running server from behind a router

Last response: in Networking
Share
July 29, 2004 4:20:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.apache.configuration,alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

My configuration is :
win XP home
running apache 2.0.43, PHP 4,
web server running on port 80
Billion 5100 - 4 port router/DSL modem running on port 88 at the moment

runs fine and is accessible from the outside world on my IP when I use an
ADSL modem ( no router or hub)

with the billion router attached (set not to run on port 80 so as to free
that port up) my server can not be accessed from the outside world, it is
accessible from within the LAN on http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ ,
http://localhost and http://computername

I know it has something to do with port forwarding but I don't know where to
start and what to configure in the router to accomplish this

if there is anyone who thinks they can help and want some screen shots of
the router admin interface I would be glad to send some to you..

thanks in advance

More about : running server router

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 3:16:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.apache.configuration,alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

took 2 mins to locate this:

http://www.billion.com/support/faq/faq-a20.htm
http://www.billion.com/support/faq/faq-a21.htm

"chris" <someone@here.com> wrote in message news:4107d24c@funnel.arach.net.au...
> My configuration is :
> win XP home
> running apache 2.0.43, PHP 4,
> web server running on port 80
> Billion 5100 - 4 port router/DSL modem running on port 88 at the moment
>
> runs fine and is accessible from the outside world on my IP when I use an
> ADSL modem ( no router or hub)
>
> with the billion router attached (set not to run on port 80 so as to free
> that port up) my server can not be accessed from the outside world, it is
> accessible from within the LAN on http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ ,
> http://localhost and http://computername
>
> I know it has something to do with port forwarding but I don't know where to
> start and what to configure in the router to accomplish this
>
> if there is anyone who thinks they can help and want some screen shots of
> the router admin interface I would be glad to send some to you..
>
> thanks in advance

July 30, 2004 5:24:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.apache.configuration,alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

i have now actually found some instructions that were great

thanks anyway

i tried all sorts of things but i didnt set up the NIC on my computer
correctly - as it turnes out it wasnt to do with the actual router
thanks again

"Hostmaster (NS)" <dont.need@my.address.ok> wrote in message
took 2 mins to locate this:

http://www.billion.com/support/faq/faq-a20.htm
http://www.billion.com/support/faq/faq-a21.htm

"chris" <someone@here.com> wrote in message
> My configuration is :
> win XP home
> running apache 2.0.43, PHP 4,
> web server running on port 80
> Billion 5100 - 4 port router/DSL modem running on port 88 at the moment
>
> runs fine and is accessible from the outside world on my IP when I use an
> ADSL modem ( no router or hub)
>
> with the billion router attached (set not to run on port 80 so as to free
> that port up) my server can not be accessed from the outside world, it is
> accessible from within the LAN on http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ ,
> http://localhost and http://computername
>
> I know it has something to do with port forwarding but I don't know where
> start and what to configure in the router to accomplish this
>
> if there is anyone who thinks they can help and want some screen shots of
> the router admin interface I would be glad to send some to you..
>
> thanks in advance

August 2, 2004 5:39:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.apache.configuration,alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

what it sounds like you need to do is change your nat policies to nat your
PUBLIC IP to your webserver. so it would say anything on port 80 on IP
X.X.X.X nat to PRIVATE IP. that should be all..

Cory

"chris" <someone@here.com> wrote in message
> My configuration is :
> win XP home
> running apache 2.0.43, PHP 4,
> web server running on port 80
> Billion 5100 - 4 port router/DSL modem running on port 88 at the moment
>
> runs fine and is accessible from the outside world on my IP when I use an
> ADSL modem ( no router or hub)
>
> with the billion router attached (set not to run on port 80 so as to free
> that port up) my server can not be accessed from the outside world, it is
> accessible from within the LAN on http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ ,
> http://localhost and http://computername
>
> I know it has something to do with port forwarding but I don't know where
> start and what to configure in the router to accomplish this
>
> if there is anyone who thinks they can help and want some screen shots of
> the router admin interface I would be glad to send some to you..
>
> thanks in advance

