Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What Metals are Safe to Have in a Case?

Last response: in Components
Share
November 30, 2012 8:09:13 PM

Noob question, but I can't think of wording succinct enough for Google, but what metals are safe to have in my PC case? I'm planning some modifications and don't want to short anything out or anything.

More about : metals safe case

November 30, 2012 8:11:48 PM

I'd say any except magnetic.
None of your components are really going to be touching the case.
If you could elaborate on the modifications that might help us give better advice.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 30, 2012 8:16:12 PM

polonium, mercury, lead, cadmium, vanadium, uranium, cobalt60 just to name a few........... get a hair net.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 30, 2012 8:30:03 PM

unoriginal1 said:
I'd say any except magnetic.
None of your components are really going to be touching the case.
If you could elaborate on the modifications that might help us give better advice.


Just making sort of a backplate next to the motherboard and underneath the DVD drive so I can fashion 'on their side' mounts for my SSD's.
Would aluminum work?
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 8:39:32 PM

Just to be safe, go with Wood. :p 
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 8:46:36 PM

Joct said:
Just making sort of a backplate next to the motherboard and underneath the DVD drive so I can fashion 'on their side' mounts for my SSD's.
Would aluminum work?


Just make sure nothing is touching the mobo or any exposed boards. Basically just so you don't short circuit something and you should be good :D .
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 9:41:48 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Just make sure nothing is touching the mobo or any exposed boards. Basically just so you don't short circuit something and you should be good :D .


Thanks :) 
One last thing, what ~12"x12" cheap metal sheets easily available at say Home Depot, Rona, Lowes etc. would you recommend?
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 9:49:43 PM

Joct said:
Thanks :) 
One last thing, what ~12"x12" cheap metal sheets easily available at say Home Depot, Rona, Lowes etc. would you recommend?


Steel or aluminum.. That's what I would go with. No clue whatsoever on the price thou.. I'm sure a quick search online can give you a idea.. But can't be to expensive for what your going to do.

Do us a favor and post some pics when your done! Always like to see DIY projects before and after :) .
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 9:56:24 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Steel or aluminum.. That's what I would go with. No clue whatsoever on the price thou.. I'm sure a quick search online can give you a idea.. But can't be to expensive for what your going to do.

Do us a favor and post some pics when your done! Always like to see DIY projects before and after :) .


Thank you very much for all the help. I've been searching said stores' online warehouses and such and I haven't found any aluminum sheets o:
I'll check steel afterwards.

The plan involves a tad more than just the SSD mounts, I'll be documenting it via pictures and video for YouTube and put the link in this thread when it's done. I was just going over all the materials I'll need before starting and came to this little predicament, lol.

m
0
l
!