Non-clogging printer recommendations?

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 17, 2005 3:58:10 PM

I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.

My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
color with the Epson.

I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
something with a small format / fewer nozzels.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 4:21:25 PM

A note: Just looked on the Red River site and they've added the ICC
profile for the i9900 ...
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 5:34:31 PM

>I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
>with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up.

I have a Epson 1200 sitting in my basement ready to go in the trash
just because of this. I don't have the time or patience to mess around
with purging the clogged print heads with warm distilled water. I'm
never going to buy another Epson product for as long as I live, I am so
disappointed with this printer. I ran more cleaning cycles than actual
prints.

I bought a Canon Pixma 5000 about 4 months ago. It doesn't do large
format (larger than 8x10, anyway) -- but for the few times I need that
I'll go to the print shop at the mall, or send out.

The Canon is awesome... true borderless 4x6 prints with no perforated
edges to tear off...full duplexing for when the kids have to print
their book reports...almost bizarre low ink consumption...the photos
come out looking just as good or better than any of the Fuji minilab
print places I've used.

No problems or issues with either the software or driver on Windows
XP...just follow their install directions and it seems fine.

-Chris
August 17, 2005 6:21:29 PM

> The Canon is awesome ... true borderless 4x6 prints with no
> perforated edges to tear off ... full duplexing for when the kids
> have to print their book reports ... almost bizarre low ink
> consumption ... the photos come out looking just as good or better
> than any of the Fuji minilab print places I've used.

So how has the color fidelity been with the Canon? That's the other
concern I've seen voiced.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 7:12:30 PM

lasitter wrote:

> I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
> with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
> buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
> just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
>
> My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
> drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
> use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
> color with the Epson.
>
> I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
> like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
> finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
> something with a small format / fewer nozzels.

With HP printers, the print heads are incorporated into the ink
cartridges. When you install a new cartridge, you're also
installing a new print head.

The only bad thing about this is the cartridges are expensive.

I've got an old DeskJet 952 that I've had for about 3 years.
I've never had a clog.
August 17, 2005 11:26:41 PM

On 17 Aug 2005 11:58:10 -0700, "lasitter" <cl@ncdm.com> wrote:

>I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
>with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
>buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
>just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
>
>My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
>drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
>use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
>color with the Epson.
>
>I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
>like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
>finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
>something with a small format / fewer nozzels.

I've 0only had trouble with my 1270 about three times, once where I
had to do something other than just run the cleaning program. I leave
it turned on all the time, but maybe run a print sesion once a month.

At my mom's house we have an HP that gets left for months at a time,
turned off, that has never shown a clogging problem.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:36:41 AM

"lasitter" <cl@ncdm.com> wrote in message news:1124305090.097078.27840@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
> with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
> buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
> just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
>
> My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
> drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
> use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
> color with the Epson.
>
> I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
> like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
> finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
> something with a small format / fewer nozzels.

We've had our Epson R800 for almost a year and haven't
had a single clog so far. Unlike our old Stylus Color 800.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 2:07:29 AM

"lasitter" <cl@ncdm.com> wrote in message
> I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
> with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
> buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
> just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
>
> My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
> drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
> use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
> color with the Epson.
>
> I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
> like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
> finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
> something with a small format / fewer nozzels.

My Epson 870 can sit for weeks between printing w/o clogging up.

Mark
August 18, 2005 3:25:10 AM

lasitter wrote:

> I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
> with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
> buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
> just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
>
> My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
> drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
> use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
> color with the Epson.
>
> I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
> like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
> finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
> something with a small format / fewer nozzels.

I'm using an i9900 and also have had a 8200 since they came out (uses the
same type ink) and have NEVER had a clog, even if the printer sat for
months unused.

The problem with the i9900 isn't the driver, it's the profiles and the
manufacturing tolerances of the print heads. To get a GOOD output, you will
need to get a custom profile made for the printer for the paper you plan to
use. Ilford classic pearl looks great and I used Cathy's profiles to make a
perfect profile for the sample I have on my desk for $40. Couple this with
Qimage and you'll be in love with the output. The other bonus is the canon
brand inks seem VERY consistant from tank to tank so replacing inks doesn't
cause color shifts like I've read some other printers do. I'm also
impressed with the number of prints per ink tank. Hope this helps.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

lasitter wrote:

> I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
> with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
> buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
> just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
>
> My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
> drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
> use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
> color with the Epson.
>
> I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
> like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
> finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
> something with a small format / fewer nozzels.

