600-700 Gaming PC New Build Double Check

Hello, I have a preliminary build below. This comes directly from Newegg but I wanted to be sure everything would fit well together and if anything was junk. I am fairly new at knowing when something is crap or not. I have a general understanding of what goes into the build, but need help from the experts, such as yourselves.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Within the next couple of weeks, depending on how this goes :)

Budget Range: 600-700 After Rebates / After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming is at the top of the list. Then general home usage, maybe watch movies, surf interweb, etc. nothing too hard pressing. Mostly I want to be able to max out settings on games like Skyrim, Diablo 3 etc. at high resolutions.

Are you buying a monitor: I have a couple old ones to start with, but recommendations on monitors wouldnt hurt. Id like a pair for home use.

Parts to Upgrade: All of them

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com but open to other sites. this is simply the one I am most familiar with.

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution:1920x1080

Additional Comments: Skyrim or Diablo 3 and the like. Nothing else too intense. But I do want a high end machine that will last me a long while in terms of performance and gaming. I know that I might have to upgrade parts as they age or new things come out, but I prefer high end with more capability than less.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Everything I own is old. And I really want to get back into video games.

Below is a preliminary list of items, basically gathered by Newegg when I went searching for the video card included in this list. From what I understand, this is the place to start, sort of build around the video card.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX - $109.99

MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - $79.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM - $56.99

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Transfer Kit - $149.99

Rosewill R5 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Case, comes with 2 x front fans, Fan Controller, USB2.0 & USB3.0 front ports, Removable top and lower front filter panels - $69.99

Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-650-M 650W ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - $99.99

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity (100315L) - $134.99
5 answers Last reply
More about gaming build double check
  1. All of these brands are great. However, just the 128GB SSD doesn't give you much storage... Are you planning on buying a mechanical hard drive as well? Also, if you plan on overclocking you for sure want to invest in an aftermarket cooler as the stock cooler wont be able to deal with the temps. Apart from that you should be fine
  2. Awesome thanks!

I was planning on a large standard HD for normal storage and the SSD for booting the OS. I think this settle up will handle parallel drives fine.

Gotcha, new cooler. Any good recommendations? I just want a smooth machine that serves me well.
  3. I've heard good things about this one:
    link
    And with the rebate right now its only $20 so it shouldn't hurt your budget too much ;)
  4. Nice! Ok I tagged that one for pick up. Thanks yosh
  5. No problem, that computer's gonna be sweet!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product