I have a amd fx 8120 n i am thinking in getting a fx 8350 since i could use it on my motherboard with new Bios update any suggestion if i should or should not now i am running my fx 8120 right now at 4.2ghz just on multiplier raise n cpu voltage at 1.36 n LLC on high here are my specs:
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX AM3+ Motherboard, AMD FX-8120 X8 3100MHZ 16MB 125W AM3+, Sony Optiarc 24X DVDRW SATA OEM, WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-6G, Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz 2x4, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Full Tower Gaming Case, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0, Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler for i5, i7, 775 and AMD, COOLMAX ZP-750B APFC/V2.3/EPS12V/V2.92 80+ BRONZE
To answer your question though, theres probably about a 25-30% improvement between the 2. If your willing to pay the 200$ for it then go ahead. What do you do mostly? Do you game or more of video editing etc?
There is only about a 5% to 15% increase in performance depending on the app.
I have FX-6100 on the same board running at 4.75 Ghz.
Unless you want to spend the money I would wait and see what the next chip does when it comes out.
I have read that it might be 45% faster than the latest FX series that is out now.
Although a cranked up FX-8350 is very appetizing.
I have a friend that just built one on a UD5 board but he hasn't got it overclocked yet.
My FX-6100 is running an par with and just a little above the 8150 in the benchmarks.
And better than a i5-2500k with a XfX 6870 DD at 940MHZ.
It is like in the top 17% of all of the scores posted when I had it at a semi Stable 4.95Ghz.
It was good there for a while and then it would error once in a while so I backed it done to be 100% stable constantly for 24/7.
I have also had it up to the 5Ghz to 5.1Ghz range but two cores would drop out every once in a while.
I am running 1333 ram at about 1479 so better ram might help me there.
They are very solid CPU's, I love them!
If were to build another one I would then get a FX-8350 for sure !!!
It might be worth the while as I have read of one 100% stable at 5GHZ on a good water cooler.
I am using a Corsair H100 in mine when I got those clock speeds.
I don't think upgrading to a 8350 is worth the money. It offers about 15% performance increase over the 8120 so only upgrade if your current configuration is bottlenecking you.
I usually upgrade every two generations and it works out pretty well so you should wait for the next gen(steamroller) too.
I wouldn't do it no. Steamroller is confirmed (assuming nothing changes in the next year) to still retain the AM3+ socket, that may be a more justifiable upgrade. While the 8350 is better than the 8120/8150s, its not *that* much better to justify dropping another $200 into your system.
If you want a worthwhile upgrade, consider upping your 550 TI video card and getting a nice 1080p monitor. Thats what I did.