Clever tactics

The other week my group took on Princess in Maraudon. I'd previously
helped to kill her once and had wiped more than a half dozen
times. Not only is she ridiculously tough, way, way beyond her 51
Elite rating, but her Fear spells are nearly impossible to overcome
(tip: fight with your backs to, and as near as possible to, the walls
of the cave, with one brave soul luring Princess to the rest of the
group). Even with a 60 Druid on board, I knew success this time around
wasn't assured.

The 60 Druid suggested we try the following:

* I (a then-52 Paladin) would act as main tank versus Princess
(obviously, this also meant I'd be said brave soul). The 60 and
another Druid in the group would keep me alive as long as possible.
* When the 60 ran out of mana, he'd take over as main tank, with me
now free to use my healing as appropriate while still fighting like
crazy.

This worked like a charm. I know this may be Tactics 101 to some of
you, but for me it was enlightening, despite having done many instance
runs in my time and generally winning compliments for both my fighting
and healing.

What other smart strategies, whether your own or others', can you share?
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/> PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 1.8% us, 0.9% sy, 0.3% ni, 95.5% id, 1.4% wa, 0.1% hi, 0.0% si

"Yeechang Lee" <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:

> The other week my group took on Princess in Maraudon. I'd previously
> helped to kill her once and had wiped more than a half dozen
> times. Not only is she ridiculously tough, way, way beyond her 51
> Elite rating, but her Fear spells are nearly impossible to overcome
> (tip: fight with your backs to, and as near as possible to, the walls
> of the cave, with one brave soul luring Princess to the rest of the
> group). Even with a 60 Druid on board, I knew success this time around
> wasn't assured.
>
> The 60 Druid suggested we try the following:
>
> * I (a then-52 Paladin) would act as main tank versus Princess
> (obviously, this also meant I'd be said brave soul). The 60 and
> another Druid in the group would keep me alive as long as possible.
> * When the 60 ran out of mana, he'd take over as main tank, with me
> now free to use my healing as appropriate while still fighting like
> crazy.
>
> This worked like a charm. I know this may be Tactics 101 to some of
> you, but for me it was enlightening, despite having done many instance
> runs in my time and generally winning compliments for both my fighting
> and healing.
>
> What other smart strategies, whether your own or others', can you share?

We did that yesterday, first time for me:
- Me, 50 druid
- Sharkun, 52 or 53 druid
- Esa, 55 priest
- Grunter, 52 warrior

Piece of cake.

As this was the 1st time for me, I might be wrong, but one thing that
sure makes your life easier is: Bring 2 tanks. And druids are excellent
for that. Whenever she does her AoE, she'll loose focus on the tank and
attack whoever is standing next to her or is 2nd on her aggro list.
That's the crucial moment, because if she attacks a cloth or leather
wearer, he's toast.
When you have a druid, he can taunt her and tank her until the warrior
comes back. As long as you have a 3rd person to heal the backup tank,
there's nothing to worry about.

btw: Esa, me and Grunter made it to Landslide in our first attempt.
That was scary, 3 people against an AoE stunning boss with minions
is nothing that makes you feel comfortable. We had some quite hard
fights against 2 giants or 3 of this basilisks before which we all
survived, and they showed me again that it's always the same,
simple scheme.

As long as you:
1) keep the mobs away from the healer
2) keep the mobs on the tank
3) keep the healer out of fear/stun/silence range
4) keep all damage dealers on one target (which is not too hard,
when there's only one)
you will survive. It's as simple as that. Even for boss fights
like the one against the princess, it's exactly the same easy
scheme. The only thing that makes her hard to beat is that you
have to work your ass of for achieving 1) and 2).

