Closed

GTX 670 Red-Screen

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 27, 2012 9:02:07 AM

Hi,

I just bought a new gaming rig a few days ago:

CPU: Intel 3770k
Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3
GPU: Asus GTX670-DC2-2GD5 (the not-overclocked version)
MB: ASROCK Z77 Extreme4
PSU: Seasonic X-Series 660W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB
HDD1(System): OCZ Vertex 3
HDD2: 3000GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

Nothing of these parts is overclocked.
The PC is crashing around 5-10 times / day giving me a complete red screen without any error messages on it. This normaly happens while idle, never while gaming but yesterday even while watching an 1080p-youtube vid. The windows-log also do not give any clue since the only message is that the pc was unexpectedly restarted. I removed the graka and didn't have any red-screen since, only one regular blue-screen (but that was just one within 24 hours). The temperatures (graka / MB / CPU) were never any higher than 40°C/45°C/35°C when this happened.
Latest drivers have been installed and I'm curious whether there is anything I could do besides bringing it back. I already wrote to asus but I think this will take a while til I get an answer.

More about : gtx 670 red screen

May 29, 2012 4:10:05 PM

I think i have something similar happening.

I just installed the same GTX670 and everything was fine until i updated the drivers to the newest version.

I got suckered into updating the drivers for this new feature in Diablo 3. Which i can't really see working!

I tried to roll back the driver, but no love there. I will have to delete the drivers completely and reinstall from the CD in the box.

I'll let you know what happens. (you might want to give this a try too)

btw: Same as your system, nothing is overclocked

Schakal_No1 said:
Hi,

I just bought a new gaming rig a few days ago:

CPU: Intel 3770k
Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3
GPU: Asus GTX670-DC2-2GD5 (the not-overclocked version)
MB: ASROCK Z77 Extreme4
PSU: Seasonic X-Series 660W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB
HDD1(System): OCZ Vertex 3
HDD2: 3000GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

Nothing of these parts is overclocked.
The PC is crashing around 5-10 times / day giving me a complete red screen without any error messages on it. This normaly happens while idle, never while gaming but yesterday even while watching an 1080p-youtube vid. The windows-log also do not give any clue since the only message is that the pc was unexpectedly restarted. I removed the graka and didn't have any red-screen since, only one regular blue-screen (but that was just one within 24 hours). The temperatures (graka / MB / CPU) were never any higher than 40°C/45°C/35°C when this happened.
Latest drivers have been installed and I'm curious whether there is anything I could do besides bringing it back. I already wrote to asus but I think this will take a while til I get an answer.

a b Î Nvidia
May 29, 2012 4:15:38 PM

I'd start with checking the RAM. You can download the test tool from www.memtest.org
Related resources
May 29, 2012 4:36:00 PM

that was also my first guess, but memtest runs like charm - no errors at all.
I reduced my errors by upgrading my bios, but they still occur (about 1-2 times per day now)
a b Î Nvidia
May 29, 2012 4:37:56 PM

On the bluescreens, what does it say?
May 29, 2012 9:53:12 PM

bluescreens do not appear that often for me, I had only a single one which just said something about the system had to be shut down to prevent further damage and a location of the memory dump. Did not happen again. The red screens are the only anoying thing.
May 29, 2012 10:11:09 PM

For what it's worth, I have the same red screen symptom. I'd just bought an Asus factory overclocked 670 (the DirectCU version). The card is the only new component in my computer. I had performed a fresh install.

Strangely, I had not encountered the issue until I installed the bundled Asus GPU Tweak tool. I uninstalled it three days ago, and I've not seen the red screen since. I'd been searching for other stories, and it seems having GPU monitoring software loaded (such as Speedfan) is a recurring theme.

I haven't really run it for long enough to be confident that was the issue, but if you've installed any GPU monitoring/tweaking software (even if you're not using it to overclock) then try uninstalling for a while and see if the problem goes away. I don't see this as an acceptable 'fix' (who knows what else might not work with it) but it might let you enjoy the card more in the meantime.

Regardless, I hope we find out sooner or later if this is hardware- or software- related...
May 30, 2012 4:50:19 PM

I think i will try rhuakah's idea and uninstall the gpu tweak software.