The Canon i9900 is a great printer, but may not work well with non-Canon paper
because it prints very fast and needs the paper to absorb the ink quickly.
This was my experience with HP and Ilford paper in my Canon i9950 but you have
to look closely with the naked eye to see the problem. YMMV.

Ben Thomas - Melbourne, Australia
The essentials: Kodak DX6490, Nikon D70, Canon i9950, Pioneer DVR-109,
Hitachi W37-PD2100, DGTEC 2000A, Harmon/Kardon AVR4500, Denon DVD-2800,
Whatmough Synergy, Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm LifeDrive.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 6:23:05 AM

Ben Thomas wrote:
> lasitter wrote:
>
>> I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
>> with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
>> buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
>> just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
>>
>> My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
>> drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
>> use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
>> color with the Epson.
>>
>> I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
>> like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
>> finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
>> something with a small format / fewer nozzels.
>>

> The Canon i9900 is a great printer, but may not work well with non-Canon
> paper because it prints very fast and needs the paper to absorb the ink
> quickly.
> This was my experience with HP and Ilford paper in my Canon i9950 but
> you have to look closely with the naked eye to see the problem. YMMV.

Many of the new printers are designed so that the ink and paper are a
'system', and the papers need to be compatible with the inks. It is
probably best to use the papers recommended by the printer manufacturer,
or be ready to experiment a bit.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Stacey wrote:
> lasitter wrote:
>
>> I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
>> with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
>> buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
>> just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
>>
>> My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
>> drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
>> use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
>> color with the Epson.
>>
>> I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
>> like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
>> finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
>> something with a small format / fewer nozzels.
>

> I'm using an i9900 and also have had a 8200 since they came out (uses the
> same type ink) and have NEVER had a clog, even if the printer sat for
> months unused.
>
> The problem with the i9900 isn't the driver, it's the profiles and the
> manufacturing tolerances of the print heads. To get a GOOD output, you will
> need to get a custom profile made for the printer for the paper you plan to
> use. Ilford classic pearl looks great and I used Cathy's profiles to make a
> perfect profile for the sample I have on my desk for $40. Couple this with
> Qimage and you'll be in love with the output. The other bonus is the canon
> brand inks seem VERY consistant from tank to tank so replacing inks doesn't
> cause color shifts like I've read some other printers do. I'm also
> impressed with the number of prints per ink tank. Hope this helps.

Much of the problem with inkjets clogging is caused by the user turning
the printer off from a power strip, and keeping the head from parking.
Also, after periods of disuse, some printers will automatically run a
head cleaning process,but if they are turned off, this won't happen.
I rarely use my printer, so my wife uses it from time to time to balance
ink use, which keeps mine ready to go when I need it.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 10:45:25 AM

I'll second that - Canon iP5000 is a superb printer; fast, quiet and
excellent quality.

Guy

furtherside@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
>> with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up.
>
> I bought a Canon Pixma 5000 about 4 months ago. It doesn't do large
> format (larger than 8x10, anyway) -- but for the few times I need that
> I'll go to the print shop at the mall, or send out.
>
> The Canon is awesome... true borderless 4x6 prints with no perforated
> edges to tear off...full duplexing for when the kids have to print
> their book reports...almost bizarre low ink consumption...the photos
> come out looking just as good or better than any of the Fuji minilab
> print places I've used.
>
> No problems or issues with either the software or driver on Windows
> XP...just follow their install directions and it seems fine.
>
> -Chris
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 11:04:09 AM

On 17 Aug 2005 11:58:10 -0700, "lasitter" <cl@ncdm.com> wrote:

>I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
>with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
>buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
>just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.

It seems to me (not just reading the answers here, but also from past
questions like this) that a common thread is cloging after leaving he
printer sitting unused for long periods of time; say, a month or more.
I have had several Epsons (I currently use an R300), and I don't have
a clogging problem. I recently went on a 3-week vacation, and it
worked right the first time; maybe 3 weeks isn't enough time? :-)
Anyway, maybe just a light use (a small photo on plain paper) every
other week, just to get the ink flowing, will keep them from clogging;
I usually print more often that that, and, like I say, I don't get
clogs.
Just a thought.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

"lasitter" <cl@ncdm.com> wrote in message
> I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
> with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
> buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
> just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
>
> My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
> drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
> use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
> color with the Epson.
>
> I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
> like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
> finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
> something with a small format / fewer nozzels.

