Iamazn

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
-What type of screwdriver do I need?
-If my entire house is carpeted, where should I work?
-I am going to be buying an anti static wrist strap. I've heard that touching the outer case of a plugged in PSU will ground you. Could I attach the wrist strap to the PSU? If not, where should I? Where do I attach the wrist strap after I need to install the PSU?
-How do I tell that I am actually grounded?
-I want to get a "Giottos Rocket Air Blower" to clean out dust and whatnot for future use. Which size should I get: small, medium or large?

Iamazn

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

No troll, I just don't wanna end up buying a wrong screw driver or having static electricity destroying my parts... Is there something wrong with me for being too careful when attempting to build my first computer...?

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
the basic screwdriver will do dude. you will not be grounded unless the PSU is faulty.. grounded computer units are like sooooo 1990s.. uhhh that air blower wont do a thing.. you need the electric one

sol kiwi

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
All right then, completely understandable then. I havn't built a computer before, but just going on what I've read from forums, and seen in vids this is what I would say.

For the screwdriver I would probably say a philips head. Most screws for the cases seem to be thumb screws, but if they are a bit tight, I've seen a philips be used to loosen them. As for the rest of the screws, I would guess are the same type. I'll show examples of what the head of the screw would look like for the different types though.

I would probably attatch the wrist strap to a metal part of the case, a side panel maybe, or the base. Though I don't think anything would happen if you were to attatch it to the PSU, I still would advise against it just from my knowledge of car batteries and that.

I don't know any ways to tell if you are for sure 100% grounded, but just go with the ways that other people say work, and you'll be fine.

If your entire house is carpet, then building the computer on a table would be your best bet, or maybe laying a large piece of cardboard on the floor and then working ontop of that should also work. Wherever you decide to work, I suggest having small bowls, or containers to put all of the small screws and other parts in to minimize the chance of loosing any in the carpet.

For blowing out the dust I would have no idea, probably the largest if the hole size is the same for all 3 sizes of blower. You might be able to find aerosal cans of "dust off" I think it's called, depending on where you live that is. If you live in North America I'm sure you can find it all over the place.

screw head indentation types:

Philips + (the screwdriver tapers down, but not to a point)

Flat head -

Robinson [] (closest I can get to a square)

Reed or(Rob) and prince + (the screwdriver tapers down to a point)

You can also just google any further info. It's amazing what a person can find on that.

Iamazn

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

Basic screwdriver is kinda general... I'm looking for more specific description or even a model so I don't have to buy one, return it and buy another. As for grounding... Literally all the videos I've watched on building a computer talk about it...

-Screwdriver: Would something like this be good?
-What I meant by the carpet thing was that would it be "safe" for ME to be working on the carpet, as moving on carpets build static electricity...
-I was going to buy compressed air, but I'd hate to keep rebuying it over and over when I run out... I recently found out about the rocket air blowers and how they can be used for cleaning dust in computers. The way I see it, the rocket air blowers are much cheaper.

As for Dingo, g-unit and bigcyco: I'm guessing you guys were born with knowledge on how to build a computer?

dingo07

Distinguished
OK, OK, just a lil kidding is all... all in jest, of course!

Here's what type of screwdriver you should have, both a #2 and #0 will serve you well. http://www.wihatools.com/300seri/311serie.htm

When working on carpet, always put down a towel or cardboard just in case you drop a screw - you wouldn't want to lose it in the carpet.

As far as grounding yourself, all you need to do is touch the metal frame of the case, before you touch anything else. You don't need the wrist strap thingy. For example, let's say you're going to install the video card into the motherboard and you just came from the kitchen. When you walk up to the computer, with one hand, grab the frame of the computer and with the other hand pick up the video card and place in the slot. With it in the slot being held by the one hand, take the other hand (that was grabbing the computer frame) and help put the card fully in the slot and then screw it in place with the philips screwdriver.

You don't need to buy compressed air unless your environment is extremely dusty. You will know after a month when the computer is completed and running.

tjc1937

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

Have someone else build it for you.......