I uninstalled the new drivers and installed the old ones from the install CD b/c i thought that was the issue.

The red screen still happens.

RAM is fine, since my other VC was working well before the new GTX 670

Therefore, I will give uninstalling the tweak software.

Another theory, of course, is that there is something else wrong and that GPU tweak just exasperates the issue.
May 31, 2012 6:13:53 AM

Hi,

I am having the same issue:

1. First, when I was playing around with Virtu Lucid MVP.
2. When watching youtube
3. When ASUS GPU Tweak hanged and MSI Kombuster running on the background.

My specs:

I5 3570K
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
ASUS GTX670 Direct CU II non-Top version
Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB LP (non-matching pair)
Windows 7 X64
Geforce 300.2x driver.

Any findings?
Mine only occured 3 times. Not frequent.
Prime95 on CPU and RAM without errors. No OC on RAM and CPU.
May 31, 2012 6:08:49 PM

I've been using my card (ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP) for ~8 hours and have had this happen once while randomly browsing the web.

The ASUS GPU Tweak was running at the time as well as the latest NVIDIA drivers from 5/22. My question is, if I uninstall this wont I lose the settings or will the video card keep the current fan speeds (which I modified) as well as the overclock? If so, has anyone tried using MSI afterburner to see if that's also causing the issue?

edit: Checked out a few other threads on various websites and it seems as if the Tweak part is fine, it's just GPU monitoring that's causing the issue. For now I have the monitor disabled, apparently it's an issue with the drivers (GPU-Z also causes red screen).
June 2, 2012 7:13:39 PM

Funny that I found this thread...I just installed my gtx 670 DC2T last night and installed and updated to the latest Nvidia and GPU Tweak stuff.

Now I'm getting red screen with no error messages too.

I'll try turning off GPU Tweak and Monitor for a while without uninstalling and see what happens.
June 2, 2012 9:52:38 PM

PTAN said:
Funny that I found this thread...I just installed my gtx 670 DC2T last night and installed and updated to the latest Nvidia and GPU Tweak stuff.

Now I'm getting red screen with no error messages too.

I'll try turning off GPU Tweak and Monitor for a while without uninstalling and see what happens.

GPU Tweak is fine, the red screen issue seems to be caused by GPU monitoring software (not just ASUS')
June 5, 2012 12:20:59 PM

Had similar issues. Installed the 670 (DC2TOP) and updated the drivers to the 22/05 ones. Installed ASUS GPU tweak. System started locking up (BSOD). Re-installed the previous drivers (from nvidia's website, not the disc). Shut down GPU Tweak. Ran MSI Afterburner instead. Launched MP3. Everything went well through the intro, settings, etc. Just didn't launch the game. Thought of doing it when I had some more time.

Today, I'm at work but my comp guy was at home OC'ing my CPU. He didn' complain once about the system locking up/ BSOD. Says to have stress tested the system regarding the CPU OC for about 30 mins. Said everything was stable. I'll be checking it out again when I get back home.

From whatever I've read up (mostly at overclock.net http://www.overclock.net/t/1259425/asus-670-directcu-ii...), it seems that there is a problem with the ASUS tweak software. People seem to be running fine with MSI AB or EVGA Precision-X. Head over to the linked forum...there's about 100 pages of user comments on that thread!!

There ARE people who have been RMA'ing the card because the factory OC was also causing the lock up. People have tried lowering the clock frequencies by 20-30 Mhz and that seems to have worked in a lot of cases.
June 7, 2012 6:43:15 AM

There is a reason you are supposed to throw your driver CD in the trash and install latest from nvidia.

When Fallout 3 came out I was using an Asus 9800 GT and like a lot of other people with Asus cards, I couldn't play it due to immediate CTD.
After a lot of trouble shooting and many driver versions, I determined that the GPU tweak included with the card was the culprit. After uninstalling drivers plus utilities then reinstalling latest from nvidia, it finally worked.