I have an Epson stylus 6 ink photo printer I bought a couple years ago. I
always turn it off with the power button that is on the unit. I have to
battle the damn thing just to get the heads unclogged. I have to unplug the
ribbon cables and remove screws to take out the head to clean it if the
cleaning cycles do not work. I must waste half the ink on cleaning cycles!
When the ink ran out, I stopped using it.
-S
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:28:46 PM

In article <1124305090.097078.27840@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
cl@ncdm.com (lasitter) wrote:

> *From:* "lasitter" <cl@ncdm.com>
> *Date:* 17 Aug 2005 11:58:10 -0700
>
> I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
> with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up.
Did you use Epson inks or third party? The latter usually causes far more
problems. All my clogging problems went away (more or less) when I
switched to Epson's own brand inks.

Iain
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:52:46 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Much of the problem with inkjets clogging is caused by the user turning
> the printer off from a power strip, and keeping the head from parking.
> Also, after periods of disuse, some printers will automatically run a
> head cleaning process,but if they are turned off, this won't happen.
> I rarely use my printer, so my wife uses it from time to time to balance
> ink use, which keeps mine ready to go when I need it.

I've heard about this, but the manual on my Canon S9000 made no mention
of it. I now have a clogged print head. Does anyone know if Canon
printers will self clean if plugged into outlet rather than switched
power strip? Mine is plugged into strip at moment, but it would be easy
enough to move plug.

Also, my Canon manual makes no mention of changing printheads. Does
anyone know if they are replaceable by owner, or is it a pretty tricky
operation?
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 2:20:46 PM

lasitter wrote:

> > The Canon is awesome ... true borderless 4x6 prints with no
> > perforated edges to tear off ... full duplexing for when the kids
> > have to print their book reports ... almost bizarre low ink
> > consumption ... the photos come out looking just as good or better
> > than any of the Fuji minilab print places I've used.
>
> So how has the color fidelity been with the Canon? That's the other
> concern I've seen voiced.

I have the Canon i9950 (the version with the CD-printing feature but
otherwise identical) and do quite a lot of A4 and the odd A3 prints.
The print quality is awesome, I can't see any difference between its
prints and Frontier 8x12's. Everyone, camera club types included, are
amazed the prints are from an inkjet.

Color accuracy is excellent, and proof of this is the absolutely neutral
blacks when printing a monochrome image. It has 8 tanks, two each of
cyan and magenta, and yellow, red, green, and black. It can accommodate
sRGB and AdobeRGB color gamuts. You need to get your color handling
right, but it's not too hard to do. There has been criticism of the ICC
profiles supplied for Canon paper, and I have found the profile for
Canon matte paper to be not so hot, but the glossy is very good, and of
course other papers supply their own profiles generally.

Lastly, its quiet, and fast, like a high quality 8x10 or A4 in about two
minutes. After my Epson taking about 8 minutes for the same size, it's
fantastic.

Colin D.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 11:42:59 PM

"Bill Funk" <BigBill@pipping.com.com> wrote in message news:m159g15ob9otnor70ivj956idt34nfoiu2@4ax.com...
> On 17 Aug 2005 11:58:10 -0700, "lasitter" <cl@ncdm.com> wrote:
>
> >I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
> >with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
> >buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
> >just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
>
> It seems to me (not just reading the answers here, but also from past
> questions like this) that a common thread is cloging after leaving he
> printer sitting unused for long periods of time; say, a month or more.
> I have had several Epsons (I currently use an R300), and I don't have
> a clogging problem. I recently went on a 3-week vacation, and it
> worked right the first time; maybe 3 weeks isn't enough time? :-)
> Anyway, maybe just a light use (a small photo on plain paper) every
> other week, just to get the ink flowing, will keep them from clogging;
> I usually print more often that that, and, like I say, I don't get
> clogs.
> Just a thought.

There are several common threads among people who have clogging
problems with Epson printers:

-- They use third-party cartridges, and/or refill Epson's cartridges
with third-party inks;

-- They live in areas with low relative humidity, or use the printers in
environments with low relative humidity;

