jktzweiss

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2001
HI FOLKS.. NEED SOME HELP WITH ADDING SECOND HDD TO MY SYSTEM. I JUST RECENTLY PURCHASED AN ABIT KT7A RAID MOBO W/ A AMD 1.2 GHZ 266FSB. I CURRENTLY HAVE A IBM 30 gig DESKSTAR AS MY MASTER DRIVE. I ALSO HAVE A 20 gig MAXTOR THATS LAYING AROUND IN GREAT CONDITION THAT I'D LIKE TO PUT TO USE. WHATS THE PROPER WAY TO ADD THIS 2ND DRIVE? THIS MAXTOR DRIVE ALREADY HAS WIN98SE LOADED.. SO WHEN I INSTALL THE DRIVE ON THE RAID IDE CONTROLLER( NOT GOING TO ENABLE RAID IN BIOS)SHOULD WINDOWS ASSIGN THE NEXT DRIVE LETTER AUTOMATICALLY? BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO ACCIDENTALLY REFORMAT MY CURRENT C: DRIVE. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE!!!!!

Majeskty

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You will need to make sure the Bio see's the drive correctly then you will need to delete the partitions on the drive using fdisk. Then you will make that drive an extended logical drive and then assign how to break it down should you like more than one partition. After this the Bio's will assign letters(beware that other devices ,cd-rom, zip, jaz, could have their letters moved). Then you will need to format each of those partitions. Which since this is an add on drive you can do from Windows itself from MY Computer or you can do it from DOS your choice. You should see the other letters assigned to the partitions then click right-click chose format.

You know its amazing.

I read the CAPS POST and I read the other post.
I've read both about three times and I still can't get my brain to make the first one quieter. Weird!

BYE! BYE!

<b>
If the best things in life are free, why do I keep upgrading my system? :smile:
</b>

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
I remember that some of old IBM/360 mainframes, PDP-11 or Wang2000 from 60-70ths had displays (40x25, 80x25), keyboards, OS's and typing/editing software that supported only capital letters.

Probably JKTZWEISS is having a trouble with such old hardware/software problem and waiting for somebody who knows and can help.

If I were able to concentrate while reading that capitalized writing I would help.

jktzweiss

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2001
Not Directed to you FATBURGER, but now that i have my new keyboard, i can finally reply to these very informative posts i received regarding my question about adding a second HDD(oops CAPS Again). I really DID enjoy coming to this site because it was for the most part very INFORMATIVE...Damn there they are again! Hell if i wanted this type of greif i'd go downstairs and set with my WIFE. Thanks Again for your great input..& i guess free advice does come with a pricetag?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Alright then...I'm getting compared to somebody's wife. This is an all-time low. Does anybody else think I was being rude, because I complained about somebody yelling? I didn't think so, but whatever...

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

YOU WERE RUDE, OUT OF ORDER AND IF YOU TRIED THAT [ PEEP ] WITH ME I'D PUT YOU ON THE LIST!

Just kidding.

<b><font color=blue>Change the</font color=blue><font color=red> sig of</font color=red><font color=green> the week!</font color=green> :tongue: </b>

madmike

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
JKTZWEISS: What they're trying to tell you is that in messages online (IRC, email, whatever) all caps means you're shouting. Not to mention the !!!!! Probably just best to apologize, and I'm sure these folks will be happy to help you out.

To answer your question: As long as the BIOS sees the new HDD, Windows should assign it drive letter D: - or the next one above the highest current HDD letter. That means your removeables like CD and DVD will move up one letter. (This might cause problems with some programs.) If the drive is already formatted, all you have to do is start using it for storage. Just delete the stuff you've got on it or quick format it in Explorer.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
"...: As long as the BIOS sees the new HDD, Windows should assign it drive letter D: - or the next one above the highest current HDD letter. That means your removeables like CD and DVD will move up one letter. (This might cause problems with some programs.)..."

Yeah, exactly.
I have a habit to change drive letters during first Windows install.
I assign R: for CD-ROM, W: for CD-RW.

It's not a tip, nobody has to follow that. But my co-workers and friends found that convinient.
Because no mess with drive letters in case adding new harddrives, network mapped drives, buckup devices.
Very often a program asks for a CD during update, or opening a file that needs connvertion. And it also goes smoothly without changing drive letters on prompt, doesn't matter that drives were added after first program install.
So, all our corporate networked computers (with different numbers of drives/devices) have the same letters assigned for common mapped drives, and for similar CD, disk and tape backup devices.

jktzweiss

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2001
thanks Madmike i really enjoy this sight, and lesson learned, would you please see my other post regarding a Pci Mass Storage controller. Thanks to all...Joe

Latest posts