And oddly enough, when I posted the fix on the support forum several people were skeptical that a utility could be the cause.
a b Î Nvidia
June 7, 2012 6:50:13 AM

I got my gtx 670 direct cu II Top yesterday. The card was running fine until I installed the gpu tweak. The red screen came. So I hard restarted the compter, went on to safe mode and then removed gpu tweak and all of its components using advanced uninstaller. I have had no more issues ever since. Everything is running smooth as always. Just go to safe mode, delete everything related to gpu tweak and you'd be fine. I am overclocking the gpu using msi afterburner and it works fine.
a b Î Nvidia
June 7, 2012 6:52:04 AM

namelessonez said:
Had similar issues. Installed the 670 (DC2TOP) and updated the drivers to the 22/05 ones. Installed ASUS GPU tweak. System started locking up (BSOD). Re-installed the previous drivers (from nvidia's website, not the disc). Shut down GPU Tweak. Ran MSI Afterburner instead. Launched MP3. Everything went well through the intro, settings, etc. Just didn't launch the game. Thought of doing it when I had some more time.

Today, I'm at work but my comp guy was at home OC'ing my CPU. He didn' complain once about the system locking up/ BSOD. Says to have stress tested the system regarding the CPU OC for about 30 mins. Said everything was stable. I'll be checking it out again when I get back home.

From whatever I've read up (mostly at overclock.net http://www.overclock.net/t/1259425/asus-670-directcu-ii...), it seems that there is a problem with the ASUS tweak software. People seem to be running fine with MSI AB or EVGA Precision-X. Head over to the linked forum...there's about 100 pages of user comments on that thread!!

There ARE people who have been RMA'ing the card because the factory OC was also causing the lock up. People have tried lowering the clock frequencies by 20-30 Mhz and that seems to have worked in a lot of cases.

our systems are very similar. Hows your gtx 670 performing?
June 7, 2012 6:52:36 AM

Hi Shamsmu,

Is your top card having troubles at the stock clocks? Crashing or freezes? I'm interested in getting one.
a b Î Nvidia
June 7, 2012 7:51:40 AM

erunion said:
Hi Shamsmu,

Is your top card having troubles at the stock clocks? Crashing or freezes? I'm interested in getting one.

nope there are no troubles whatsoever, just make sure you never install asus gpu tweak and you'd be fine. use msi afterburner to overclock.
June 7, 2012 9:55:12 AM

shamsmu said:
our systems are very similar. Hows your gtx 670 performing?

Its performing GREAT so far, touchwood!! Installed the latest drivers and not running Asus GPU Tweak. Gave Max Payne 3 a good 90 minutes run and everything was silky smooth! FPS averaging 100+ during gameplay (highest settings + 4xMSAA) but goes down drastically in cutscenes, which I found to be very wierd! Temp hasn't crossed 76 yet, which is with ambient temps at around 41 deg celcius.

So far, I'm convinced that it was GPU Tweak which was causing the problem. Am using MSI AB as of now. Only issue is I can't monitor my PCB temps anymore while in game, which I could earlier (before OC'ing the CPU/ installing the 670).

How's it fairing for you?
a b Î Nvidia
June 7, 2012 10:42:06 AM

namelessonez said:
Its performing GREAT so far, touchwood!! Installed the latest drivers and not running Asus GPU Tweak. Gave Max Payne 3 a good 90 minutes run and everything was silky smooth! FPS averaging 100+ during gameplay (highest settings + 4xMSAA) but goes down drastically in cutscenes, which I found to be very wierd! Temp hasn't crossed 76 yet, which is with ambient temps at around 41 deg celcius.

So far, I'm convinced that it was GPU Tweak which was causing the problem. Am using MSI AB as of now. Only issue is I can't monitor my PCB temps anymore while in game, which I could earlier (before OC'ing the CPU/ installing the 670).

How's it fairing for you?

its running pretty good. I switched from a gtx 580 so I was a bit sceptical about upgrading being worthwhile. But I am getting about 20-30 more fps than my gtx 580. I am getting about 70fps average in battlefield 3 multiplayer with 55minimum and 180maximum. And its not just about the fps, all games(bf3, crysis2, metro2033) run a lot smoother with this gpu. My friends dual gtx 480 set up gets more fps but still somehow the gameplay feels a lot smoother on my gtx670. Overall, the card is very cool max temp 74 even after overclocking and I barely hear the fan even when its running at 100%
!