-- They use a power strip, wall switch etc to turn off their printers,
which prevents the printers from engaging its head seal.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 11:43:00 PM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:42:59 GMT, "Pete R" <nospam4me@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>"Bill Funk" <BigBill@pipping.com.com> wrote in message news:m159g15ob9otnor70ivj956idt34nfoiu2@4ax.com...
>> On 17 Aug 2005 11:58:10 -0700, "lasitter" <cl@ncdm.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
>> >with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
>> >buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
>> >just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
>>
>> It seems to me (not just reading the answers here, but also from past
>> questions like this) that a common thread is cloging after leaving he
>> printer sitting unused for long periods of time; say, a month or more.
>> I have had several Epsons (I currently use an R300), and I don't have
>> a clogging problem. I recently went on a 3-week vacation, and it
>> worked right the first time; maybe 3 weeks isn't enough time? :-)
>> Anyway, maybe just a light use (a small photo on plain paper) every
>> other week, just to get the ink flowing, will keep them from clogging;
>> I usually print more often that that, and, like I say, I don't get
>> clogs.
>> Just a thought.
>
>There are several common threads among people who have clogging
>problems with Epson printers:
>
>-- They use third-party cartridges, and/or refill Epson's cartridges
>with third-party inks;
>
>-- They live in areas with low relative humidity, or use the printers in
>environments with low relative humidity;
>
>-- They use a power strip, wall switch etc to turn off their printers,
>which prevents the printers from engaging its head seal.

Yes, you're right, of course.
But I was thinking that by now, most people who complain about clogged
printheads would know about the first & third, above. Maybe not?
As for the humidity, here in Phoenix, we go through several months of
very low humidity, and I don't have the problem. Maybe I just live
right.
--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 11:57:19 PM

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:42:59 GMT, "Pete R" <nospam4me@earthlink.net>
> wrote:

>>> It seems to me (not just reading the answers here, but also from past
>>> questions like this) that a common thread is cloging after leaving he
>>> printer sitting unused for long periods of time; say, a month or more.
>>> I have had several Epsons (I currently use an R300), and I don't have
>>> a clogging problem. I recently went on a 3-week vacation, and it
>>> worked right the first time; maybe 3 weeks isn't enough time? :-)
>>> Anyway, maybe just a light use (a small photo on plain paper) every
>>> other week, just to get the ink flowing, will keep them from clogging;
>>> I usually print more often that that, and, like I say, I don't get
>>> clogs.
>>> Just a thought.
>> There are several common threads among people who have clogging
>> problems with Epson printers:
>>
>> -- They use third-party cartridges, and/or refill Epson's cartridges
>> with third-party inks;
>>
>> -- They live in areas with low relative humidity, or use the printers in
>> environments with low relative humidity;
>>
>> -- They use a power strip, wall switch etc to turn off their printers,
>> which prevents the printers from engaging its head seal.
>>
> Yes, you're right, of course.
> But I was thinking that by now, most people who complain about clogged
> printheads would know about the first & third, above. Maybe not?
> As for the humidity, here in Phoenix, we go through several months of
> very low humidity, and I don't have the problem. Maybe I just live
> right.
Or maybe your home has a humidifier in the A/C system, and it SHOULD in
that climate.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:35:02 AM

Pete R wrote:

I had an Epson Photo 700 that had clogging issues.

> There are several common threads among people who have clogging
> problems with Epson printers:
>
> -- They use third-party cartridges, and/or refill Epson's cartridges
> with third-party inks;

Not me.

> -- They live in areas with low relative humidity, or use the printers in
> environments with low relative humidity;

I think that's the main cause of the problem.

> -- They use a power strip, wall switch etc to turn off their printers,
> which prevents the printers from engaging its head seal.

Not me.

Ben Thomas - Melbourne, Australia
The essentials: Kodak DX6490, Nikon D70, Canon i9950, Pioneer DVR-109,
Hitachi W37-PD2100, DGTEC 2000A, Harmon/Kardon AVR4500, Denon DVD-2800,
Whatmough Synergy, Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm LifeDrive.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:35:03 AM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:35:02 GMT, Ben Thomas <nosp@m.thanks.mate>
wrote:

>Pete R wrote:
>

>I had an Epson Photo 700 that had clogging issues.
>
>> There are several common threads among people who have clogging
>> problems with Epson printers:
>>
>> -- They use third-party cartridges, and/or refill Epson's cartridges
>> with third-party inks;
>
>Not me.
>
>> -- They live in areas with low relative humidity, or use the printers in
>> environments with low relative humidity;
>
>I think that's the main cause of the problem.
>
>> -- They use a power strip, wall switch etc to turn off their printers,
>> which prevents the printers from engaging its head seal.
>
>Not me.
>
>--
But how about long periods without any printing?

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:35:04 AM

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:35:02 GMT, Ben Thomas <nosp@m.thanks.mate>
> wrote:
>
>> Pete R wrote:
>>

>> I had an Epson Photo 700 that had clogging issues.
>>
>>> There are several common threads among people who have clogging
>>> problems with Epson printers:
>>>
>>> -- They use third-party cartridges, and/or refill Epson's cartridges
>>> with third-party inks;
>> Not me.
>>
>>> -- They live in areas with low relative humidity, or use the printers in
>>> environments with low relative humidity;
>> I think that's the main cause of the problem.
>>
>>> -- They use a power strip, wall switch etc to turn off their printers,
>>> which prevents the printers from engaging its head seal.
>> Not me.
>>
>> --
> But how about long periods without any printing?

