how do i deal with a priest's "silence"?

Hey -

Today I got my butt kicked by a higher level priest over and over and a big
part of it was the priest using "silence" on me. Are there any potions or
magic items that help protect against silence?

Thanks!
--
Munk
53 druid

In <l_mre.44082$PR6.42355@tornado.texas.rr.com> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> writes:

> Today I got my butt kicked by a higher level priest over and over and a big
> part of it was the priest using "silence" on me. Are there any potions or
> magic items that help protect against silence?

Silence has a 45 second cooldown, so he can't really be using it that
often. Plus it has a fairly short range (20 yards), so keeping him at a
distance will help.

When he does silence you, shift into an animal form and attack?

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

Thanks for the info/advice.
First thing he was doing is fear.
Then he would drain me with that lightning-looking health drain.
Then he hits me with silence and I can't heal.
And he hits me again with either health drain or some other damage thing and
I die.
Shifting into animal form would not get me any health :(
I suppose I could shift to travel form and run away and stay away until
silence wears off...
--
Munk
53 druid

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:35:13 GMT, "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>Today I got my butt kicked by a higher level priest over and over and a big
>part of it was the priest using "silence" on me. Are there any potions or
>magic items that help protect against silence?

No, not to my knowledge.
Keep in mind though that it only shuts you up for 5 seconds and has a
45 second cooldown - perhaps you can try to bait him into using it
prematurely?

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

ah 5 seconds! Knowing that helps a lot.

--
Munk
53 druid

"Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the info/advice.
> First thing he was doing is fear.
> Then he would drain me with that lightning-looking health drain.
> Then he hits me with silence and I can't heal.
> And he hits me again with either health drain or some other damage thing and
> I die.
> Shifting into animal form would not get me any health :(
> I suppose I could shift to travel form and run away and stay away until
> silence wears off...

I'm pretty sure we can't shift when silenced. If my memories about shadowfang
keep aren't totally broken, we can't even use rage consuming abilities in
bear form when silenced :-(

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (14) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Christian Stauffer wrote:

> If my memories about
> shadowfang keep aren't totally broken, we can't even use rage consuming abilities in
> bear form when silenced :-(

You cant use any Rage consuming ability which is considered to be a
Shout or Roar, like Taunt or the Druid-equivalent to it, Challenging
Roar and DemoShout for example. But you can use abilites like Swipe or
Heroic Strike which seem to be considered silent abilities.

Cheers :)

Scotter left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Today I got my butt kicked by a higher level priest over and over and a big
> part of it was the priest using "silence" on me. Are there any potions or
> magic items that help protect against silence?

The best use of a priest's silence is when the enemy is low on health
and will try to get off a heal. The telltale sign are those greenish
glows accompanied by your nature based healing spells. When the priest
see's those it's then he's diving for his silence button.

Use your instant heals and the faster heals - this will give the priest
less time to use silence on you. Also keep yourself well healed - above
70% if possible - this will prevent the problem of the silence when you
are low on HP leaving the priest free to mind flay or mind blast you to
death.

I don't know if cat form is still nerfed but in theory the cat's fast
attack speed should cause the priest a great degree if interruption. If
the priest is PvP specced then they will be able to fear again very
soon.

What you need to do is to survive and outlast the priest. Assuming a
shadow spec priest remember they have no ability to heal themselves
apart from vampiric embrace. In order to self heal they will have to
drop the shadowform since with shadowform they are not allowed to use
holy based spells.

The critical weakness of a priest is when they run out of mana. No more
fear/shield and a very soft target for melee damage.
--
Stoneskin

My personal army of Sash Crackers on Sunstrider are...

Necrofear - lvl 57 Undead Priest
Relinquished - lvl 20 Undead Warlock
Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage
Jigen - lvl 12 Orc Rogue
Wartorn - lvl 11 Tauren Warrior
Nightmane - lvl 2 Tauren Druid

"Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> Hey -
>
> Today I got my butt kicked by a higher level priest over and over and a
big
> part of it was the priest using "silence" on me. Are there any potions or
> magic items that help protect against silence?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Munk
> 53 druid

Have an engineer make you one of these:
http://www.thottbot.com/?i=26418

Only problem is it will run you 60g+ in matrerials...

McDLT wrote:
> Have an engineer make you one of these:
> http://www.thottbot.com/?i=26418
>
> Only problem is it will run you 60g+ in matrerials...

Damn, that's the most useless item I've ever seen! Incredibly expensive
materials, it takes your necklace slot, and gives.. 7% resistance to
silence??

If it gave total immunity to silence I still don't think it would be
very popular, but 7% is a joke.

Cheers!
David...

"David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote in message
> McDLT wrote:
> > Have an engineer make you one of these:
> > http://www.thottbot.com/?i=26418
> >
> > Only problem is it will run you 60g+ in matrerials...
>
> Damn, that's the most useless item I've ever seen! Incredibly expensive
> materials, it takes your necklace slot, and gives.. 7% resistance to
> silence??
>
> If it gave total immunity to silence I still don't think it would be
> very popular, but 7% is a joke.
>
> Cheers!
> David...

If you think that's bad you should check out 'arcane bombs'. It takes 1
arcanite bar plus other mats to make 3 bombs. So you are looking at a one
time use bomb worth over 10g. You should feel very honored if someone
actually uses one of these on you in pvp...

> Today I got my butt kicked by a higher level priest over and over
> and a big part of it was the priest using "silence" on me. Are
> there any potions or magic items that help protect against silence?

Sure. Your hearth stone. :-D

It uses the same graphic as your big heal and it can't be silenced.
Supposedly, the trick is to hit your hearth stone, wait for them to
couterspell, silence or whatever, interrupt the casting and then cast
your big heal.

That said, you do have a heal in bear form that can't be silenced,
Regeneration. Drop to bear, hit Enrage and Regeneration...or stun them,
pop up and bandage if you don't have any DoTs on you.

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (34) on Stormrage [PvE]

> The best use of a priest's silence is when the enemy is low on
> health and will try to get off a heal. The telltale sign are those
> greenish glows accompanied by your nature based healing spells.
> When the priest see's those it's then he's diving for his silence
> button.

Obviously, Nature's Swiftness makes the big heal instant cast, so he
never has time. If that's already burned, the hearth stone trick
usually works.

Regards,
Noal

--

McDLT wrote:
> "David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote in message
>>If it gave total immunity to silence I still don't think it would be
>>very popular, but 7% is a joke.
>
> If you think that's bad you should check out 'arcane bombs'. It takes 1
> arcanite bar plus other mats to make 3 bombs. So you are looking at a one
> time use bomb worth over 10g. You should feel very honored if someone
> actually uses one of these on you in pvp...

Heh, an Engineer in my guild got the plans for Dark Iron Bombs one time
when we were in BRD.

http://www.thottbot.com/?i=19059

We LOL'ed.

Cheers!