Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bad PCI-E Slot or Bad Graphics Card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 27, 2012 2:47:09 AM

I recently bought an Asus GeForce 560ti (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121424) and put it in my ASRock z77 Pro4 Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157296). When I turn the computer on the fans on the Graphics Card spin, and the LED lights light up, but the motherboard isn't recognizing the GPU and is using the on board Intel graphics instead. I have tried both slots on the motherboard and they so not recognize the graphics card, and continue to use the Intel graphics. Does anyone know if it is a bad graphics card, or bad PCI slots on the motherboard?
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2012 3:00:21 AM

I know this may sound silly, but is your VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc. cable connected to your 560Ti? or do you have it plugged into your motherboard?

- Jake
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2012 3:03:30 AM

Another silly question would be if it's set to PEG(PCI Express Graphics) as the primary video output in BIOS.

It should be by default, but you never know.

Score
Related resources
May 27, 2012 3:30:58 AM

I just checked and PCI Express is set as the PGA. The VGA cable was not connected to the graphics card but i just tried that and the monitor stayed blank. I still cannot tell if it is just me, a broken GPU, or bad PCI-E slots causing this.
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a c 200 U Graphics card
a c 462 V Motherboard
May 27, 2012 3:34:55 AM

check that you have all the power cables plugged into your video card..some have one some have two. from the new egg photo this card has two 6 pin pci power plugs.
May 27, 2012 3:44:33 AM

I feel like the dumbest person ever. The reason I didn't plug in both was because they sent me a cable with a white heading, I am not sure what it is called but It doesn't seem to work with the video card and I read that when a GPU has two slots for power you only need one unless you are overclocking. I found this converter that converts the white header to a VGA (blue) cable and it works perfectly now! Thank you yougotjaked, cliffro, and most of all smorizio for the help. I appreciate it.
Score
May 27, 2012 3:48:06 AM

Best answer selected by josh980.
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2012 3:51:24 AM

josh980 said:
I feel like the dumbest person ever. The reason I didn't plug in both was because they sent me a cable with a white heading, I am not sure what it is called but It doesn't seem to work with the video card and I read that when a GPU has two slots for power you only need one unless you are overclocking. I found this converter that converts the white header to a VGA (blue) cable and it works perfectly now! Thank you yougotjaked, cliffro, and most of all smorizio for the help. I appreciate it.
Glad you figured it out :) 

- Jake
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a c 200 U Graphics card
a c 462 V Motherboard
May 28, 2012 3:26:26 AM

that cable called a 4 pin molex to a 6 pin pci-e power plug. there used for when people only have one pci power plug on there power supply.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a c 705 U Graphics card
a c 973 V Motherboard
May 28, 2012 3:29:07 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!