Sign in with
Your question

What to look for when buying cpu on Craigslist(to make sure it works)

Last response: in CPUs
December 1, 2012 4:27:50 AM

im buying an i5-3570k off CL tomorrow and want to know what to look for to make sure the cpu works because it will be new in box, but i dont believe they are seal wrapped. im getting it for a really low price, only 120$, but i spoke with the seller and they said its for electricity bills and they dont have the receipt. does this seem illegitimate? we will be meeting in a public area, so not at their place.
a c 78 à CPUs
December 1, 2012 4:37:57 AM

If the CPU works when you fire it up.. it should be fine. But, look for the obvious signs of damage, scratches, dents, etc.

As far as not having a receipt, yes theres a chance you're buying stolen property, or just someone who isn't frugal enough to keep receipts for major purchases.

As far as it not functioning, if you buy a bad chip, the only real recourse you have if they won't accept a return for a refund is small claims court. Honestly, I wouldn't buy something like that from CL, for that reason.. But, do it at your own risk.
m
l
December 1, 2012 5:34:29 AM

If the box isn't still sealed then you're playing Russian Roulette Buddy.

A lot of the time, people OC it to hell and then sell it, or they might be dumbasses and have really bad cooling. You can't look at the condition of the transistors/processing units, you can only look at the outside.

If you're buying an intel make sure the stock fan is included, if not the warranty won't transfer to you.
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2012 5:40:32 AM

"its for electricity bills" - Meaning they don't want it because it raises electricity bills? That's BS. Computers are not electricity hungry, motherboards have small circuits, not huge, and a few small fans, isn't going to raise electricity bills.... The electricity consumption isn't a lot for a PC.... I have a gaming PC with all this LCD fan and cathode crap and my electricity bill for the house isn't high at all...... 750w psu. This deal might be bad. I'd use ebay, the sellers are more serious there at least. Plus some ebay sellers have a return date of like 1-2 weeks as well...
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
December 1, 2012 11:09:53 AM

mazchazo said:
"its for electricity bills" - Meaning they don't want it because it raises electricity bills? That's BS. Computers are not electricity hungry, motherboards have small circuits, not huge, and a few small fans, isn't going to raise electricity bills.... The electricity consumption isn't a lot for a PC.... I have a gaming PC with all this LCD fan and cathode crap and my electricity bill for the house isn't high at all...... 750w psu. This deal might be bad. I'd use ebay, the sellers are more serious there at least. Plus some ebay sellers have a return date of like 1-2 weeks as well...

I'm guessing he meant that they meant, they didn't plan very well, bought parts to build a computer when they really didn't have that kind of money to spare, and then they found out that they really needed the money or their electricity was going to be shut off. But who knows. Thats what I assumed anyway. Then again, maybe the guy had a job, bought the computer, then got laid off and has no choice but to sell it. But I've just known too many people like the first example, so theres my bias.
m
l
!