Please help me link 2 modems via wireless

sir_shanahan

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Hello everyone, I'm very new at networking so please, any help is much appreciated.

The problem: On our property there are two buildings, a house at the top of the hill and a barn at the bottom of the hill. The hill is roughly 30m high and too steep to allow internet access in the barn via the wireless modem in the house. We are also not allowed to drill into the property, so ethernet is out of the question.

Desired solution: Use an old modem to connect to the modem in the house and allow internet access to the barn. (from what I understand this is called a wireless bridge or repeater, but I have no idea how to hook such a network up)

What I have: the wireless network in the house is provided by BT and has dual networks delivered by a "BT 2700 HGV" modem. I also have a D-Link "DSL-2640R" spare and 100m of Cat5 cable.

As I mentioned, I am unable to penetrate the house so I need a way to connect the D-link modem to the BT modem wirelessly. The ethernet cable can then run to the barn if that makes things any easier.

Both modems support bridge modes but I have not idea how to set it up, or even if my terminology is correct. If not then please offer corrections or alternative solutions as this is becoming a real problem. Thanks very much for your time.

the bridge mode on those two modem/routers are to bridge the modem to the network ports; therefore, disable the router and making it work as a modem only. It will not help you to set the router into bridge mode.

you will have to get a new N-router that can support DD-WRT firmware. like a ASUS RT-N12, RT-N16, Linksys E2000, E3000, D-Link 825, or Netgear 3500, 3700

here is a website that will help you find one that can be converted. just enter the model number of a router that you would like to buy

also if you buy a N-router, you could first try to us it as an AP (Access Point) and test if it can reach all the way to the barn. Place the router at a window facing the barn.

Both of the modems you listed have only G-wireless capability and therefore do not reach the barn.

sir_shanahan

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Damnation...

Well thanks very much for your reply I will do my best with what you have said and let you know how I get on, smiley face...

sir_shanahan

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
I have tried to edit that post about 6 times and it keeps deleting what I write so I apologise that this is a little blunt...

I have 3 quick questions about the reply above, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me understand a little better...

1) There is no way that I can connect the two routers I have wirelessly?

2)will I need two N type routers in order to link them wirelessly or will I be able to use one of the ones I have already (listed above).

3)My problem in reaching the barn comes more from line of sight than from distance. From what I understand of radiowaves a higher signal output will have little effect as the barn will be well below line of sight. Is that correct?

sir_shanahan

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Well that is a pain... I was hoping for a cheap and easy way to set up an office down in the barn, now it looks as if getting a 2nd phoneline connected will be cheaper and simpler...

Thanks very much for your help, I spent hours last night looking at various wireless connection options and while there were many, I couldn't understand what means what and therefor what is possible for me. Much appreciated...