Front panel jacks not automatically sensed

zoooks

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I recently built a new rig, and am having difficulty with the front panel audio jacks. The headphone and microphone jacks always indicate that a device is inserted, even if there is no device. The rear panel works fine, properly detecting when a device is inserted/removed. What's more, devices inserted into and removed from the front panel jacks are detected while in the UEFI setup. This seems to indicate it's a software issue.

This isn't terrible, but I'd rather not have to disable/enable or change the default device every time I switch between my speakers plugged into the rear jack and headphones plugged into the front jack, which I do quite frequently. I'm also just curious as to what the issue is.

The motherboard is an ASRock z77 Extreme4 and the case is an Antec P280, and the HD Audio connector is firmly and properly seated. I've tried the latest Realtek driver found from the motherboard manufacturer as well as the latest version from the Realtek website, and have also tried just using the drivers automatically provided by Microsoft. No dice with anything.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

popatim

Titan
Did you enable HD audio as well as enabled front panel hd audio in the bios?
Its in the southbridge section

edit - I can't find any info on which formats your case supports. make sure to use the HD audio cable fromt he case but if it only has an ac'97 then disable the hd stuff in the bios.

zoooks

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Yep! The front panel only has an option for "Auto" and "Disabled", but it is set to auto in the BIOS.

The case supports both formats, but I have double checked to make sure that I used the HD Audio cable and not the AC' 97.

Thanks for the reply. This is fairly perplexing.

alejandrop89

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Hello, first of all sorry for revive this old thread, but googling i found this thread and I have exactly the same problem with the same mobo, an Asrock z77 extreme 4.

I have tried EVERYTHING. Different OS (win 8 and win 7 both x64, Ubuntu 12.04), I have even changed the tower (actually just connected the HD Audio cable from another tower to the mobo). Tried to connect HD Audio and AC'97 connection, select the options at the UEFI (BIOS?) setup, clear CMOS of the BIOS, install the drivers from realtek... I do not know what else to do. Everytime, and on any OS, it says the headphones (and microphone) of the front panel are connected.

I have updated the bios a while ago trough itself, at the BIOS options connecting it to the internet and it changed the "wallpaper" (now is just black with green "ASRock", not the "555 XFast" picture) at the beggining of the startup (that's the only significant change I noticed). I do not remember if this happen before, just didn't realized until few days ago.

I have emailed Asrock and they don't have any idea (of anything, I bet the person who answered my emails can't say where is the RAM socket at the mobo).

Well, thanks and sorry for my english. Hope anyone can help!

Cheers

zoooks

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Hey alejandrop89,

I'd like to tell you that I found a solution to this problem in the months since I posted this, but after trying everything you mentioned and more myself (including updating the BIOS, clearing CMOS, switching to Ubuntu, trying several drivers, and emailing ASRock), I've never been able to find a solution. I frequently switch between my headphones and speakers, but I have to go into the sound options and change the default every time I switch.

Sorry I can't help you (I wish I could!), but I've somewhat given up on finding a solution to this problem. If you find a solution or have a lead, please let me know!

Regards,
zoooks

petard

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014

Ha same thing for me, sorry to revive this old thread but this is exactly my problem, except I have an ASRock Z87 Extreme6 (and Antec P280).

Do you have an Antec P280 case? Or just an ASRock motherboard?

Is it the ASRock, the Antec P280, or the combination that causes this?

This was my first ASRock motherboard that I used on my daily computer and it's looking to be my last. I've had it for half a year now and this problem is bugging me to no end. Might have to just buy a USB DAC that supports jack sensing if there is such a thing.

alejandrop89

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

Hi, it is not the case, it is the Mother board only. I have an Aerocool RS4 and have tried with another case and that is not the problem. Anyway, you can use this software http://soundswitch.codeplex.com/ it is not the same but i liked it and make the things easier

petard

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014

Thank you, that software looks good! I'll probably avoid ASRock from now on. What total bullshit, the rear ports have jack sensing and the front ones don't.

Phate_Shepherd

Commendable
May 14, 2016
I know this is a SERIOUSLY old thread, but I did find a solution to this issue, at least with my P280 case.

The geniuses at Antec did provide an HDAudio front panel on my P280 case, but they neglected to do one thing: Tell the motherboard it is there.

In order for the motherboard to know you have an HDAudio front panel, pin 4 must be tied to ground (Usually through a 1k resistor.) Antec left pin 4 empty, so the motherboard had no idea the front panel was capable of detecting when something was plugged in.

So, the solution was to pull a pin and wire from an old plug and push it into the empty pin 4 on the Antec audio plug, tie the other end of this new wire through a 1k resistor to ground, and front panel audio detection worked on next boot.

What is so frustrating about this, is the case I used previously also had an HDAudio front panel, but I could never figure out why it wouldn't mute the rear audio when headphones were plugged in. I'll bet it had the same problem.