Sign in with
Your question

Video Cards and Branding

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 27, 2012 4:02:26 PM

I bought and built 90% of my computer tower, and all thats left now is a videocard.

I bought 2 videocards a while back (still unopened... and yes I was that indecisive) which were the Diamond Radeon HD 7970 and EVGA GTX 670. I know cards are card, and what it really boils down that makes every company different is warranty and customer service.

I heard pretty good things about EVGA, Diamond... not so much. What are good companies for nVidia and ATI cards?

I'm hoping to finally make my decision soon. I'm planning on returning the GTX 670 vanilla for the EVGA GTX 670 FTW version if I'm sticking with nVidia... otherwise another 7970.

EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Current Tower Setup:
Corsair Carbide 500R White
Intel i5-3570K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600 Vengeance Low Profile
Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Corsair TX750V2 PSU 750W

More about : video cards branding

a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 4:11:26 PM

EVGA is good for NVIDIA. Sapphire is good for Radeon. ASUS is good for both. These are probably the top companies, but MSI and Gigabyte are also fine.
m
l
May 27, 2012 4:51:39 PM

Anyone have any experiences with RMA/Customer service with these companies?

I really wish I wasn't so indecisive with these things :( 
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 5:06:32 PM

RayLancer said:
Anyone have any experiences with RMA/Customer service with these companies?

I really wish I wasn't so indecisive with these things :( 

No offense but your really over thinking this. Over the past 6 years, I have experience with just about every well known brand [MSI, XFX, EVGA, Powercolor, Sapphire, Diamond, Giagabyte, etc]. The cards from these companies all work fine; sure, there is a lot of distrust towards PowerColor specifically, but I never had a issue w/ them. Also keep in mind regardless of which company you buy from, there is always a chance of getting a sour lemon; I've actually got 2 DOAs in a row from Giagbyte.... chances of that? less than 0.1% imo.

As far as customer service goes, I would recommend Gigagbyte, Asus, EVGA, MSI and Sapphire. I have experience with their customer service when my friends were having issues with their hardware. I've had one instance w/ Sapphire where they put me on hold for 20 minutes, but aside from that everything was taken care of.

~Coffee
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 5:15:41 PM

^ I agree that you are overthinking things ;) 

That being said I am a bit of an EVGA fanboy I guess you could say. They have the best warranty in the business that even covers overclocking and overvolting as well as adding aftermarket cooling to their cards. You just have to put the stock cooler back on if you have to RMA the card. I also love the 90 step up program where they will give you credit for full retail price if you upgrade in 90 days to better card. They have great forums and even have their own overclocking tools, EVGA Precision and the EVGA Overclock Scanner. I am pretty sure the warranty transfers to the new owner if you sell the card as well. I'm on my 5th card in a row from them and I am pretty sure when the GTX 660/660 Ti comes out I will upgrade again to another EVGA card.
m
l
May 27, 2012 5:23:54 PM

Thanks everyone! I problem am over thinking it but I just want to know if something does happen down the road I don't have to deal with crappy customer service or jerked around. These aren't exactly cheap cards so I'm a bit cautious, and this is my first tower I built. I've been using laptops for the last 8 years.
m
l
!