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (14) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

Yeechang Lee wrote:

> The other week my group took on Princess in Maraudon. I'd previously
> helped to kill her once and had wiped more than a half dozen
> times. Not only is she ridiculously tough, way, way beyond her 51
> Elite rating, but her Fear spells are nearly impossible to overcome
> (tip: fight with your backs to, and as near as possible to, the walls
> of the cave, with one brave soul luring Princess to the rest of the
> group). Even with a 60 Druid on board, I knew success this time around
> wasn't assured.
>
> The 60 Druid suggested we try the following:
>
> * I (a then-52 Paladin) would act as main tank versus Princess
> (obviously, this also meant I'd be said brave soul). The 60 and
> another Druid in the group would keep me alive as long as possible.
> * When the 60 ran out of mana, he'd take over as main tank, with me
> now free to use my healing as appropriate while still fighting like
> crazy.
>
> This worked like a charm. I know this may be Tactics 101 to some of
> you, but for me it was enlightening, despite having done many instance
> runs in my time and generally winning compliments for both my fighting
> and healing.
>
> What other smart strategies, whether your own or others', can you share?

We did the Princess and the big croc last night with a 4-men group.

Christian Stauffer (Wildcard, feral/resto druid 50), another druid
(resto/?? 52), a fellow guildie (Grunter, warrior 53) and me (Esa, Holy
Priest 55).

It was, might I say, a cakewalk. First Princess run for Chris and his
500 latency, first run for the other druid also and them druids took
turns healing and off-tanking, the warrior did most of the tanking, and
I did most of the damaging part with smite and shadow word: pain
(fading, dispelling fear on the warrior, and shielding/flash healing
others when required). There wasn't even a close call.

We had first wiped on the Behemoth boss (the one that summons adds) but
mostly because we were only three at that time (the other druid wasn't
here yet), and to quote Christian: "we were unlucky, that's all".

Having 3 top-notch healers and 3 tanks in a 4-men group is good! Have
everyone keep an eye on damage dealt, mana remaining on the healer, life
remaining on the tank, mana remaining on the damager, and take over the
role when appropriate.

Now that you mention the walls behind the cavern, I'd say it would have
helped. I was often out of dispel range on the warrior, so sometimes one
of the druids had to shapeshift to tank while I hurried to Grunter for
the fear dispelling business.

Now that I think about it, I wasn't that useful, and those three men
could have took her down on their own ;)

/love

"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yeechang Lee wrote:

Did a 4 man of all 50s agains the princess. We had a 5th lvl 56 rogue but
10min in he had to leave, so we said might as well try. It was a very tough
fight. What kepts us from wiping was somehow we managed to pull the
princess off each person at the right moment. I(Shaman) did mostly dmg work
and threw some last second heals, funny thing is I managed to heal myself
via bandaging through the whole fight. We also all had food buffs which
helped. Gonna 4 man it again tomorrow each of us being 1 or 2 lvls higher,
which should make it easier :)

"Yeechang Lee" <ylee@pobox.com> wrote in message
> The other week my group took on Princess in Maraudon. I'd previously
> helped to kill her once and had wiped more than a half dozen
> times. Not only is she ridiculously tough, way, way beyond her 51
> Elite rating, but her Fear spells are nearly impossible to overcome
> (tip: fight with your backs to, and as near as possible to, the walls
> of the cave, with one brave soul luring Princess to the rest of the
> group). Even with a 60 Druid on board, I knew success this time around
> wasn't assured.
>
> The 60 Druid suggested we try the following:
>
> * I (a then-52 Paladin) would act as main tank versus Princess
> (obviously, this also meant I'd be said brave soul). The 60 and
> another Druid in the group would keep me alive as long as possible.
> * When the 60 ran out of mana, he'd take over as main tank, with me
> now free to use my healing as appropriate while still fighting like
> crazy.
>
> This worked like a charm. I know this may be Tactics 101 to some of
> you, but for me it was enlightening, despite having done many instance
> runs in my time and generally winning compliments for both my fighting
> and healing.
>
> What other smart strategies, whether your own or others', can you share?
> --

I always find princess very easy so long as people dont draw agro from the
main tank.
Take it slow, let the MT build some agro first.

