Why isn't my graphics card performing as well as it should be?

Hello, I recently purchased a Radeon 6770 to replace my 6570. After I had some driver problems, I managed to get it to work, though some games perform much worse than before. My guess is that this is due to some sort of driver error or the graphics card isn't getting enough power due to me having a 450w power supply when this DOES require 450w so I'm right on the border.
11 answers Last reply
More about graphics card performing
  1. try running gpu-z and see if the mb video slot is reading the card right.
  2. you forgot to had the power used by all your other parts on the system so your psu is on is max working limit see what is he realy giving you on the 12 volts line
  3. smorizio said:
    try running gpu-z and see if the mb video slot is reading the card right.

    I downloaded and ran GPU-Z and I'm not sure what I should be looking at to tell if the mb video slot is reading the card right
  4. it should be able to read the model..bios info..on the slot is should read pci 2.0/e.01 or 3.0 running in 16x mode if it one card.
  5. The field is "Bus Interface".
  6. run some tests (prime, furmark etc) see how it behaves

    6670 is still a basic card dont expect too much?

    insufficent psu = overload = system cut/crash/reset this does not sound like psu
  7. Silly question, but someone has to ask: Have you connected the 6-pin Pci-e power to the card?
  8. cuecuemore said:
    The field is "Bus Interface".

    The ports check out all good.
  9. cuecuemore said:
    Silly question, but someone has to ask: Have you connected the 6-pin Pci-e power to the card?

    Yeah, the 6-pin is connected just fine.
  10. PSU model please. while you don't need anywhere near 450 W for a 6770 system the sad facts of life are some 450W PSUs put out less than 250W.

    The rest of your system specs would help as well. Also use gpuz and enable the log and play a game so see what its usage % is and check for temp problems
  11. unksol said:
    PSU model please. while you don't need anywhere near 450 W for a 6770 system the sad facts of life are some 450W PSUs put out less than 250W.

    The rest of your system specs would help as well. Also use gpuz and enable the log and play a game so see what its usage % is and check for temp problems

    I have no clue to be honest, but if that's the case, would it really reduce performance that much? If my power supply was THAT low would seem like it would just crash.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Power Supplies Graphics Cards Graphics