If the printer is off, that would be a cause. HP printers (at least all
that I have owned) will do a clean cycle periodically if not used. It
is still possible to get some clogging if the printer isn't used for a
month or two.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 2:31:13 AM

"Bill Funk" <BigBill@pipping.com.com> wrote in message news:1j2ag1h0lkvavqf2a0fvllm43gp8clhpal@4ax.com...
> >--
> But how about long periods without any printing?

That's where one sees a substantial difference between Epson
inks and third-party inks. Obviously head seals aren't as
airtight as an unopened cartridge, but third-party inks will
dry out and clog the lines much faster than Epson inks.
August 19, 2005 4:09:29 AM

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Much of the problem with inkjets clogging is caused by the user turning
> the printer off from a power strip, and keeping the head from parking.
> Also, after periods of disuse, some printers will automatically run a
> head cleaning process,but if they are turned off, this won't happen.

Interesting as I've never turned my system off at the power source so maybe
that's the reason I've never had any problems?
--

Stacey
Anonymous

In article <7x5Ne.6948$Wi6.2498@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Pete R <nospam4me@earthlink.net> wrote:

>There are several common threads among people who have clogging
>problems with Epson printers:

OK, I had a 1290, which I finally got so exasperated with that I sold on.
It would clog repeatedly after a couple of days without use.

>-- They use third-party cartridges, and/or refill Epson's cartridges
>with third-party inks;

I only ever used genuine new Epson cartridges, which I generally had to
waste half of squirting through the head to declog.

>-- They live in areas with low relative humidity, or use the printers in
>environments with low relative humidity;

I live in Eastern England, where the humidity is rarely low.

>-- They use a power strip, wall switch etc to turn off their printers,
>which prevents the printers from engaging its head seal.

I always turned the printer off using the switch on the printer, immediately
after use.

So 0/3, and it still clogged all the time. I won't buy another Epson printer
unless they fix this issue.
August 19, 2005 4:29:52 AM

After reading about the Epsions, HPs , and Canon I went with the CanonI9900
and since Loved it. Prints are great, made a test print hung it in a window,
no cover, facing the sun, and three mounts later No color fade problems.

"Chris Brown" <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote in message
> In article <7x5Ne.6948$Wi6.2498@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> Pete R <nospam4me@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>There are several common threads among people who have clogging
>>problems with Epson printers:
>
> OK, I had a 1290, which I finally got so exasperated with that I sold on.
> It would clog repeatedly after a couple of days without use.
>
>>-- They use third-party cartridges, and/or refill Epson's cartridges
>>with third-party inks;
>
> I only ever used genuine new Epson cartridges, which I generally had to
> waste half of squirting through the head to declog.
>
>>-- They live in areas with low relative humidity, or use the printers in
>>environments with low relative humidity;
>
> I live in Eastern England, where the humidity is rarely low.
>
>>-- They use a power strip, wall switch etc to turn off their printers,
>>which prevents the printers from engaging its head seal.
>
> I always turned the printer off using the switch on the printer,
> immediately
> after use.
>
> So 0/3, and it still clogged all the time. I won't buy another Epson
> printer
> unless they fix this issue.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:19:13 PM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:57:19 -0500, Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net>
wrote:

>Bill Funk wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:42:59 GMT, "Pete R" <nospam4me@earthlink.net>
>> wrote:

>>> There are several common threads among people who have clogging
>>> problems with Epson printers:
>>>
>>> -- They use third-party cartridges, and/or refill Epson's cartridges
>>> with third-party inks;
>>>
>>> -- They live in areas with low relative humidity, or use the printers in
>>> environments with low relative humidity;
>>>
>>> -- They use a power strip, wall switch etc to turn off their printers,
>>> which prevents the printers from engaging its head seal.
>>>
>> Yes, you're right, of course.
>> But I was thinking that by now, most people who complain about clogged
>> printheads would know about the first & third, above. Maybe not?
>> As for the humidity, here in Phoenix, we go through several months of
>> very low humidity, and I don't have the problem. Maybe I just live
>> right.
>Or maybe your home has a humidifier in the A/C system, and it SHOULD in
>that climate.

No, no humidifier at all.

--
!