Sign in with
Your question

Airtighten the case or not ?

Last response: in Systems
July 20, 2012 12:24:17 PM

I'm getting an Antec P280 case and currently own a P182
I've also ordered 5x Arctic Cooling Fan 120mm (57 cfm @ 1350 rpm @ 18 dba) to replace the fans in the case...

The case has 2 fanducts in front, 2 in top and 1 in rear

For this system i was wondering about doing something extra to manage cooling and ensure that airflow is done perfectly..

I've been wondering about closing all the non-fanduct holes, thereby airtighten the case to make sure that airflow is going from the filtered front to the back/top instead of random flow caused by all the holes everywhere.

I can't find any ressources talking about this - controlled airflow
so i ask you: What do you think ?

ps:
the hardware im installing:
- Intel I7 3770k - not going to OC much
- Radeon 7970 - which is to be OC'ed to 1Ghz

More about : airtighten case

a b B Homebuilt system
July 20, 2012 12:44:15 PM

i say don't mess with your case so much.just buy a fan controller so that you can change the speed of fans as you want.P280 is a great case,good luck ;) 
July 20, 2012 12:50:57 PM

The Asus P8Z77 Deluxe motherboard im getting will have plenty of fan controlling... including automatic profiling for various scenarios :) 

no need to manually do anything i hope !
Related resources
July 20, 2012 12:55:31 PM

Montago, I've had the same idea. If you end up doing it, I'd be interested in hearing your results. Perhaps testing temps before and after? You could temporarily cover the holes and seams with cardboard and electrical tape to see how well it would work before making it permanent. I might actually do that too.
July 20, 2012 12:59:30 PM

leo2kp said:
Montago, I've had the same idea. If you end up doing it, I'd be interested in hearing your results. Perhaps testing temps before and after? You could temporarily cover the holes and seams with cardboard and electrical tape to see how well it would work before making it permanent. I might actually do that too.

will report back after doing that.

The whole idea behind it is better and more controlled airflow, i suppose it makes sense... Some other inputs i've gotten about the idea suggested more noise and more heat.

the noise is hard to test since i don't have a sound-meter - but the temp is easy.
August 11, 2012 9:02:54 AM

leo2kp said:

So now i've done it... i air tightened my P280 :) 
I've tightened:
- The vertical holes in the back left and right side
- every unused slot (the removeable metal thing)
- around the DVD drive (lots of spaces between the slots)
- the holes from the fan-switches

Idle noise hasn't gone up, at least i don't notice a change.
The front intake does make more noise when fans are running 30-50% which is expected since all air are going in this way.

Air draft is now MUCH STRONGER in the front intake, which is perfect since 'all' dust will now be caught.

CPU temperature is 1-2 C° lower then now 40 vs 38 (but im not sure if thats true, since the ambient temperature is lower today then yesterday...) - At least it hasn't gone up !

Cooling is now more efficient, I've noticed that the machine cools much faster after exiting a game.

My ASUS DirectCU Radeon 7970 (3GB) now gets around 60C instead of 65C when gaming.

** disclaimer **
All my observations should be taken as subjective rather then objective, since i haven't done the appropriate measuring of temperatures before and after, I'm also adjusting fan speeds rather often in FanXpert2 (which is a huge variable)
!