Hdmi does not display properly

i7470

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
hi

i recently switched from nvidia xfx 9600gt igb ddr3 to asus radeon hd 7770 direct cu igb ddr5. my monitor is LG2260V full hd monitor and motherboard asus M3A78-EM.

after switching the cards i connected dual link dvi cable and installed all the drivers and the monitor started to display properly.

today used hdmi cable to connect the monitor and when the windows loaded the desktop was displayed at the center with black strips on all the four sides(around the border). there is about an inch on the left and right sides and half an inch around top and bottom of the windows desktop. and the entire desktop, texts and say everything looks fussy.

i checked the resolution in the catalyst centre and the windows properties, both shows 1080p@60hz.

when i checked the monitor on device manager, initially it displayed that generic pnp monitor. then i downloaded the monitor driver from the lg website and installed it. still the problem remains.

when i move the mouse pointer it stops at the border of my desktop and cannot enter the blacked area.

my monitor has dvi, vga and hdmi outputs and the hd7770 has 2 dvi, 2dp, 1 hdmi ports.

i used to connect the monitor(on the hdmi port) to my previous card, ie 9600gt(which has 1 dvi and 1vga outputs only) using a dvi to hdmi adapter supplied along with the card and was displaying just fine.

please advise.

i7470

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
thanks for the reply. i will do and get back to you. in mean time,why its happening like that when connecting via hdmi. dvi seems to have no problem, no need to do any scaling or anything. when i installed the drivers it displayed just fine via dvi. my previous card also didnt had any problem when connected via a dvi to hdmi adapter.

randomkid

Distinguished
I have the same problem. What I do is I set the monitor ( in my case an LG TV ) to ZOOM or "Justified". This usually works for me. I'm not sure if the same applies to your monitor but being an LG, it may have the same "kinks".

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I think it has something to do with the AMD drivers, I have a lcd tv I connect via hdmi to a computer with an Nvidia card and I don't have to adjust any settings, but when I connect it to an AMD card I have to make adjustments. It only takes a few seconds to adjust though if that is the problem.

i7470

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

hi i tried to adjust with scaling settings but no use. it fills the screen somewhat but the display quality is extremely poor. icons are vague and texts are blurry. its pathetic that amd has this problem despite being the leader in eyefinity and vision engine kind of stuffs. my nvidia had no problem, it displayed fine with an adapter and amd's direct hdmi is pathetic. i have no idea what to do.

i7470

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

hi, as im using monitor only(not tv ready) it does not have the zoom or justified options. i tried with amd software scaling. its somewhats fills the screen but display is still blurry.

i7470

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

hi thanks,

but the options are looking exactly the same in my pc when connected via hdmi. dvi-d doesnt have a problem with the same settings, its displays with awesome clarity and richness. when i altered scaling options it somewhats fills the screen but the image quality is that of my old vga(non hd) monitor only. hdmi is a high definition interface with more or equal image quality as compared to dvi-d isnt it. still the issue remains. its really nice that you explained with the sceenshots.

It's a common issues known with the HDMI cables to have some black inches boards, the scaling option fixing it with the wanted HD clarity, I don't know why you still have a fuzzy image. Maybe you should try a different HDMI cable if this is not the one included with the monitor or graphics card.

Also, DVI and HDMI are the same, with the exception that HDMI carries HD sound through one cable, if you don't need the sound you might want to use the DVI cable.

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Have you tried adjusting the pixel settings, in catalyst control center under pixel format? If this is on the wrong setting everything will be blurry and of poor quality.

suh25

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
hi
even I have the same problem. I have read in many forums that overscale or underscale it will become all right, but the problem is at 1080 my slider in the catalyst control centre has greyed out and I can't do anything . I'm using ati 7770 and Samsung 22 inch full hd. please help me.