August 3, 2004 8:51:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.apache.configuration,alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

i have managed to get it running

and setup the dns etc

however if i goto domain.com from within the lan i cant see the page - if i
goto localhost or private ip i can see it ok

from the outside workld it i saccessable on tha domain.com or dedicated IP

why cant i see it from within the lan by going to http://domain.com ???

i have forwarded port 80 to my internal ip thats what i needed to do to get
it going so far

Thanks

however if someone goes to my domain name
"Cory Wilkerson" <Cory_Wilkerson@JeffersonCountyOh.com> wrote in message
> what it sounds like you need to do is change your nat policies to nat your
> PUBLIC IP to your webserver. so it would say anything on port 80 on IP
> X.X.X.X nat to PRIVATE IP. that should be all..
>
> Cory
>
> "chris" <someone@here.com> wrote in message
> > My configuration is :
> > win XP home
> > running apache 2.0.43, PHP 4,
> > web server running on port 80
> > Billion 5100 - 4 port router/DSL modem running on port 88 at the moment
> >
> > runs fine and is accessible from the outside world on my IP when I use
an
> > ADSL modem ( no router or hub)
> >
> > with the billion router attached (set not to run on port 80 so as to
free
> > that port up) my server can not be accessed from the outside world, it
is
> > accessible from within the LAN on http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ ,
> > http://localhost and http://computername
> >
> > I know it has something to do with port forwarding but I don't know
where
> > start and what to configure in the router to accomplish this
> >
> > if there is anyone who thinks they can help and want some screen shots
of
> > the router admin interface I would be glad to send some to you..
> >
> > thanks in advance

Anonymous
August 3, 2004 1:41:12 PM

most adsl routers don't let your external request ie: http://domain.com/ work, as it treats you as a 'local internal connection' you could put domain.com into your hosts file and map into the LAN ip address of the server

"chris" <someone@here.com> wrote in message news:410ea96a$1@funnel.arach.net.au...
> i have managed to get it running
>
> and setup the dns etc
>
> however if i goto domain.com from within the lan i cant see the page - if i
> goto localhost or private ip i can see it ok
>
> from the outside workld it i saccessable on tha domain.com or dedicated IP
>

> why cant i see it from within the lan by going to http://domain.com ???
>
> i have forwarded port 80 to my internal ip thats what i needed to do to get
> it going so far
>
> Thanks
>
> however if someone goes to my domain name
> "Cory Wilkerson" <Cory_Wilkerson@JeffersonCountyOh.com> wrote in message
> > what it sounds like you need to do is change your nat policies to nat your
> > PUBLIC IP to your webserver. so it would say anything on port 80 on IP
> > X.X.X.X nat to PRIVATE IP. that should be all..
> >
> > Cory
> >
> > "chris" <someone@here.com> wrote in message
> > > My configuration is :
> > > win XP home
> > > running apache 2.0.43, PHP 4,
> > > web server running on port 80
> > > Billion 5100 - 4 port router/DSL modem running on port 88 at the moment
> > >
> > > runs fine and is accessible from the outside world on my IP when I use
> an
> > > ADSL modem ( no router or hub)
> > >
> > > with the billion router attached (set not to run on port 80 so as to
> free
> > > that port up) my server can not be accessed from the outside world, it
> is
> > > accessible from within the LAN on http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ ,
> > > http://localhost and http://computername
> > >
> > > I know it has something to do with port forwarding but I don't know
> where
> > > start and what to configure in the router to accomplish this
> > >
> > > if there is anyone who thinks they can help and want some screen shots
> of
> > > the router admin interface I would be glad to send some to you..
> > >
> > > thanks in advance

August 4, 2004 8:45:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.apache.configuration,alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

that worked and i can now access dominan.com from the server computer

BUT (isnt there always a but)

i cannot access it from the other pc's on the network

!