. It's horrible...

I had a dvi cable plugging it up to my computer.
Now the only way it works is with a vga cable, but for some reason using a vga cable makes the screen all shaky and wavey.
Trying to use a dvi cable like I had it before makes the monitor not even be recognized by the computer.

But I can plug up a different monitor using a vga cable and it works fine, so it's not just because it is vga.
I can also take the messed up screen and plug it into my other computer using a vga cable and it also works fine, so it's not the screen...

I think I know what caused it though.
I was doing some work on my computer and had some cables unplugged.
I finished and then plugged the computer back up and tried to turn it on.
It wouldn't turn on because I forgot to plug up one of the cables into the motherboard.
Without thinking about it I just plugged it back in (while the computer was plugged in) and I hear a static noise coming out of my speakers...
After that the screen wouldn't work.

I also found that if I make the monitor resolution 1280x720 it fixes everything. Go back to 1080p and its all messed up again.
Any way to fix this?

More about : screwed monitor

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2012 10:50:40 PM

Yup, return it where you got it from and get a new one.
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2012 10:56:53 PM

I agree. Swap it because it is malfunctioning.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2012 10:57:31 PM

That's hardly fair advice. Warranties do not cover user damage. Its extremely unlikely you damaged the monitor. you probably damaged the motherboard/CPU, or possibly the gpu if you have one
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2012 11:01:12 PM

When you hot connect or disconnect (plug in or unplug) there is a good chance of momentary short circuits. Could be you also damaged the MB. Depending on what cable you are talking about could damage other items as well. If you have your old monitor try it, if it works then it is a good bet you damaged the new one. If it does not work properly then the MB and or the monitor could have been damaged. The other item you want to verify is the video card.
m
l
May 26, 2012 11:30:29 PM

I plug the monitor into my 2nd computer and it works fine.
BUT I plug a different monitor into my main computer, and that monitor works fine also...
I'm confused here.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 27, 2012 12:49:18 AM

And what happens if you swap them again? ( make sure you turn off everything this time ).
m
l
May 27, 2012 1:55:04 AM

I'm getting the same "waves" all over the screen.

It's not the screen because it works on my other computer.
But... it's like its not the computer either because other screens work fine.

Edit: I edited my first post to make more sense. and also looked up what the cables are called and found out that changing my resolution to 1280x720 makes the problem go away.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 27, 2012 2:26:37 AM

frobot said:
I'm getting the same "waves" all over the screen.

It's not the screen because it works on my other computer.
But... it's like its not the computer either because other screens work fine.

Edit: I edited my first post to make more sense. and also looked up what the cables are called and found out that changing my resolution to 1280x720 makes the problem go away.

But it is a pity to run the 1080p monitor under 1280x720. Try to restore to 1920x1080.
If it still have the wavy line, try to find something like "Auto Adjustment" or any setting that mean the same in the monitor setting & see what it does.
m
l
May 27, 2012 3:06:51 AM

It always does it in 1080p.
This screen has an auto adjust thing so when I plug it up it starts adjusting, you can even see it happening.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 27, 2012 4:22:19 AM

What video card are you using?
m
l
May 27, 2012 5:08:06 AM

GTX 560.
I think I fried something on the card...
After some reading I see that other people have the "waves" problem when using vga, so I think my only problem really is that I can no longer use dvi at all.

I'm taking my monitor to a friends house tomorrow to see if it works with his computer using dvi.
m
l
!