Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Switching from a standard to administrator profile

Last response: in Windows 7
February 1, 2012 7:15:59 PM

Hi, I recently started having this problem.

I log onto my standard user account and want to switch to the Administrator account.
I log off the standard account (start/log off) which takes me to the Log In icons.
I click the Administrator Icon. The desktop opens for a moment then goes black. The computer stays on but no visual desktop.

Recent changes are I added a Killer Xeno Pro network card and updated to the latest drivers.

To try and correct the problem I have:
1. deleted the Administrator password.
2. Disabled Killer Xeno network card from starting in "Start up programs", in msconfig.

Any ideas ? thanks all
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2012 7:35:17 PM

Does it do the same thing in Safe Mode?
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2012 11:18:11 PM

Try logging into the pc in Safe Mode.
Are you using Windows 7 Home Premium?
If so, create another admin account and then log in to that new admin account and see if the screen still goes blank.
Related resources
February 11, 2012 3:10:23 AM

danny2000 said:
Try logging into the pc in Safe Mode.
Are you using Windows 7 Home Premium?
If so, create another admin account and then log in to that new admin account and see if the screen still goes blank.

Hi Danny, I am running Windows 7.
What I did was I created new Administrator and standard user accounts. The problem still occurs but interestingly enough it doesn't happen in safe mode.
Now, I am suspecting it might be my video drivers.

I've noticed when I overclock the GPU the settings aren't shared between the profiles either. In GPU-Z and or CCC they display different. If I OC the GPU 800/1050 in the admin acct then shut down and reboot into the standard account the stock settings 760/1050 will display. I find that odd because I think they should remain the same for all profiles.

1. Switching between user accounts doesn't work unless in safe mode (video drivers aren't loaded there).
2. In normal Windows boot after logging off either account I will see the desktop of the newly opened account momentarily but then the screen goes black. The computer does not shut down.
3. Video settings aren't shared between accounts.

So I'm thinking I may try re-installing the drivers. You agree?

Thanks buddy

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 4:02:27 AM

Yes Gerry, I would definitly reinstall the video card drivers and any directories that still reside after that; Yeah, a pain in the arse.
I have not done any overclocking so I am not certain if that has anything to do with it all, but I don't believe it does.

Usually, screen resolution is profile specific I thought; Maybe that only applies to domain computers? I'm not certain.
February 20, 2012 11:00:37 PM

Best answer selected by gerry410.
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2012 11:05:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!