Help a Girl out #3.Please help me with this build!

Elizabeth_B

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
Hi guys! This is the system we finally purchased and are ready to build this weekend. I am a bit rusty and have not assembled a computer in 3 years so I could really use some advice especially with the placement of the cooler on the CPU. The Coolermaster site indicates this Hyper plus will fit the LGA 1155 but the video I watched on Newegg did not show the correct mounting position on the universal brackets for the LGA 1155??

Could anyone direct me to a solid step by step tutorial for the correct order for assembling a new build and for the correct booting order when loading the new OS? Any links or web site article suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hints and potential mistakes to not make would also be appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($145.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.65 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Razer Anansi Wired Gaming Keyboard ($86.86 @ eCost)
Mouse: Razer RZ01-00280500-R3M1 Wired Laser Mouse ($75.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1315.37
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-20 09:40 EDT-0400)

Solution
A number of people have found connecting the SSD and disc drive only for the OS install is the way to go. After the OS is in you can attach the data cables for the 1t drive. You may need to go administrative tools; disc management to initialize it and give a drive letter.

osamabinrobot

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
i second the 2500k
when assembling mine i watched a couple of the videos and those+ the proper positions are marked on the bracket got me through it
other than that it looks like your system is going to rip! good luck!

Elizabeth_B

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008

No actually, we are not overclocking in this system just want to make sure all temps stay nice and cool. Heard this cooler dropped temps significantly on the Ivy Bridge CPU's.

oxiide

Distinguished
Stick with the i5-3450 if you know you don't want to overclock at all, but in that case you don't need a big, heavy Hyper 212+. Get the Hyper TX3 or similar instead. Its cheaper than the 212+, and still vastly more effective and quieter than the Intel stock cooler.

If you want to overclock, I'd recommend the i5-3570K. The 2500K still has its place if you're going to go for an extreme overclock, since it has better thermal properties. But there's no point in getting a slightly slower chip with fewer features for more modest overclocks.

dansgas1000

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Ok. Then just stick with the stock cooler or get a CoolerMaster TX3 instead. i5 3450 will be fine but sandy bridge runs much cooler but ivy is a little faster.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
To answer some of your other questions: Set the cd/disc drive as first boot device and the M4 as second in the bios. I do not know what you are doing with the system but the 128g is not enough if you plan to store music, video, pics., etc. on the system. I would grab a 1T drive like a Samsung F3 for storage. You would then also be able to partition it to create a separate space for system back ups (Win7 has this option built in). When you go to install the OS, insert the disc and follow the prompts. After it is installed use your MB disc to install the board software and chip set drivers. Then go to windows update and run it over and over until there are no more recommended or required updates. If you are using a separate firewall and AV program install it after the updates are done; same for your video driver. Once your system is 100% updated, drivers updated you can begin to install your programs. I would install the software and drivers for my devices first (printers, scanners, etc.) Remember to get Adobe Flash Player and your browser of choice if not using Explorer. You will need a separate email client if you were using outlook as it is not included in the OS. After each software install check to see if any updates are available for it. It is very useful to make a list of software and drivers you need (printers, scanners and cams need their own drivers and software).

Elizabeth_B

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
Yes, I do have a 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black drive as well. Already purchased this and have the Hyper 212 Plus so will end up using it anyway. I t should fit the case as i have seen this combo on some other threads. We haven't unboxed anything yet, though!

brien18

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
i dont know if you are a razer fan but they arent well built and overpriced, i advise logitech, mouse and keyboard are cheaper and lasted me 3+ years with no faults

moornix

Honorable
May 2, 2012
+1 g-unit1111

A Z77 fits better with an i5-3570k. You'll also get a $50 combo discount at Microcenter for buying those two together. If you prefer the i5-3450, consider getting an H77 or B75 instead.

g-unit1111

Titan

To me $150 on peripherals on any build is quite ridiculous and way overkill, you can spend like even $30 initially and then get the good ones later on. Put that money in the tower, not outside it.

Elizabeth_B

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
Thanks everyone but the keyboard and mouse were not my choice. This build is for a kid who wanted something fun so I had no say about it. I have Logitech, BTW! Also, this stuff has been purchased already and is going to be assembled tonight

:bounce:

Elizabeth_B

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008

We just completed the build and turned everything on but when we tried to set the boot priorities it on showed the Western Digital and the Asus DVD drive but I don't see the M4???? We set the Asus as first boot and WD as second. How should we proceed now?

If you guys will read, she already built it. Unless she wants to return it, there is no point in telling her to exchange.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
A number of people have found connecting the SSD and disc drive only for the OS install is the way to go. After the OS is in you can attach the data cables for the 1t drive. You may need to go administrative tools; disc management to initialize it and give a drive letter.

Solution