If youre a healer and someone keps drawing agro, just let them die. If you
keep healing them then you will eventually draw agro yourself and then its a
wipe.

When the main tank is feared, the ranged dps should *stop attacking*.

To repeat... *keep her agro on the MT and its a piece of cake*

"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

> We had first wiped on the Behemoth boss (the one that summons adds) but
> mostly because we were only three at that time (the other druid wasn't
> here yet), and to quote Christian: "we were unlucky, that's all".

Hehe, I was a bit enthusiastic yesterday :eek:) I'm quite sure we could've
taken him down, but we would have been smashed by his minions after this.
Fact is, in our first attempt, both my innervate and my mana potions were
on a cooldown, I had no idea about this boss (minions, AoE stun), and we
still took him down to about 40%. I had some bad luck when we switched
roles. You aggroed lots of his minions and I came over to use my AoE
taunt to get them of you. In the same moment I had a lag, and you casted
fear. When my lag was gone, I thought my AoE taunt has been used
(useless, because they run out of my taunt range when you feared them)
and realised too late it hasn't, so you caught an unnessecary amount of
damage.

Chris... now imagine how easy that would have been with Sharkun and
Tartalin :eek:)

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (14) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:29:56 +0200, "Christian Stauffer"
<wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:

>"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We had first wiped on the Behemoth boss (the one that summons adds) but
>> mostly because we were only three at that time (the other druid wasn't
>> here yet), and to quote Christian: "we were unlucky, that's all".
>
>Hehe, I was a bit enthusiastic yesterday :eek:) I'm quite sure we could've
>taken him down, but we would have been smashed by his minions after this.

No, you wouldn't...
Fun fact: When Landslide dies so does all of his summoned minions. :)

The Lich in Razorfen Downs works in the same way.
I once had a "OMG? Yes!!! :D" experience there: All but one in the
party dead, with the warrior soon to follow because of 5-7 minions.
With what would have been his last strike (or close to it) the warrior
strikes the Lich dead = all minions go *poof* and the shaman is free
to self-res and bring back the party. Now that was a close one :p

That, btw, was the day I learned that the Lich's minions work like
this...

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

"Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:29:56 +0200, "Christian Stauffer"
> <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
>>Hehe, I was a bit enthusiastic yesterday :eek:) I'm quite sure we could've
>>taken him down, but we would have been smashed by his minions after this.
>
> No, you wouldn't...
> Fun fact: When Landslide dies so does all of his summoned minions. :)
>
> The Lich in Razorfen Downs works in the same way.
> I once had a "OMG? Yes!!! :D" experience there: All but one in the
> party dead, with the warrior soon to follow because of 5-7 minions.
> With what would have been his last strike (or close to it) the warrior
> strikes the Lich dead = all minions go *poof* and the shaman is free
> to self-res and bring back the party.

Now as you mentioned it, I can't remember a boss whose minions didn't
disappear after he fell. Thanks for pointing out.

EEEEESSSAAAAAA! Freeze your level, we're gonna kick this guys butt!

> Now that was a close one :p

Those are always the best fights :)

> That, btw, was the day I learned that the Lich's minions work like
> this...

I've been to RFD the 1st time yesterday night (a friend wanted the
dagger). Nice looking boss :)

Chris

--

Christian Stauffer wrote:

> EEEEESSSAAAAAA! Freeze your level, we're gonna kick this guys butt!

I've got a nice level autofreeze nowadays: it's called being a level 55
priest with only quests in a land where level 60 rogues learned at last
that ambush-vanish-ambush-backstab-trinket is more efficient than
stunlock when I'm drinking.

Can't quest solo at peak hours, can't find instance groups either
because everyone is either in warsong gulch, alterac valley or molten
core (the only group I've found yesterday was... another holy priest)

....but more importantly I'll have serious RL business to attend to in
the next two weeks.