Sign in with
Your question

~$1000 Mid Range PC Build Compatibility Check/Advice/Recommendations

Last response: in Systems
July 20, 2012 12:40:37 AM

Hello everyone,

Although this is my first post here, I've been here before for reference purposes and always found what I was looking for. So I decided to make my own account. Like I said, I am fairly new here so this post might be long because I want to get everything clear all at once. Sorry for the inconvenience. Anyways, I am a first time builder and I am kind of nervous because I don't want to mess anything up, but I have done "extensive" research about building computers, and I think I am ready to build my own with my apprehension of the basics. Though, I still have a lot to learn.

I'm building a mid range gaming PC and I've already chosen my parts, I would like to know if they are all compatible (not just if they fit together like LEGO blocks). I would also like to know if everything I need are included with my parts. And that I have enough or do I need to buy more? For example, "Does my PSU have enough 4/3 pin connectors for, let's say, 5 fans?", "Do I need to buy some molex connectors?" and/or "Does my case come with standoffs?" Since I am a first time builder, any tips, recommendations, advice, warnings and common mistakes related to PC building will be very helpful! Keep in mind that I don't require running games with all the settings at ULTRA with high quality audio and 100% no lag. I will be very satisfied by just being to play games between mid and high settings. Again, sorry for the long intro but without further ado, here is my build:

P.S. I am open to different part suggestions and/or a completely different PC build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/cysf

The reason I didn't choose a PSU is because I am debating between the Seasonic SS-560KM and the CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX.

Approximate Purchase Date: There is a new Canada Computers opening soon near me and I want to buy locally, but the problem is I don't know when exactly they are opening. I went on their website and all they said was "Summer 2012" so I'm guessing in a few weeks maybe. http://www.canadacomputers.com/location.php#32

Budget Range: ~$1000 (I can spend a little more than $1200 but I want to use the 200$ for a monitor, case fans and/or peripherals.)

System Usage: Surfing the net, watching movies/videos, gaming, music, typing documents, etc. Basically your everyday computing but with a slight twist. I tend to do some media editing from time to time but it's nothing big that involves Photoshop and that sort of stuff.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, a 19" or a 20". (My current monitor uses VGA which my GPU, that I chose, doesn't support. I could get an adapter but it has a lot of scratches and I think it's time to change.)

Parts to Upgrade: Nothing to upgrade, building from scratch.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca and ncix.com

Parts Preferences: Intel for CPU, nVidia for GPU, Asus for motherboard and "sharp" looking computer cases. (I'm very open to other brands when suggested). P.S. I prefer having blue/black colored parts.

Overclocking: No,I don't want to get into too much stuff and accidentally mess up. (I don't need to get an aftermarket heatsink/fan right?)

SLI or Crossfire: No, same as above.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900 or 1600x900 depending on the size of the monitor I'm getting.

Additional Comments: I know I have a lot of overclockable parts even though I am not overclocking. The reason for this is because I find that overclockable parts have better performance and I am willing to spend a little more for this performance even though it's not noticeable.
I don't think I will be upgrading the hardware for a long time after having it built (except if there's something wrong), planning to stick with these parts for at least 5 years.

At the end of the day, I just want the best build that suits my needs and that I can afford with my budget. I'd like to also remind you that any tips, advice, recommendations, warnings, guides, etc. are welcomed with open arms.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your time and help. :D 

July 20, 2012 1:09:32 AM

Everything looks good to me, looks like a lot of good reliable parts. One thing i might change would be your GPU choice. While the 560ti is a good GPU now, if you're going to keep this build for 5 years, i would get something with a little more oomph. Here's an HD 7870 GHz edition for $280 after rebate, which is maybe $75 bucks cheaper than it would have been last week before the 7000 series price cuts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 20, 2012 2:11:13 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/czLj

heres what i would get right now. id scout around ncix.com as they have a weekly sale. right now, get the i5 3570k for 219.99, LG dvd drive for 16.99 (its m-disc compatable and cheaper)

the psu i chose is pretty good quality and is semi-modular making cabling easier. one more thing to take note is that i chose the antec 302 for functionality and the great price. it has well over a inch of space in the back for cables
July 20, 2012 2:19:48 AM

Augray37 said:
Everything looks good to me, looks like a lot of good reliable parts. One thing i might change would be your GPU choice. While the 560ti is a good GPU now, if you're going to keep this build for 5 years, i would get something with a little more oomph. Here's an HD 7870 GHz edition for $280 after rebate, which is maybe $75 bucks cheaper than it would have been last week before the 7000 series price cuts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for your advice it was really helpful. I was considering switching to the 7000 series before but because of the current pricing I just decided to go with the GTX 560 ti. I'll reconsider if the price drops anytime soon.
!