Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which Build will be the best?

Last response: in Components
December 1, 2012 12:20:40 PM

CURRENT SPECS:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 Prescott, Single Core with HT, 3.06 GHz.
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 2 GB
GPU: Nvidia 9500 GT
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock G41C-VS
POWER: 450 W
STORAGE: 80 GB SATA II 3.0 GB/s

BUILD I:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 270, Dual Core, 3.4 GHz
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 2 GB
GPU: Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6450 1 GB DDR3
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2

BUILD II:
CPU: Intel Pentium G630, Dual Core, 2.7 GHz
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 6 GB
GPU: n/a
MOTHERBOARD: Intel DH61HO

BUILD III:
CPU: Intel Dual Core E5800, Dual Core, 3.2 GHz
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 6 GB
GPU: Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6450 1 GB DDR3
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock G41C-VS

Rest everything is same in each build.

I will use it for mild gaming, little video editing, browsing, downloading, movies etc.

Which Build is best and why?
P.S In the third build I will use the same Mobo which I have and use the extra money on RAM and GPU. HDD, Power will come from my current system.

More about : build

December 1, 2012 12:47:52 PM

Build 3 is the best out of those systems, it's got more memory then build 1 as well as a more powerful CPU then the other systems.

If you overclock the E5800 and use that extra money you have on a solid GPU you could have a very nice system overall.
m
l
December 1, 2012 12:52:30 PM

Hmmm, light gaming does not necessarily mean games that are light on resources.

Build II ruled out for having no graphics accelerator card, the Intel on-die doesn't really count as any better than a display card.

Between the Athlon II and the E5800 I would go for the Athlon II because it's the more powerful of the processors, but I cannot outright recommend Build I because I'd be looking for a minimum of 4GB of RAM.

What's with the "P.S."? It implies that the final spec for Build III will be different from what you posted.
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2012 12:53:15 PM

Actually build 2 is a Sandy Bridge dual core - vastly superior to the old Core2 Duo. Gaming really will need to be 'light' though with the graphics muscle you'll have to play with (or lack thereof). For non-gaming purposes a G630 is a modern, quality CPU that will serve you well.
m
l
December 1, 2012 12:54:58 PM

By the way, don't base your decision on the processor's clock speed - that's a really inaccurate and outdated way of doing things. Even 10 years ago there were Athlon XPs outperforming Pentium 4s despite having significantly lower clock speeds.

EDIT: And what's said about the graphics in build 2 is correct, but only in that the integrated graphics are hugely inferior to modern cards that aren't rock-bottom budget end. The 6450 you're looking at there really is rock-bottom budget end though, so there's not really much difference there. Check out this chart:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-cpu-review-overclo...

You'll see G630 is rated two tiers above the older options.
m
l
December 1, 2012 1:51:26 PM

I'm running a very bad PC so even an Athlon will be quite an improvement.
As for "P.S", it's just to mention that I wont buy a new mobo, simply place a new CPU.
So what do I do Guys???
m
l

Best solution

December 1, 2012 1:58:52 PM

Build 2, without a doubt. 6GB is an interesting quantity of RAM though? I'd say stick with 4GB, but with memory being so cheap, I guess it won't have much impact on price anyway. With the motherboard you've chosen, you could always add in a more powerful graphics card at some point in the future.
December 1, 2012 3:26:31 PM

Best answer selected by 5hubh4m.
m
l
!